Share |
Alternative GUTS for intermediate athletes

07-13-2010, 02:08 AM

I tried out a different protocol for GUTS the first time today and I loved it. Basically instead of doing 5 sets of calisthenics in 20 minutes, I break it up into 20 sets (1 per minute ideally) of...
  • 5 Pushups (did Leiderman/floor pushups tonight)
  • 10 Atlas Situps
  • 15 Tiger Bend Squats

...and then finish off with the MILO for 4 sets (20/20 left right, then 15/15 left right).

I didn't use a timer tonight (probably my sets were more like 1:15 or 1:30), but it can be fun to use an interval timer to really push the speed and intensity (here's a free online interval timer).

If you do 20 sets, you get 5x20 pushups = 100, 10 x 20 situps = 200, and 15 x 20 TBS = 300...the same as GUTS in terms of numbers and volume but easier for athletes who are not yet superman and therefore can't pull off 50 consecutive pushups, 100 situps, or 300 TBS (WOW!).

I was able to complete 10 sets tonight before I figured I'd better hold off. I probably could have pushed 15 or more, but I don't want to be too sore or tired. The good news is that's 50% of GUTS numbers, and I finally feel "in condition" in that I can go all out for 15, 20, 25 minutes and not feel too tired or sore! It's taken me 7 1/2 months of consistent training with these methods, but now I feel like I'm finally hitting my stride.

I'll be trying this out a few more times this week. If anyone else wants to give it a go, let me know how it goes for you too! Once I get these 20 sets done--the full GUTS but in more sets--I'll try for 10 2-minute rounds of 10 pushups, 20 situps, and 30 squats.

Cheers,
~Duff

Share |

Legacy Member

07-13-2010, 06:46 AM

Great idea, Duff. Thanks for the timer link, too.....

Share |

07-13-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanks Duff!

The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment. William Arthur Ward

Share |

Legacy Member

07-13-2010, 05:32 PM

Great post, Duff, and I really like the timer to, thanks again.

Share |

Banned

07-14-2010, 04:37 AM

Hey Duff,

Good idea. I was too tired to train last night and it was too hot anyway, but I managed to get up early this morning and rather than just going through the motions at that early hour I decided to give you alternative GUTS a try. I managed 15 rounds in 20 minutes and felt quite fresh and enrgized for the day ahead. Even now, early afternoon, I still feel pumped, especially in the lats, strangely enough. Having some pat issues with my knees it was also the most volume Ive done for legs in a long while, but apart from them feeling tired Im experiencing no other problem. Ill have to see how I can work this ito my routine. I was thinking about alternating daliy between Atls IIIs and alternative GUTS ... have to see.
Mark

Share |

Legacy Member

07-14-2010, 06:09 AM

Great idea Duff.

I think wed all be wise to keep something in mind.

Although the GUTS routine, give sets of exercises at x number of reps, not all people are going to be able to do that many.

That leads to at least two options:

1 Break that one exercise into smaller sets. You would do x number of reps, rest, do more of the same exercise.

2 Do smaller sets of each exercise, rotating them if you will. For some, the lack of complete rest periods will give them more of a workout, while still allowing them to be refreshed for each set.

Rob

Share |

Banned

07-14-2010, 07:01 AM

Duff another great idea, this will make GUTS easier and breaking it up into these parts will make for a pleasant alternative. I like this Duff!

PS: Maybe we should call the new routine DUFFS instead of GUTS? lol

Last edited by MikeNY; 07-14-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Share |

Banned

07-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Hey Duff,
Youve really got my imagination going on this and Im loving it. I tried the workout again tonight anddid the whole 20 rounds in order toset myself a baseline. In the 20 minutes timeline I manged 16 rounds. which I was quite pleased with, but the final 4 rounds to make the 20 set total seemed to take forever and I eventually finished up in 29 minutes. If you dont mind me stealing your idea I may even start a new log inthe workout section - all credits and commission to you of course.
Mark

Share |

07-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Duff,
Thanks for opening another avenue of thought regarding the G.U.T.S. workout.
Today I broke down my G.U.T.S. workout regimen into 10 sets with each set consisting of:

20 Warrior Power T push-ups with feet elevated 14"
20 Atlas sit-ups
30 Tiger Bend Squats

Totaling: 200 WPT push-ups; 200 Atlas sit-ups; 300 Tiger Bend Squats

MILO: 3X5 HT sets each arm

Time: 0:29.18

Now I need to work to get my time under 28 minutes.

For those with WPTs, if you adopt this routine, you can change your hand position on the Ts throughout the workout hitting every position twice.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Share |

Banned

07-16-2010, 12:21 PM

Wow Tim,

impressive numbers! Especially for the Warrior Power T Push-ups!
Keep up the good work.

My workout is very similiar with the 10 sets but I did one excercise after another with 30sec rest between sets.

Main workout
- 10 x 12 Atlas II
- 10 x 15 TBS
- 10 x 6 Rollouts (Superman wheel on my knees)
- 50 Standard PU
- 20/15 Pull apart and over (from PYTP)
- 50 Standard PU on fists

Pullup workout
- 10 x 5 Pullups
- 20/15 Milo

I try to switch between the 2 workouts but my main workout has priority if time is limited.
The numbers on Pullups and Superman wheels are still low, and the second excercise i do on my knees but I know that they will rise and I will be able to do a superman wheel from standing position in a few months, at least i hope.

Chris

Share |

Tags
guts