Share |
Go outside, act like a kid and get fit!!

Legacy Member

04-05-2010, 05:37 PM

In another thread, the question was put to us how to build stamina. Now I ask you, what in nature has more stamina than a child?? So I say, take a look at what kids do. When I was a kid we played in the hills running up and down through the woods. So how about it!

Throw some hill sprints into your workout!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

This is after a few sets, Justin is manning the camera, you can hear him breathing from just finishing his own sprint. Find a nice steep area and have at it. Climb up and down a few times times as fast as you can! Act like a kid You'll fee lit! (But do be safe!)

Now he's the question. Without a doubt hill sprints take a lot out of you, so should you do them first or last or just as their own, separate workout?

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 04-05-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Share |

Banned

04-05-2010, 06:15 PM

I think that you should have the theme song from First Blood as mood music. I love hill sprints. The Powerflex workout include them as part of the Speed and Endurance workout. I have a steep sledding hill about a mile from my house that I use.

Share |

Legacy Member

04-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I think that you should have the theme song from First Blood as mood music.
Oh man!! I dropped the ball on this one!!

-Joe

Share |

Banned

04-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Joe,

This is so true. I spent yesterday trying to keep up with kids ranging from 18 months to 13 years. If you think you're in good shape, trying hanging with some 'lil' folk for a while. They will humble you!

I like running up hills (ever since I read that this was a big part of Herschel Walker's routine). The problem with me is that living in the Great Plains of Texas, our hills are more like speed bumps. So I do sprints up and down bleachers or our home stairwell if the weather's bad.

For me, cardio like hill sprints is definately not on strength training days. In fact, it's really all I do for fitness on those days.

One day, I'd love to run up the Philadelphia Museum of Art in Philadelphia just like Rocky. What is it about Stallone movies and hill running?

--- TejasT

Last edited by TejasT; 04-05-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Share |

04-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I agree a hundred percent with the title. I'll watch the video when I get to my other computer, I'm sure it will be well-made and entertaining as usual. Go Joe.

So, be a kid, grab a soccer ball, baseball, hit it and chase it, do a forward roll, go climb a jungle gym. That last one is a sore point with me. There aren't jungle gyms for 6' 1" adults.

The other day some friends and I got kicked off a field that was not being used at all because we were not twelve and under. What?!?!?!?!?! Ok, forget it. I'm not voting for any more bonds to build kids' playgrounds or baseball fields. I want a field that twelve year olds will get kicked off of for using when nobody else is using it!!!! Don't hold me back, I think I can take 'em!!!!!

If you're gonna play like a kid, you gotta whine like one, too.

Tom

Share |

Banned

04-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Joe you are a genius! Have fun and get fit.

Share |

04-05-2010, 11:41 PM

Saw the video - never noticed that hill was so steep or long. You don't have to worry about ticks, lymes disease, etc.? They used to not be out here on the west coast, but then they came from your side of the country, thanks a lot.

Nice workout.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

04-06-2010, 07:44 AM

I've got about two acres of hill-side like that. I've been tinkering with the idea of making some kind of proper running/hiking/nature trail that goes through the woods there. Clearing up all the brush and sloping it some here and there, maybe putting in a bench to sit on in a few places. I might actually get around to doing that this year. We have a good deal of wildlife in the area; dear, rabbits, squirrels (of course), foxes, bobcats, raccoons, opossums, turtles. That's the stuff I've seen with my own two eyes, supposedly we have coyotes, black bear and wolves too, never seen them. So the area makes for a good nature walk.

No caves that I know of, but Heather and I were hiking this weekend and ran into an old abandoned well in the middle of nowhere! That was kinda cool.

TejasT makes a good point in that running up stairs/bleachers can be just as effective and hill sprints. I like my hills, though. Use to them, I guess. Trotting through the woods is a lot of fun for me and reminds me of being a kid. Down at my grandma's house we would even find arrow heads from time to time; the Mingo Indians lived in that area once upon a time.

As far as lime disease, I kind of think of it as more of a Northern thing. I have a colleague that contracted lime disease when he was hunting up around Connecticut. Other than that, I've never know anyone to get/have it. I did get ticks as a kid from time to time.

Attached here is something mildly cool; bobcat prints. Just took these this weekend.

-Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BobcatPrint.jpg (92.3 KB, 13 views)

Share |

04-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Not just for exercise and a change of pace,but being able to return in your mind to those childhood emotions is important. Particularly in the stressful times that we are living in being able to let go and just go with the emotions of a child are a great release and an important survival technique. The inner concentration and projection exercises taught in Transformetrics [Isometrics, DVR/VRT, and Power Flexing] are the most effective way to develop the ability to change your "mind set" at will and are invaluable skills to develop in a rapidly changing world and society.

Share |

04-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Luckily the police in my town do not mind guys sprinting up the hills and using monkey bars for pullups. Cops in my town are great ppl

Share |