Share |
"Why Men Don't Live as Long"

Author

05-17-2019, 04:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail with a link to an article about why men die younger than women.

The article states that there are three stages to a man's life--Stud, Dud, & Thud.

I was asked if I believe the information provided.

Here it is: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

---John Peterson

Share |

05-18-2019, 11:07 AM

The research cited by the author in the article doesn't support his conclusion. The study on testosterone supplementation looked at men greater than 75 with preexisting heart disease. All that's proving is that maybe you don't want to take testosterone supplementation if you're over 75 and have heart disease. That seems reasonable.

The second study I read from the article is using a statistical method to speculate that in populations of men with a higher level of testosterone that, perhaps, they have a greater incidence of prostate cancer.

The second study isn't really a knock on testosterone. It's a knock on too much testosterone. It's saying that, if their math is correct and their conclusions are valid, there might be a tendency to develop prostate cancer if you have a higher testosterone level when you're young. It used a "novel statistical method" meaning it's not a well-studied way to analyze anything.

If you're looking for the big reason men die, on average, a lot younger than women, you need to look to a mix of their dangerous occupations, piss-poor coping skills and objective risk taking when they're younger. Of their three factors, one is controllable, one is only partly controllable and, as far as the dangerous occupations, somebody has to do them and men are most suited.

The piss-poor coping skills are most on my mind this past week. In my 52 years, I've personally known three men that have taken their lives by suicide. When a man attempts suicide, he goes for a gun to the head. Women go for less-fatal methods like overdosing on some pills or, maybe hanging where they can be discovered. Men are objectively better at killing and that includes killing themselves.

This young man, a father of two in his early 30s, worked too much. About 18 months ago he saw an opportunity to make more money. It involved a long commute each workday. Instead of moving his family to the town where the opportunity was, he kept them in a town where it was "better" for them. I'm sure he was probably putting in a lot of call and working more than five days a week.

That left no room in his life for his wife and two daughters, really, the ones he was trying to improve life for by making almost twice what he had made before. Never mind friendships with other men, people who could really understand him.

When he hit a road bump as everyone does in life every now and then, he took his life.

That's how you end up on the floor of the bathroom on Mother's Day, brains blown out by the very handgun your bought to protect your family during better times.

You're never going to have men living as long as women. That's not the fault of the male sex hormone. Like Kendrick Castillo who confronted the shooter at his school and ended up shot. He gave up his life so others could live. 18 years old. That brings down the average, just like the young fathers who kill themselves in their 20s and 30s.

We shouldn't want men to be less manly in the way Castillo was ( https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/col...c432964de7ced8 ). We need to realize the idea of a Sabbath is a matter of life and death even if our society is 24/7, we need to realize the value of friendships with other men, we need to have the courage to open up to other men with our troubles and problems.

If we can do those three things then that gap will close a little.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-19-2019, 11:28 AM

I thought the article was a load of crap.
Here in Minnesota the average man lives to 77 and the average women lives to 78. As far as I am concerned that is not much of a difference.
So men perform more dangerous jobs, sports, and hobbies and on average they live a year less. I don't know if that is a bad trade-off for a one year difference in life expectancy. I wonder if the difference is statistically significant.

Tim

Share |