Share |
Concentrated Body Weight Calisthenics

Author

05-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Hello My Friends,

I have been having an ongoing dialog with a man that thinks using a weight vest is the same as lifting weights. I told him that I completely disagree.

Here's my logic. Due to Isometric Contraction and Concentrated bodyweight calisthenics, I am ultra lean and ultra hard. I do not know why Isometrics cause one's metabolism to heat up in the way that it does but it does. I used to do hundreds of Atlas Style Push-ups, Sit-Ups, Leg Raises, Squats, Calf Raises, and Dynamic Self Resistance exercises. When I went to Isometrics I didn't feel like doing hundreds of reps of the exercises outlined above after completing 15 minutes of Ultra Intense Isometrics. So after completing my Isometrics, I decided to use a weight vest in order to cut way back on my Iso-Dynamic exercise reps. For Push-Ups, I use a 32, 42, or 52-pound vest and my reps vary between 15 and 25 reps per set. I use the same weight for squats, lunges, and calf raises as I do for Push-Ups. I'm still doing the same movements as I did before but they are ultra concentrated with the same plane of motion I used before. I prefer intensity to volume at this stage of my life. I turn 67 years old in October and my waistline is 29".

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 05-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-19-2019, 11:02 AM

John and I are the same age and about the same height and we both have great hair. The resemblance ends there. I carry an additional 40 to 50 lbs of manly lard. I have told John on more that one occasion that he should bulk up like me and then he could skip the weight vest.
On a more serious note I think that I understand what he is doing. I really don't think that we have the same energy level as we age. I am still doing 300 pushups (100 Atlas l, ll and lll ) most days of the week. I put the timer on after each set of 50 and make sure I wait at least 10 minutes between sets. I could do more pushups, have increased reps per set, or do the sets quicker, but I would feel more tired the next day and frankly more pushups would not make me feel any better on the day I performed them.
I have no problem with John using a weight vest. He is so unbelievably strong that without the added weight, he'd have to do stupid numbers of calisthenics that would be appropriate for a teenager but not appropriate for someone eligible for Social Security. I you look at some of Gordon's posts, he is 80 and I think he is only doing isometrics and DVRs.
John is also practicing what he has always preached. He is listening to what his body is telling him and adjusting his workouts accordingly.
I see him fairly regularly and he is ripped.

Tim K

Share |