Share |
What to do after G.U.T.S. - Part I

Legacy Member

07-16-2010, 10:08 AM

I've been a fan of the G.U.T.S. routine since its inception. No other bodyweight routine delivers the goods in the shortest amount of time. And no other routine leaves you that oxygenated high and feeling of accomplishment as G.U.T.S. does. It is very similar to the feeling I used to get after doing the 20 rep squats with a heavy weight. The difference being, after a few minutes I recover and have energy to spare, rather than being depleted for days afterwards with my joints banged up.

But, once you get the nuts and bolts down, which direction do you go? Obviously you can make the routine harder. John gives several examples in G.U.T.S. You could also use Warrior Power Tee pushups. You can also tighen up your form. However, to do the routine justice, it has been my experience that you need to keep your time under 24-28 minutes. Because of the pace you are going, any more has a tendency to deplete nerve force and to exhaust the body.

So what do you do for an encore? One thing I found that works very well to incorporate a few of the Atlas style DSR's and incorporate copious deep breathing. You are already breathing like a race horse, and you can take advantage of it.

Start with what Jim Forystek calls the Eagle Flex. Reach out wide and inhale. Exhale as you circle the arms forward and contract the pectoral muscles. Pull your stomach in as you exhale. Do twenty.

After this, shake it out. Do a couple of abdominal exhalations where you force the stomach back and in. Now step into a horse riding stance. It doesn't have to be deep. The knees only need to be flexed slightly. Grasp your cupped fingertips together, one hand over another. Exhale as you pull your hands apart, feeling it in the shoulders and lats. Pull your arms over your head. Pull your stomach in as you exhale. Do twenty.

Once again, shake it out. Step one foot forward and the other back in a modified boxing stance. With the right leg back, put the right fist over the left and pull down as if you are pulling a rope. Exhale and pull the stomach in. You will actually be crouching slightly. Do ten and reverse sides.

Now on to the traditional Atlas Curl. Exhale as you bring your arm up. Feel the tension and visualize the bicep being filled with oxygenated blood. Once again, make a conscious effort to pull in your stomach as you exhale. Do twenty for each side. Now reverse and do one arm tricep pushdowns resisting with the other arm. If you use a mirror you can visualize the contraction of the tricep muscles. Do twenty each side.

Atlas lat rows come next. This is one of my favorite exercises for the way it limbers and strengthens the lower back and hips. Reach down and grasp your leg. Resist with your leg as you pull up and straighten your body. Exhale as you rise. Do ten each side.

Squat down on your toes with your heels together. The Atlas leg squeeze is next. Like the Atlas lat row, this exercise creates flexibility in the hips and lower back. Resist with the hands on the inside of the thighs while you push the legs together. Do ten reps. Then reverse and put the hands on the outside. Push out with the thighs from that direction. Even with this exercise, the advice is to pull the abdominal muscles in as you exhale.

Last is the Liederman Leg Pressout. While standing, grasp the inside of your foot with the same arm and press the leg out. Controlling the breathing helps your balance. Do six to ten reps each side. You can support yourself with a chair if needs be. This exercise is good for stretching out the hamstrings and also helps with the flexibility of the hip structure.

It is always a good idea to finish any workout with a few toe touches. The key is to exhale when descending and not to force a stretch. Stand with feet shoulder wide apart. Hold the arms out straight. Swing the body around and touch the right hand to the left foot. Bring the torso up and touch the left hand to the right foot. Do ten each side.

You should have a feeling of well being by now and should have energy to spare. If G.U.T.S. took 24 minutes, the following exercises will take 12-20 minutes, depending on how much tension you put into them. You've exercised the whole body and touched all seven aspects of fitness in less than 45 minutes.

Tune in for part II and I'll tell you how to incorporate the Isometric Power Belt with a G.U.T.S. routine.

Greg Newton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atlas lat row.jpg (96.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Squat Form.jpg (83.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Leg Squeeze.jpg (96.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg ChestPullandRaise.jpg (94.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg EagleFlex.jpg (96.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Greg Newton; 07-16-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Share |

Banned

07-16-2010, 11:40 AM

I like this addition and am looking forward to part II. Good thinking Greg but then you use the brain as one good muscle.

Share |

07-17-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the tips!

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

07-17-2010, 07:32 AM

greg you should deffinately write a book...............;) really thisis great tips. i havent done a full guts routine since i hurt my shoulder(well ive never dont the full amunt of TBS's i get boredand switch to the steps most of the time a side effect of having a 14 year olds old attention span) but ill start again on monday and try to incorporate the advise listed. anyway its obvious that its working for you man you look very athletic man.
so when do we get the next addition of 'Greg Newton Trainer of the Trained'.

Share |

07-17-2010, 07:34 AM

hey greg what's your body fat down to like 10% cause you looking lean man. keep it up, oh and even if i didnt know that your educated on fitness id but your book soley off the Picture. keep it up man.

Share |

Author

07-17-2010, 08:52 AM

Hey Greg,

WOW! What a great post. Fantastic insights. Your book R.A.W. will be a classic in Physical Culture as it delivers routine after routine for maximized development. And friends R.A.W. stands for Results Amplified Workouts.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

07-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks! The whole point is trying to be a help. I've got a couple of books in the works. One on training and one on motivation in the education realm. Part's I, II, and III of this series are a tune up for the product to come.

AP, I have to admit, Tiger Bend Squats aren't my favorite. After about a hundred, they start hurting my feet. The breathing and muscular pain is one thing, but having your feet hurt is another! I workout barefoot normally, but for deep knee bends I stand in a pair of flip flops to give me some cushioning.

I can get 300 or more, but I tend to dread it, so I generally work from 200, going in gradual increments, workout to workout, until I get to 300. Then I'll back down again and start over. Eventually I'll get where 300 is common place. It is all about gradual adaptations. The Tiger Bend Squat is too good of an exercise not to do.

I also want to thank you for the positive comments on the pictures. My wife took the pictures and we are working on the various angles and lighting that work best. Even facial expression are important. Physique and exercise pictures are hard to take.

Greg

Share |

Banned

07-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Outdoor lighting is difficult. Too much lighting and the subject is squinting. Shadows can also be a problem with outdoor lighting. The chest pull and eagle flex seem to be the right amount of light.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Thanks Ray,

The latter two pictures were taken on a different day and the sky was slightly overcast. I prefer pictures taken in very bright sunlight, but it is hard not to squint. John told me that when he was filming the Living Fuel videos and performing the Tiger Moves on the beach, he had a hard time keeping his eyes open from the sun.

Greg

Share |

07-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Greg,

Great tips! And, good Lord have mercy! Your pictures are amazing!

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm … And ye shall know that … I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |