Share |
I've been doing Pull Ups Wrong for years!!

12-31-2010, 09:01 AM

John and everybody,
I received the Pull-up Chapter last week. Great stuff. I love the historical perspectives you out in your books. It plugs us into Physical Culture, not just a bunch of exercises to look like a cover model.
John, really enjoyed the chapter as reading material.
Loved applying the knowledge.

I realized I have been doing pullups wrong. No wonder my elbows has been killing me! No wonder I hated doing pullups!!
In one workout, I went from struggling and cheating to get 40 reps, to smoothly completing 50 reps with fantastic form. No joint pain. In fact, after two workouts, my elbow felt BETTER.

But, I also realize that I could only perform 10 pullups in one set by cheating and struggling and hurting myself. In all honesty, I am not ready for the challenge. At least not starting tomorrow. I have no doubt that early in 2011 I will be doing more than 100 reps per workout. 100 reps with awesome form.

But right now, I'm just not ready. I am disappointed, but just a little. I am way to excited about my new skill at cranking out awesome pullups.
Thank you John!

Have fun,
Cliff

Share |

12-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Cliff,
Thank you for this post.
Perhaps many of our friends are performing pull-ups incorrectly and will benefit from your honest assessment of yourself and later from Do It!

Now you know where you are.
Set your sights on the heights and GO THERE!

Use the instructions in the chapter, build your pyramid and enjoy the journey.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Share |

Author

12-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Hey Cliffa74,

WOW! What can I say? I'm honored. It thrills me that this chapter will help to motivate men to use this incredible exercise to maximize their upper body "Functional Strength and Fitness". Now for those that wonder why I say that "Chinning" (Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups) maximizes functional strength it's because to me "Functional Strength" is strength that relates directly to one's own body and one's ability to move one's own body. Pull-Ups, Push-ups, Sit-Ups, Leg Raises, Squats and Bridging in all of their multiple variations allow a man to achieve "Functional Strength and fitness" as no other form of exercise does because they allow you to measure how strong and enduring your body is in direct relation to itself. These exercises are the foundational Power Calisthenics of the Transformetrics Training system. They are identical to the foundational exercises that were taught by Charles Atlas with the exception of "chinning".

Once again Cliffa74, thank you. While no author ever has a right to expect only praise for his work, it's really nice to be acknowledged in a positive light.

---John Peterson

P.S. Friends, I just saw your responses. You Men are great. I appreciate each and every one of you.

Last edited by John Peterson; 12-31-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Share |

01-03-2011, 02:35 PM

I encourage those who cannot currently do 10 pullups to try doing pyramids from 1 up and back to 1 once or twice a week minimum during the month of January. Perhaps by February or March you will be able to complete 10 and be ready for the challenge!

Share |

Tags
challenge, do it!, pull-ups