Share |
Harder Does Not Guarantee Better a Result

Author

05-28-2019, 04:35 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry that you guys can't make responses to my posts at the present time BUT that will all change with the new forum.

In the meantime, I want to respond to a question about a principle that you all need to be aware of and that is that 'Harder' as in 'More Intense' does not necessarily mean or guarantee a better result. It only guarantees a different result.

For example, an Atlas III Push-Up utilizes a considerably greater percentage of your body weight than an Atlas I but that DOES NOT automatically mean that it will be more result producing just because you have increased the percentage of body weight utilized and thereby the level of intensity. Other factors need to be considered as well and one of those factors is the 'angle' that the muscles are being worked at is considerably different for an Atlas III as opposed to an Atlas I. The angle itself that the muscle is worked at will yield a different result. This means that it is NOT just the level of resistance alone that is the issue.

For example, more than 40 years ago I had a discussion with Dr. Laurence Morehouse about the progression one could follow to make the Push-Up more intense. Dr. Morehouse had stated in his book 'Maximum Performance' that in order to make the Push-up more intense that all one would have to do is to progressively elevate one's feet until in the final, most intense stage one is performing one's push-ups in the handstand position. During the discussion, I told Dr. Morehouse that changing the angle by elevating the feet changes more than the amount of resistance being pushed through the range of motion because you will, in fact, have changed the range of motion itself and are therefore utilizing different muscle fibers. Trust me on this, you are utilizing completely different muscle groups at completely different angles in performing Handstand Push-ups as opposed to Atlas I. And if you were to do the Handstand Push-Up the way I used to do them between two boxes in order to get a complete range of motion you then engage other muscle groups at the bottom of the movement.

So how do you make an exercise more intense while maintaining exactly the same angle of development? There are basically two ways to make any bodyweight exercise more intense and that is by either slowing the movement down dramatically as in 'Super Slow' training which does activate far more muscle fibers or by doing the same exact movement but changing the level of resistance by using a weight vest or surgical rubber tubing. The weight vest is the only way that I am aware of that one could perform both Super Slow and increase the level resistance simultaneously as one becomes far stronger. Changing angles though very effective will change the angle that the muscles are being developed at and thereby change the result. That can be advantageous or disadvantageous depending on your desired outcome.

Bottom line: increased resistance while maintaing the exact same angle of performance is the only way to increase the result at that particular angle. Changing the angle to increase the level of resistnce will also change the angle of development.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Hi, when you perform atlas1 pushups you incorporate your lats which helps the movement

Last edited by solytrain; 05-29-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Share |