Share |
Sprint-pace pushups made my lats sore!

10-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Inspired by the recent threads on doing your pushups at a fast-as-possible pace, I did 150 or so feet elevated pushups in a little over 18 minutes two days ago. Last night my lats were sore and I thought that was usual. I didn't think anything of it until today when I just did a set of fast pushups from the knees and noticed the soreness in my lats and realized it was from the pushups!

Interesting. I suspect this is the case because of having to change directions so quickly you end up engaging the lats more to stop and start your momentum.

Share |

Author

10-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Hey Duff,

It's interesting that you bring this up. Why? Because I was talking to Jack King about the fact that although he and I have a very, very intensive back building program in "DO IT!" A Man's Guide to Fearless Fitness & an Awesome Physique that happens to include a comprehensive Pull-Up/Chin-Up Program, the truth is that many men will achieve an incredible level of back development as a result of our Push-Up Programs alone. This is something Jack has mentioned several times. I've told him that I am well aware of this. He said that he was really amazed when he was teaching one of his trainees how to maximize his Push-Ups just how much you could see the muscles of this young mans back working when he was going all out. which bings up another point.

One thing that I am going to do is to send Jack a set of Warrior Power T's to try out on his young trainees. The Warrior Power T's recruit the latissimus dorsi muscles in a big way as does the Superman Wheel Push-Up.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-15-2010, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't have believed it myself if I wasn't feeling DOMS right now after doing no pullups or other "back exercises" in the past 4 days or so. I should add that I've been doing 100-140 Atlas 1 pushups a day at a slightly slower pace (not superslow, more like 2 seconds down 1 second up), so I was really surprised that these sprinting pushups hit the lats like this.

I still have the T's on my wishlist too---maybe Santa will bring me some!

Share |

Tags
pushups