Share |
MUR Workout: Don't ask. Well, ask if you want

11-16-2009, 07:15 PM

New thread. Same old workout.

Well, not the same. At least not to start.

I said I would post the Hogsback hill bike ride whenever I attempted it. So, at the behest of my neighbor who can do 100 LIederman pushups (more than I can do) and reports around 250 squats, I mounted up my trusty, classic old Schwinn LE Tour with a new rim--the old rim had 4 broken spokes. After a being hit by a car, straightened by a spoke wrench and replacing about 30 spokes at odd times--I finally caved and put on my friend's donated rim with free tire and free tube. Read. I'm cheap.

I think the bike is as old as me. That's 52 years old now.

This guy never gives up. "Let's go do the Hogsback. I can climb any hill. You haven't give me any hill I can't climb."

Well, it may have taken him a couple of months. But he had climbed every hill I put before him. Just do those squats, I said. And you'll be able to climb those hills. Why did I ever tell him about Hogsback hill?

But he wanted to do the Hogsback. He didn't know what he was getting into.

"You don't understand. Doing the Hogsback hill is an entirely different animal. It's like doing 6 or 7 Indiana Pikes ( 7 - 8 degree incline for about 1 mile) and then getting ready to hit the hog. The Hogsback Hill."

The Hogsback Hill is famous for hills around here. It's pretty big. A 9 percent grade of about a 2 miles or so.

"I can do it. I can do it. I can climb any hill. You haven't given me any hill I can't climb."

"Listen, you don't understand."

It was hopeless. He believed he could do the Hogsback hill. And I believe he can. Just might be a few months and work up to about 500 or squats in one set. And then, maybe then, he could do the Hogsback hill.

"Ok. Whatever. 5:30 A.M. 6:00 AM Wake me up in the morning."

"You're kidding, right?"

Well, if anyone knows me. Well, if anyone has known me for any period of time. They know I have a dry sense of humor. They never know if I'm serious or not.

"Yeah, you heard me. 5:30 - 6:00."

It's 5:30 A.M. The day after Friday the 13th. Drats. I hear someone walking up the stairs. I knew I should have went to bed early. He really believed me. But I wanted to see if that refurbished printer I got off Ebay for almost nothing really worked.

I acted like I was asleep. I think he left. And then I started to feel guilty.

Okay. Okay. Breathe in deeply. Abdominal breath. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Oh man. I'm pumped. I've always wanted to climb the Hogsback Hill ever since I saw that hill through the windows of the old van. Wow, what a hill. Who would be crazy enough to climb that on a bike. That's gotta be impossible.

But after doing 2,250 squats in 1 set, I knew now it would be a piece of cake.

So, I put on the rim. Headed over to my friends to wake him up. It's 7:30 in the morning. And he's still asleep. The cats are awake. But he's still asleep.

"You ready to go?"

He finally appears. He hasn't even eaten breakfast. I ate my customary bowl of oatmeal with chocolate cocoa baking powder, cinnamon, and a healthy megadose of Amish Honey for extra energy along the way. I's expensive. I usually don't use that much honey. But this is Hogsback Hill day and it calls for some extra sugar.

We take off. I buy a few apples for the trip. The bananas weren't ripe. And as I predicted, there were about 6 or 7 Indiana Pike hills to go up and down before getting to the Hog. I stop at the top and take a picture.

"Let's go back. I wanna go home."

"Hey, listen. You're the one that kept pestering me to go up Hogsback Hill. You're going, if you have to get off your bike and walk it, you're going to go up that hill."

His eyes looked down. He looked at the hill. He looked at the Hog. He looked back home.

"Let's go. I've dreamed about doing the Hogsback hill and I'm not going back. I didn't come this far to turn back."

And so we went. About a third to a half way up, he dismounts. He has to backpack it up the hill. Well, he's only 32 years old. Another twenty years and he should be able to conquer the hill. He'll be 52 like me.

"See you at the top I said."

I reach the top. Wait awhile. He finally makes it. A few more miles and we're in town. Get something to eat and we go back. At least he didn't call and ask if I didn't want someone to come and pick us up this time. He knows me better by now.

That wasn't bad.

Pikes Peak here I come.

"I can climb it. I can climb it. I can climb any hill," he said.

"You don't understand. Pikes Peak is like about 100 Hogsback hills."

Hank

Share |

11-16-2009, 08:03 PM

Attaboy, Hank!
What a great story. And a great accomplishment. Maybe when I grow up and get big and strong I can perform feats of derring-do!

Share |

11-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Hey Hank, where you been?

What happened???

I thought for sure you had finally met an angry bear on one of your wild wilderness workouts.

Or perhaps had fallen off a ledge on the edge of a rock next to a raging creek or something...

Good to see you posting again...

By the way, what IS a MUR Workout???

AND.
Quote:
"2,250 squats in 1 set"
Whaa...

Where do you get the inspiration & motivation???

WB

Share |

11-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Hey Cliff and Whacky. Good to see that you guys are still around.

I've been around. Dropped out of the loop for awhile.

Haven't seen no bears. Few deer, groundhogs, etc. But no bear. It's about that time of year, though.

MUR. Ministries of the Upper Room. Starting a new faith project to include missions, publishing, website, exercise group, music ministry. Looks like the Lord's already provided a building. Plenty of room with plenty of opportunity.

Glad you asked. I see somebody has still some GUTS around here. Seems like every time I drop off the map and come back something changes. GUTS? I guess I'm still in the right forum. My thread got transferred with the rest of the innards around here. I'm not much for change. But I guess I can go with the flow.

Today's workout:

TIVI: a few reps

Pushups: 42 Tiger Stretch
Took a video of my Pushups awhile back. Boy, did it look bad. Corrected the form and decreased the numbers. Up to 42. Hope to hit 50 again with good form.

