Share |
Don't Check Your Brain at the Door...

Author

05-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Hey Friends,

Last night i had a great conversation with Greg Newton and Mike Joplin about Dr. Young's exercises. Mike told Greg and I about how he modified Dr. Young's exercises to maximize his own development and create the beautiful physique you all saw in his photo's on the "Dr. Young's Student from 64/65" thread. No one told 19 year old Mike Joplin how to modify the exercises and make them his own. Mike was a self starter and just did it. He didn't ask anyone's permission.

Now compare this to earlier today. A wile e coyote tried posting a thread with the title, "Guide me.....Yoga for men only".

This poor guy then specifically referred to an exercise where Dr Young instructs one to grab the top corner of an open doorway by the molding going around the door frame..He said that Dr. Young did not explain how to do it. Now here's the deal. This is a perfect example of someone that is lazy and does not want to apply himself in the least or work with the instructions to modify them and make them work to his own best advantage. He wants someone to hold his hand and show him exactly how it is done. And here is the truth straight up. E-V-E-R-Y exercise that Dr. Young presented had to be modified by the individual to there own best advantage due to differences in limb and somatotype.

Example: Dr. Young's doorway exercise for the shoulders. The instructions read to stand in an open doorway and reach up to the corner and grab the outer corner on each side of the door frame and then perform the exercise, Two things become immediately obvious. One is that a man 6' 3" and a man 5' 3" will each need to make adjustments in order to do the exercise because of differences in height and limb length. And two, not all doorway's have moldings or are at the same height. I'm telling you this because it was obvious that Dr. Young expected his students to use their intelligence and make necessary modifications. I'm also telling my friends this because when we release our Dr. Young book titled, "All Gain, No Pain" you will be instructed that not all exercises will fit your somatotype exactly as written and when that happens it will become necessary for YOU to make adjustments in order to perform it, if in fact you feel you want to perform it. To me this is common sense. It is not necessary for you to beg permission to modify or adjust an exercise to your own best advantage. Instead, just "DO IT!" And wile e. coyote's take a tip from me. When I was a young teen I did not have a pull-up bar. Instead I used a tree branch year round. Would a pull-up bar have given me better results? No way! I did it the hard way and I had fantastic results because of it.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Hey John,

From day one I realized you were only giving suggestions and not absolutes when it comes to training. No one and I mean no one discusses the role of leverage and different limb lengths play into how an exercise will work for someone. It is as if some who present exercise advice see generic human automatons.

You have to fit things to meet your needs and abilities. Even though we are about the same height and have roughly the same kind of look, our limb lengths are different, and beside the fact you can do a whole lot more - various exercise movements work differently for us. It is not one size fits all.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

05-26-2011, 12:28 PM

There is always ways to solve a problem, it just a little experimenting and doing-experimenting and doing-
experimenting and doing, and so on until you come up with a solution to the problem. the problems we face
will bring great insight if we let them, ask Thomas Edison,He did not look at anything he tried as failing just
another step in solving a problem- then a light bulb came on! If some thing does not work make an adjustment
this might involve multiple adjustments,you just might have your light bulb moment
The most underused resource we have, that has been talked about here is our mind. most time we look out-
side for a solution, when we should look within! The problem is we want someone else to solve are problems
thus giving them control over you.
You know it is funny the comments on you tube about the way a person does does a particular exercise,ei
your not doing it the right way,mean while the guy doing the exercise is built like Hershel Walker,the other
guy will never know maybe pee wee herman

Share |

Legacy Member

05-27-2011, 06:05 AM

Kevin,
Nice reference to Edison. I've always remembered (ok..not verbatim) when he was asked by someone....'How can you keep going when you have fail 100 times?" To which he replied, " Ah...but I have not failed 100 times....I have succeeded in finding out 100 times what doesn't work......"

The same goes for us and exercises and how we need to modify. As as been stated for the 7 years that I have been on this forum.....we all have different leverage points and we have to adjust and figure out what works for us....whether its tension, hand position, etc.......it's not one size fits all.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Adapt- modify-adjust to fit

Share |

Legacy Member

05-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm not exactly sure why. But, for some reason I feel the need to relay a recent experience/action in this post.

As many of you are aware, my family and I recently moved into a new/larger house. Along with the usual clothing, furniture, etc. I also had to move my workout “stuff”.

Being a devoted fan and member of this forum, there is little in the way of equipment to move. I have a couple of toning wheels, one set each of 10 and 20 lb dumb-bells (I’m still trying to determine how best to discard both sets. I don’t want to just throw them out). But, I did come across numerous copies of workouts I’ve printed off from this site over the years.

Here’s the part that occurred to me while reading this post. I believe I threw most of the copies out. I say believe because things have been pretty nutty between the move and the recent passing of a grand-mother-in-law.

It’s not at all that the copies weren’t worth keeping. I just decided that a) I haven’t “done” ALL of the workouts regularly for some time, and b) it struck me that I didn’t need to keep the pieces of paper in order to hold onto the ideas I was trying to glean from them.

Even though I by no means claim to “know it all” when it comes to exercise and physical culture, I firmly believe that there’s enough stored in my memory banks to give myself a darn good workout whenever and wherever I choose to do so.

That being said, once things “settle” back down, and I regain my ability to commit to daily morning workouts, I’m going to try my best to keep some minimal foundation, but to mix it up often to keep things interesting. I know the daily exercise keeps my body fresh, and I think the variety will keep my mind fresh as well.

Anyway, I felt the need to share this. Who knows? Maybe it will be helpful to someone.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

05-27-2011, 06:58 PM

I liken an individual's "exercise prescription" to that of a medical prescription.

We all know which exercises work which parts of the body, just as we know which drugs can be used to treat/control certain conditions. However, the amount required to be of benefit has to be individualised.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by farrout; 05-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Share |

05-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Very few things are more personal or individual than the exercises that you perform. They are a reflection and a projection of your individual goals, ambitions, and total self. They should change with you and reflect where you are in your life's journey at any given point.

Share |