Share |
The "SuperFood" That Really Is "Super"

Author

02-19-2020, 08:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

This one is worth reading and following through. My 92-year-old father-in-law who is in great shape has had oatmeal every morning of his life from the time he was just a kid and he doesn't plan on stopping any time soon.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/o...=pocket-newtab

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

02-20-2020, 09:52 AM

John,

That's an interesting article, and comes at a time when I'm slightly conflicted about that very thing.

I've recently started going to a doctor of Functional Medicine, mainly to get a holistic approach to health improvement, etc.

Well, given my pre-diabetic glucose reading from my most recent lab work, she suggested I cut back on my carbohydrate intake. She recommended under 50 grams a day. So, I started looking closer at the carb and dietary fiber content of my foods.

I quickly found that some foods I considered staples of my diet contained more carbs than I had realized. The worst culprits were protein bars I have as a snack, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I’ve since found some bars that are MUCH lower in carbs. But, I also discovered that my organic oatmeal had a descent amount. So, for the time being, I switched to hard-boiled eggs for my breakfast, this week including a small “disc” of natural cheese as well. The eggs are fine and all, but don’t really have a lot of taste to them. You know. They’re eggs.

With my now being more aware of the carbs in my foods, I was seriously contemplating adding the oatmeal back in. However, the doctor has now also recommended the use of intermittent fasting, skipping breakfast or at least pushing it a couple hours later. Hence my conundrum.

Anyway, thank you for posting the article. It gives me something more to consider.

Have a great day.

Rob (aka blackbelt)

Rob

Share |

Author

02-20-2020, 02:00 PM

Hello Rob,

Almost 50 years ago when Dr. Atkins wrote his first book he referenced the fact that if you were not consuming carbohydrates that your body would then start burning its fat reserves because carbohydrates are the preferred energy source used by one's body. He was ridiculed by the AMA when his diet first came out but over the course of time just about everything he stated has proven to be true. In fact, nowadays, Atkins seems like a fairly reasonable approach compared to some of the more stringent diets that have now become in vogue like the Keto diet.

What your doctor is saying is basically what Dr. Atkins advocated back in the day. Atkins actually had 60 grams of carbs as the number you were to stay within.

The truth is that very few people know anything meaningful as relates to metric measurement by which most nutrients are measured. For example, most people don't realize how little 60 grams really is. Consider: there are 454 grams in a pound and 1000 grams in a kilogram. An ounce is 28.3495 grams so when you say that your doctor is recommending less than 50 grams per day, we are actually talking about fewer than 2 ounces of pure carbohydrate.

Another thing that most people don't comprehend as relates to Micronutrients is the fact that a milligram (mg) is one-thousandth of a gram or that a Microgram (mc) is only one-millionth of a gram. In other words, it takes one thousand micrograms (mc) to equal a single milligram (mg) and 1,000 milligrams to equal a single gram. We are actually talking about tiny amounts when we make reference to micronutrients. I mention this because in almost all instances the Macronutrients of protein-fat-carbohydrate are all measured in grams whereas the Micronutrients that include vitamins or minerals are measured in milligrams or micrograms.

---John Peterson

Share |