Share |
Okay, so I didn't make 50

05-19-2013, 08:36 AM

So I didn't make 50 push-ups after 28 days and I'm only doing variation #2 due to shoulder and wrist problems from when I used to lift weights, but my numbers did go from 11 to 26 (I probably could have hit 30 but I wanted to keep strict form) in 4 weeks. Also my wrist and shoulder don't hurt when I do push-ups now (though I can also probably attribute a lot of that to ISOs, DVR, and VRT).

So this program definitely works. I'll probably switch up to variation #3 (Atlas 1) and start over from week 1 so this carpet burn on my knees can heal up.

Thanks John for putting this program together and God bless.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
So I didn't make 50 push-ups after 28 days and I'm only doing variation #2 due to shoulder and wrist problems from when I used to lift weights, but my numbers did go from 11 to 26 (I probably could have hit 30 but I wanted to keep strict form) in 4 weeks. Also my wrist and shoulder don't hurt when I do push-ups now (though I can also probably attribute a lot of that to ISOs, DVR, and VRT).

Sounds like pretty good going to me. You should be congratulated. The good thing is, this program works for several cycles; not just one.

Greg Newton

Share |

05-19-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks Greg,

I do have a question though. If you're staying with the same variation of push-up after week 4 do you just continue with the week 4 daily percentages? I'm going back to week 1 because I'm moving to a more advanced push-up variation but was just wondering what percentages you would use for say a week 5 if you're continuing with the same push-up variation as weeks 1 thru 4?

Share |

05-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Hi z-p

YOU have done a great job. Going from 11 to 26 is an incredible jump in numbers.

If you keep this up your going to go very far in developing your strength and physique.

Well done and keep up the good work that you are doing.

KEITH JAMES.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I do have a question though. If you're staying with the same variation of push-up after week 4 do you just continue with the week 4 daily percentages? I'm going back to week 1 because I'm moving to a more advanced push-up variation but was just wondering what percentages you would use for say a week 5 if you're continuing with the same push-up variation as weeks 1 thru 4?
Do your test at the end of four weeks and start back at week one. This will give your body a break-in period. Weightlifters call this cycling or periodization.

Good Luck,

Greg

Share |

05-24-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
Do your test at the end of four weeks and start back at week one. This will give your body a break-in period. Weightlifters call this cycling or periodization.

Good Luck,

Greg
Makes sense. Thanks Greg!

Share |

Author

05-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Hello Z-P,

First off, Congratulations! A 150% improve is certainly an achievement worth celebrating.

Now as relates to variation #3) You may or may not know that the Atlas I (variation#3) was literally the foundation of the Charles Atlas dynamic Tension Training System. It was also responsible for transforming the physiques of more young men in world record time than any other single exercise ever developed. Although it is generally true that you are using a smaller percentage of your body weight (approx 10% less) than in performing a standard military push-up (variation #4) you are moving it through a much greater range of motion and as a result you are infusing more highly oxygenated blood into the muscle tissue of the upper body as well as greatly enhancing lung capacity and heart function. In fact, no exercise is more direct as relates to enhanced heart and lung function as is this one exercise. So go to it my friend. It's one great exercise.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Hello Z-P,

First off, Congratulations! A 150% improve is certainly an achievement worth celebrating.

Now as relates to variation #3) You may or may not know that the Atlas I (variation#3) was literally the foundation of the Charles Atlas dynamic Tension Training System. It was also responsible for transforming the physiques of more young men in world record time than any other single exercise ever developed. Although it is generally true that you are using a smaller percentage of your body weight (approx 10% less) than in performing a standard military push-up (variation #4) you are moving it through a much greater range of motion and as a result you are infusing more highly oxygenated blood into the muscle tissue of the upper body as well as greatly enhancing lung capacity and heart function. In fact, no exercise is more direct as relates to enhanced heart and lung function as is this one exercise. So go to it my friend. It's one great exercise.

---John Peterson
Thanks for the insight John. I know you catch a lot of flack and get accused of being a huckster (and I'm sure worse). The scriptures say that a prophet is not without honor, save in his own country and in his own house. You could say the house or country you represent is that of those who instruct others in matters of personal well-being. They say "no pain, no gain", you say you can make gains without pushing yourself to pain. I think most "instructors" are upset because FMT, FMI, and FMR don't provide numbers people can brag about (how much weight people can throw around in a gym).

Well, FMI and FMR helped me to be able to do the initial 11 pain free and just 4 weeks on the push-up program produced a 150% improvement--and no shoulder or wrist pain because of multiple sets training to failure. And it didn't take spending hours at the gym--just a couple minutes every hour or so.

So John, thanks for all of your research and for being an example--it should be obvious to the naysayers that you don't look like you do from a lifestyle of guzzling beer and pigging out on pizza. I mean, SOMETHING you're teaching must be working.

Z-P

Share |

Tags
living strength, pushups