Share |
How to build your running to sprints

04-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Hi all,

John posted about slow distance running to get the legs perpared for sprinting or harder running in the min thread today.

I see this a lot with people who starts sprints and usually end up hurt or pulling a hamstring.

I really think if you have not been running and then jumping into a sprint routine will be a disaster espcially over 40.

You must start off running 3 to 5 minutes walking 3 min and build up to being able to run 2/3 miles with no problem.

I also encourage new runners to do some butt kicks, high knees, heal walks, toe walks etc. to strengthen the running muscles. I also think if a person is doing the leg work we promote here that this will help get the legs strong enough to handle faster running.

My runners do a lunge routine before many of our runs thats takes 5 min.and then we spend 10 minutes working the hips and core after a run most days. This does not take long. If you watch sprinters who run professionally, they do tons of dynamic running which is high knees, back ward running, skipping etc.

I have been getting back into running since knee surgery in Nov. and am good to go.Yesterday I ran 30 minutes with 6 x 200s in 42/43 seconds. I felt good and walked 100 meters inbetween.

I also encourage new runners to do 2 or 3 strides after their run. You can do these on your street or at a park.
The thing is, you have to not over do it, which is easier said than done.

You should run to a point and then ask yourself could I do more?? If the answer is yes ,then that is the time to stop. You should always be able to run more and feel energized after a run and not smoked.

Monty

Share |

04-02-2013, 11:35 AM

Monty -

This is great advice to get new runners off to a sane start. There's nothing like shin-splints, stress fracture or a tweaked hamstring to convince a beginning runner to give it up. The runner who gets initiated slowly and thoughtfully as you suggest will avoid injury and enjoy a healthy and long-term relationship with running.

Share |

Banned

04-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Glad to hear the Knee is better Monty and your back to doing what you love.Thanks for the advice you gave me for my calf.Hopefully when my knee heals I can use this advice also.Always great advice my friend.

michael

Share |