Share |
All Gain...No Pain...The Morehouse Way

Author

06-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have received questions regarding Dr Morehouse's books titled 'Total Fitness in 30 Minutes a Week' and 'Maximum Performance'. Both books include the 'Total Fitness in 30 Minutes A Week' Program.

The man asked me:"Mr. Peterson, is it really possible to be 'n excellent shape by any standards' at the end of 12 weeks as it states on the cover of total fitness?" The answer is YES! When you fully understand all of the components of the program.

The reason I can say that the Morehouse approach is so effective is because it has a 'foundation' that is the basis upon which the exercise program is built.

The Morehouse Foundation is:

#1) Stretch, Twist & Turn every joint of your body through its natural full range of motion. The idea is to put every joint through it's natural full range of motion in all directions just once. (Trust me on this, I know a lot of people that have NEVER purposely put each of their joints through itnatural range of motion and this is to be done daily. It's incredibly simple.)

#2) Stand for at least 2 hours each day and if you are very sedentary stand for three hours each day. This strengthens your bones and tones your circulation of blood and lymph. (Every minute spent walking, running or anything else you do on your feet will count toward your minumu time.

#3) Overload Lift: This is extremely simple and the way Dr. Morehouse explained it was that you simply lift something that is unusually heavy compared to your standard day to day load. He said it could be something as simple as lifting a hefty child or carrying bags of heavy groceries form the market to your car. Even easier is to perfrom the Full Body Isometric Contraction a dozen times each day.

#4) Heart walk: walk briskly for three minutes to stimulate your cardiovascular system. You can do this by bench stepping, walking up hill or any thing else that causes an elevted heart rate and stimulate respiration. Huffing and Puffing is fine and all it requires is 3 minutes.

#5) Burn 300 activity calories daily. I do this by taking our dogs for a one hour brisk walk each morning while I am wearing my 32 pound weight vest.It actually takes 70 minutes but its a great course that we walk and the trhee dogs love it.

Note: you can accomplish several goals simultaneously if you golf, play tennis, swim, run, roller blade. walk your dogs, or commute with a bicycle.

By maintaining this 5-point foundation each and every day it is easy to perform 3 X 10 Minute muscle building workouts each week that you constantly adjust in 3 Cycles of 8-weeks duration with each cycle concentrating on one of three fitness attributes that include: #1) Muscle Building #2) Enhancing Endurance #3) Increasing Strength. These 3 weekly workouts are adjusted daily according to your pulse rate. The 5 Foundational habits are not included as part of your exercise prescription BUT ask yourself WHAT KIND OF SHAPE WOULD I BE IN IF I FULFILLED ALL 5 HABITS EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE? I would submit to you that if you lived out this foundation each and every day that you really could sculpt and shape your muscles in 3 X 10 minute workouts 3 Xs each week. VERY SIMPLE.

Let me also tell you that Dr. Morehouse was criticized by other so-called fitness experts but it seems that each and every one of them conveniently forgot about the 5-Foundational habits that were required by Dr. Morehouse in his program. Obviously, Morehouse's 5 essential habits constituted more real exercise then most of the other authors included in their entire programs. And look at it like this. If you performed all 5 habits daily and decided to augment it with 10 minutes of daily Isometrics, Do you really think that YOU would not be in great shape?

Bottom line: You don't have to kill yourself to be in really excellent all around condition. And when I say excellent all around condition I mean EXCELLENT ALL AROUND condition. For example the very first requirement of putting each and every joint of your body through a COMPLETE range of motion in every direction. Realize that there are millions of people that NEVER put every joint in their body through it's natural full range of motion and I mean NEVER. Same goes for the 300 daily activity Calories (minimum) burned. Maybe you'd do 18 holes of golf which if you walk you will be getting the full 300 calories(plus) burned plus 2 to 3-hours of standing and elevating your heart rate for at 3 minutes. In fact, if you walked and carried your own clubs you could easily achieve all five of the essential daily habits AND if you did that you could easily add 3 X 10-minute Muscle sculpting sessions to be in exceptional shape 24/7.

---John Peterson

Share |

06-04-2019, 09:26 AM

This is a really EXCELLENT post John!!! - Something that I will look into putting into place in my own life.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

06-04-2019, 12:04 PM

John,

If one performs your joint mobility program I would think that completes the first requirement correct? This doesn't take very long even at 7 reps per joint. I don't see any missing joints if you do that whole program. Thoughts?

Jon

Share |

Author

06-04-2019, 12:38 PM

Hello John,

You are 100% correct. The joint program gives one immediate feedback to know if any given area of the body is stiff or sore.

The fact is that there are a great many people that have never put ALL of their joints through a maximum full range of motion. Seriously, many people have lived their entire lives not knowing which joints are 'rusty' because they have never used them. When I talked with Noel Johnson about it he was the first to tell me that he had never put all of his joints through a natural full range of motion. Not even when he was a pro boxer.

---John Peterson

Share |

06-04-2019, 12:59 PM

John,

One question on the range of motion. Do you recommend only going to where it might hurt or should one push a bit past this in order to increase ROM?

Jon

Share |

Author

06-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Hello Kenpopaul,

Thank You. The thing that was interesting about Dr. Morehouse was that he stated that these 5 essential daily habits were the key and foundation to every other program whether you are a world champion athlete or just a person that wants to be healthy and fit for life. He told me the first time we talked that he had trained a great number of athletes and that in order to get them into the best shape of their lives he would have them master the 5 basic essentials before anything else. When I first talked with him (more than 40 years ago) he stated that fewer than 10% of the people in the USA could answer in the affirmative that they met those 5 essentials each and every day. He also told me that having mastered the essential 5 habits that it didn't take long for anyone to achieve their maximum performance level in any discipline.

Bottom line: If anyone masters the 5 essential habits they will not have far to go to be in exceptional condition 24/7.

---John Peterson

Share |