Share |
John, Why Do You So Many Pull-Ups And Yet...

Author

12-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Hey Friends,

A man sent me an e-mail asking why it is that even though I do so many Pull-Ups almost every day that I do not push them as a hard sell to the rest of the forum or in my books and courses.

The answer to that question has several components.

1) Let's be real. The average out of shape and overweight man that hasn't done Pull-Ups since high school can't perform a single rep in good form. (For that matter most high school kids these days can't do them either because they are doing non-functional exercises or no exercise at all). By setting the bar too high for such a person I would be discouraging too many people. In reality, just about any man that has been with me for any length of time ends up doubling, tripling, or quadrupling his Pull-Up numbers without even having to focus on them specifically due to the fact that my exercise system creates FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH THAT HAS BROAD APPLICATION.

2) Many men don't have access to a good Pull-Up Bar. When I was a kid I used a tree branch even in the winter time. Most men flat out won't do that.

3) If a man is overweight and out of shape and is encouraged to do pull-ups before he is ready he will develop severe tendinitis. Or possibly worse. I push no one until they are ready.

4) Pull-Ups are a superior exercise only for those with a vastly superior strength to body weight ratio. My goal is develop a man's strength to body weight ratio first with PYTP, M7, IPR, and especially G.U.T.S.. Nobody ever reaches the highest level of G.U.T.S. without developing an off the charts strength to body weight ratio compared to most other men.

5) Finally, Pull-Ups are for the lithe, slim, muscular well defined body. No other exercise becomes more difficult to do as a result of fat weight gain as does this exercise and because of that fact it reminds you to stay on the ball and remain lithe and ultra hard.

Am I a Pull-Up fanatic? You bet I am. But I earned it the hard way. How many guys of any age do you see walking around that knock off 5 sets of 25 or more reps 5 or more days each week? Very, very few. But I do it because it makes me feel good about me. It tells me that I am the man in control of myself the level of personal self mastery I have and how strong and fit I am compared to other men.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-17-2009, 04:09 PM

John,
I could not agree more. Pull ups are by far my favorite exercise. It has developed every aspect of my body.
I do 3-4 x 20-25 reps 5-6 days a week. I just do not feel right not doing them. About 15+ year ago I could only do 3 pull-ups. I was disgusted with myself due to being a PE teacher and coach and making them do pull-ups and I could only do 3. I have been doing them for a long time and the last 3 years just about everyday. They are not for the out of shape, it takes time and consistency. My grip strength is also gotten better too.

Monty

Share |

Author

12-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Hey Monty,

You and I have a great deal in common. I appreciate what you have stated Monty. I personally believe that with Pull-Ups it is crucial that a person allow themselves plenty of time for the necessary strength adaptation to take place.

I am curious though, are many of the young guys that you teach following your lead and becoming Pull-Up fanatics? There simply is not another exercise that accomplishes as much real world strength in my opinion.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-17-2009, 07:58 PM

John,

Yes, some of my athletes and students start doing them on a regular basis and see great results, even the girls.
A few years ago I got inspired by a 96 year old circus performer doing a 2 finger "L" pull-up. So I started to practice these a few times a month. So every Track and Cross-Country season and also in PE I do a few of these. My record is 10. This seems to really get them goin. They cannot believe a guy 51 can do this then I tell them about the circus performer. HAHA!!
Great stuff!!

Monty

PS One of our football coaches put more pull-up bars/dip bars in the weight room. Very cool!!! Maybe they are seeing my ole butt doin them and see that their wieght traning classes can hardly do one.LOL

Share |

12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

gtlaau,

I bet you nail this without blowin your cookies. I give you props for just giving it a go.

Monty

Share |

12-17-2009, 10:06 PM

I know I myself have a long way to go to get that bodyweight to strength ratio in balance even somewhat. I can only dream about going a single set of pull-ups for 25 reps, never mind 5 sets, 5 days a week.

John, didn't you say at one time that doing pull-ups more often than twice a week would be too taxing to the nervous system?

Obviously that opinion might have changed with you, I think it's cool that you changed your opinion, but I wonder if perhaps you lost weight, gained an even better bodyweight to strength ratio or perhaps are even growing younger or something???

Share |

Legacy Member

12-18-2009, 01:38 AM

Great Post!!

I've really missed bwing able to do pull ups due to my shoulder injury. but, that's all changing now it's healed a lot. A couple of days ago I started doing them again - starting slowly on my totalGym I did two sets of 10 on the highest setting.

I know compared to most that isn't a lot, but for me it's unreal, especially considering I couldn't even do 1 on the lowest setting a few months ago.

Same with pushups, In April I couldn't even do half a rep, now I acn do 20-25 rep sets on my perfect pushup handles.

Pullups & pushups are unreal and make you feel great.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

12-18-2009, 02:18 AM

As a skinny kid in gym class, I couldn't do a single pull-up. I remember hardly being able to hang from the bar!

In college I decided I wanted to be able to do a pull-up, you know, just in case I was hanging out of a burning building or something and the only thing stopping me from being able to live is the strength to pull my own weight. I worked up to 2 or 3 lifting weights, mostly with the lat pull machine and occasionally trying some reps.

I was at about 4 or 5 reps when I started Transformetrics a few years ago. I got up to a personal best of 12 reps with a program of DVR pullups, and only testing my numbers about once a week, over the course of about a month.

Since then I've gotten out of shape, but I'm back on what works--the mind-muscle connection fostered by the methods of Transformetrics.

Share |

Author

12-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Hey Wackybaby,

You are correct that I made that statement. However, I was referring to normal men that had not yet achieved their muscular/neurological transformation. Not only that but even now I would not allow myself to perform my limit more than twice a week( 5 X 25 is not close to my limit). Obviously when a man like Monty, for example, is performing at the standard that he is each day, daily Pull-Ups present no problem at all. In fact, re-read what the man says, "I just do not feel right not doing them." I agree with Monty wholeheartedly.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
john peterson, pull-ups