Share |
Alternative GUTS for intermediate athletes

07-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Chris,
If you have push-up stands or something similar, work on Superman push-ups. This is a push-up with the arms extended at the furthest extension of the Superman wheel roll-out push-up. Doing push-ups, pull-ups and the bridge will quicken your rate toward standing Superman wheel roll-out push-ups.

Be persistent and determined and you will achieve your goals. Record the journey on paper or a spreadsheet so you can see where you came from, where you are and where you are going. Celebrate the victories along the way!

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Last edited by Tim Allen; 07-16-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Share |

Banned

07-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Thank you Tim for your Tip,
I'll give it a try and will incorporate Superman push-ups in my training.

All the best,
Chris

Share |

07-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Great replies all! And feel free to steal this idea, modify it however you want, with or without attribution--in fact, I stole the idea from someone else (hehe).

I found later that for me the numbers quoted above took more like 1:45/round than 1:00/round, perhaps because of my long limb length (I wasn't timing before). I'm not sure I'll ever get the speed listed in GUTS, but that's fine by me!

Another variation I've been playing with. Each round of 1 minute (I did time it this time) try...
* 1 pullup
* 5 pushups
* 5 Atlas situps
* 5 squats (flat foot or TBS)

...for 20 rounds, or less if you want depending on fitness levels, energy levels, etc.

What I like about this variation is I'm now fit enough to keep going with these smaller chunk rounds without any rest (if you aren't try adding in 30-60 seconds rest between rounds and slowly cut it down), but can't yet do high reps of these exercises. It's a nice way to get similar volume while working on higher rep numbers. It also gets that vital 20-25 minutes of exercise in a tight fashion, like GUTS.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Duff,

Thanks for posting that, I like it. Also congratulations on your success and new photos.

GB

Share |

Tags
guts