Squats: 500
495 Tiger Bend, 5 Great Gama Jump Squats.
Also, I think that was 2.025 and not 2250. I'll have to do 3,000 to make up for the slip of the pen.

Back Bridge: 180 count.

One thing I notice after a long bike ride ( like that last one to New Bethlehem from Kittanning and back) is that my legs usually cramp up if I fall asleep laying face up. I suppose a lot of the blood flow is cut off if you lie on your gluteus maximus. Was finally able to allay the cramps by going up into a shoulder bridge and doing some deep abdominal breathing.

There's something to be said about breathing in while stretching the muscles and tendons in the back, legs, and arms during the back bridge and the gymnastic bridge. That's probably why the mimicking the cat in his stretching and flexing routine is such an effective exercise.

By accident I was able to experience almost immediate relief from cramps. Can't emphasize enough how greatly improved the Tiger Stretch pushups and back bridge are with deep breathing synchronization.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

11-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Hi Hank,

Great story. You know, you are a really good writer. You're in the right place. With the onset of John's new book, he changed the name of the daily workout forum. But, any workouts are welcome, not just G.U.T.S. related workouts. And I'll have to say this as well, you certainly have the GUTS. 500 Tiger Bend Squats are nothing to sneeze at, not to mention the 2000+.

Greg Newton

Share |

11-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Greg.

Good to hear from you. Looks like you're still slimming down and adding the muscle.

Quote:
Whaa...

Where do you get the inspiration & motivation???

WB
I can attribute the high volume numbers to some wacky fellow who got me started on jump squats. Won't mention any wacky names.

Today's workout:

TIVI: a few reps

Pushups: 42 Tiger Stretch
Reps might be less, but the form is definitely better. And the results are impressive.

But the bottom line is keep on working and don't be afraid to take a step backward so you can take a few steps forward.

Squats: 250
200 Tiger Bend, 50 Great Gama jumpers in about 6:30

Jumpers probably do more developing endurance than doing the regular Tiger Bend. Just gotta remember not to go overboard. Like the Great Gama, do 'em at the most in sets of 100. He regularly did ten sets of 100 to reach a thousand.

Did a thousand in one set once. But slowed down to about 500 every 18 - 20 minutes. I'm usually going around 38 - 42 squats a minute.

Back Bridge: 180 counts

Hank

Share |

11-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I can attribute the high volume numbers to some wacky fellow who got me started on jump squats. Won't mention any wacky names.
You jumped way ahead of me, Iv'e been slackin!!!'

Quote:
I'll have to do 3,000 to make up for the slip of the pen.
Just remember, when the Hindi wrestlers did that many Bethaks, they were expected to at least do half that many Dands!

Your squatting prowess makes me want to get a new copy of Combat Conditioning (Mines deteriorated years ago now) and join the Furey Inner Circle or something to get motivated for some serious Royal Court activities???

Matt has a cartoon version now, probably would probably be good if I got that one, since his picture on the first one I got, always scared my wife

http://www.mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html

Really, though, I'd say this place is a lot better, with a free forum with a friendly atmosphere & all, not always just trying to sell you something.

To be fair to Matt Furey though, his e-mails HAVE been getting a lot better & more informative. Almost capturing a bit of the spirit of when CC 1st came out.

Anyways...

Great job Hank!

Last edited by Scott Silva; 11-22-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: pladera'musu'ca

Share |

11-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Was trying to figure out what a GUTS workout was. What does the GUTS acronym standd for. Won't mention some of my guesses. I might get censored. But then I finally found the real definition here on the website.

I thought it was some secret passed out through private emails. I didn't have the guts to ask.

But I guess, basically, it should be a 24 minute workout alternating sets between pushups, situps, and 12 minutes of squats or stepups for legwork. Don't know. Don't have the book. But sounds like a good high intensity workout.

I use the same principle at times when doing squats, I find that after doing about 50 Great Gama Jumpers doing 100 Tiger Bend gives me time to recuperate to do another 50 Great Gama Jumpers. I'll have to try my version of the GUTS workout in 24 minutes. Should be interesting.

Short workout today.

TIVI: few reps

Pushups: 42 Tiger Bend

Squats: 100 done on a 6" ledge. Really makes it harder.

Pullups: 1, 3, 5, 3, 1

Like these pullups. Starting to see a V. Hopefully, can get up to 14.

Hank

Share |

11-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Today's gutless workout:

TIVI: a few reps.

Farmer Burns Stomach Flatteners: a few reps to get the blood flowing.

Pushups: 42 Tiger Stretch in 1 set.

Squats: 250 in 1 set
100 Tiger Bend, 50 Great Gama Jumpers, 50 Tiger Bend, 50 Great Gama jumpers

Back Bridge: 180 count

Liederman chest press worked in somewhere above.

Pullups:

So far: 1, 3

Plan on hitting 5 and going down the pyramid (3, 1)

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

11-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Hank,

The basic G.U.T.S. template is based on John's newest book: 50 Atlas III pushups, followed by 75-100 Atlas Sit-ups, followed by 300 Tiger Bend Squats, followed by 100 Atlas Sit-ups, followed by 50 Atlas III pushups, and then crowned with the DSR Milo for two sets each side. You do this in 24-28 minutes.

There is also a template that utilizes the Tiger Stretch Pushup. The premise is that you place your exercises in a strategic order for maximum benefit in strength, flexibility and cardiovascular endurance in the shortest amount of time. I use the template for military pushups, but do Tee pushups or Atlas I pushups.

I hope this helps explain the routine.

Greg

Share |

Tags
bicycle, gama, hill, powerhank, squats