Share |
An Answer To The Soy Question

Author

11-25-2019, 05:37 PM

Hey Friends,

I received an e-mail from a man that is a vegan that is trying to convince me that soy is a good source of complete protein. He was very respectful and it is my intention to be respectful to him.

He sent me the link below that presents a balanced view of both sides of the 'Soy debate'.

I encourage all of you to read it and decide for yourselves.

For me personally, the biggest issue has always been the phytoestrogen content and the effeminizing effects that I saw when I was a young man in my teens when I met a group of Seventh Day Adventist young people at a youth camp. I was a lifeguard. When they were swimming I noticed that a large number of the young guys were exhibiting the signs of Gynecomastia and I wondered why? As it happened I had a number of them asking me about how to develop their muscles and one, in particular, was very embarrassed by his condition. Not knowing anything about his condition I assured him that the Charles Atlas exercises for the chest and upper body would take care of the condition in world record time. It was later that I described it to my Uncle Milo and he said that it was because the Seventh Day Adventists don't eat meat but instead consume large amounts of soy. I had never heard that before and I said, "You mean soy makes a man look like he has boobs instead of pectorals?" His response was, "Probably not everyone but if someone is predisposed to it, it sure won't help." That was back in 1969 and all I knew was that I felt sorry for the young man and asked my uncle if I did the wrong thing by giving him the Atlas exercises and giving him a false sense of hope. Milo immediately responded by saying, "Jackson, those exercises can't possibly hurt and who knows? Maybe it'll end up being just what he needs." Anyway, that is why I have always been suspicious of eating soy.

Now, with the above stated here is the link to the article. Please read it and decide for yourself.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...in-good-or-bad

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

11-26-2019, 06:19 AM

Thanks fo rthe link john.

I went through the fears of estrogen in Soy etc before turning Vegan and spend a long time looking into it (as well as other things), but after a while I realised most 'research' dates back to when soy was first introduced and the 'studies' that came out saying it was feminising were ones funded by the meat (or dailr) industry.

At the end of the day phytoestrogens don't affect the body the same way as mamilian estrogen does, and in fact binds to the estrogen receptors and then stop estrogen attaching.

I never understand why people have a fear of soy which doesn't have actual estrogen in it, yet then eat dairy and other animal products that contain actual estrogen.

I have, and do, eat soy products (for 3-4 years now) and have never noticed any faminising effects and am currently back in great shape. I had a year off training but carried on eating as I was and sure I put weight on and felt crap both physicaly and mental - but that was nothing to do with the types of foods I was eating, but more to do with the amount of food i was (over) eating. As soon as I got that in check I lost weight and am now in the process of bulking.

There is a ton of recent studies on soy that show it to be beneficial to humans, men included. It is also shown to help women who have/have had breast cancer as it reduces the estrogen in the body.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

Author

11-27-2019, 06:28 PM

hello kenpopaul,

Please give us a link to the research showing that soy lowers estrogen in women. Everything and I do mean everything that I have ever read relating to soy has never in any way indicated that it lowers estrogen is either men or women. it would be great to read research that validates what you have stated.

---John Peterson

Share |