For all of you that are interested in becoming extraordinary please view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YficBlvPwWQ

Then lets discuss.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

01-06-2019, 12:11 PM

It's an interesting approach and I admire the discipline of it. The closest to doing the Wim Hoff Method by any stretch is taking cold showers and training in the snow wearing shorts and a t-shirt lol.

I have taken a plunge into the lake up here when it was still really cold out in March of a few years ago and swam a pretty decent length between the shore and the dock. I've even done a full workout hitting the tire with a 40 lb sledgehammer in 20 degree weather. The breathing aspect of this method is fairly simple but it takes practice. I've had friends who have done this method and they've said the same thing and even met Wim Hoff himself. The friends I'm talking about are Logan Christopher from Legendary Strength and Tyler Bramlett of Warrior Made.

It is tough and it's more of a mentality and has to be built up otherwise you'll be in serious trouble. I never had issues of hypothermia or getting sick from doing this and one of these days I'll attempt an ice bath and see how that goes.

Share |

01-06-2019, 11:50 PM

The human WILL is limitless !

Share |

01-07-2019, 12:00 PM

The full-body Kiveloff technique has the same heating effect, partially from vasodilation. I'm pretty sure the same brain centers contributing to euphoria are affected as well. The difference is the Kiveloff technique makes you really strong as well.

Share |

01-07-2019, 03:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABFD...hannel=sv3rige

Share |

Author

01-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Hello Jaymo,

I really enjoyed watching that video and it really cracked me up.

He is absolutely correct in many of the assertions he makes but it is interesting that there is a branch of medical research that is scientifically referred to as 'hormesis'. I learned about this from a good friend of mine by the name of Tom Bleasdale who happens to be a "healer' in the truest sense of the word.

Hormesis is a term used by toxicologists to refer to a biphasic dose response to an environmental agent characterized by a low dose stimulation or beneficial effect and a high dose inhibitory or toxic effect. In the fields of biology and medicine hormesis is defined as an adaptive response of cells and organisms to a moderate (usually intermittent) stress. Examples include ischemic preconditioning, exercise, dietary energy restriction and exposures to low doses of certain phytochemicals. Recent findings have elucidated the cellular signaling pathways and molecular mechanisms that mediate hormetic responses which typically involve enzymes such as kinases and deacetylases, and transcription factors such as Nrf-2 and NF-κB. As a result, cells increase their production of cytoprotective and restorative proteins including growth factors, phase 2 and antioxidant enzymes, and protein chaperones. A better understanding of hormesis mechanisms at the cellular and molecular levels is leading to and to novel approaches for the prevention and treatment of many different diseases.

Though hormesis does have a medical application I would never consider it to be even remotely related to what Friedrich Nietzsche, the German philosopher, famously said: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." This notion is especially ridiculous considering Nietzsche's rather short and miserable life having died of syphilis as a result of frequent visits with prostitutes---in other words---exposing himself to syphilis did not make him stronger. To the contrary he became weaker and weaked and ultimately insane before his death.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-08-2019, 12:45 PM

John,

I think there is a direct similarity between the extremes of hormesis (that which does not kill us makes us stronger) and your own exercise protocol and that of extreme weight lifting.

Thanks to you, we all know now that extremes of weights result in inevitable injury and debilitation. I think this extreme cold is in the same category! It might be good to take the odd cold, or really cool shower, but extreme cold (or heat either)? Bad stressors!!

Moderation in all things!

Share |

01-08-2019, 12:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMmH...hannel=sv3rige

And here is the same guy's take on extreme heat- saunas! "Don't do anything that you can't do for a long time" is a wonderful quote!

I do wish: A. that he would stop swearing reflexively B. Not play that horrible metal music!

But hey- that might be a generational thing...

Share |

01-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Cold, not for me. I hate winter.

Share |

Author

01-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Hey Jaymo,

It's interesting. The man makes some good statements but as relates to distance running there are men that I ran with on a regular basis that are still running to this day some 40 years later in spite of tremendous pain and debilitating over use injuries. For that reason only "Don't do anything that you can't do for a long time" would not really apply because these guys have been running for more than 40 years.

Nonetheless, the logic and sentiment behind: "Don't do anything that you can't do for a long time" is good advice.overall.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 01-08-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Share |