Share |
Stop negative, destructive programs before they run

05-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Reactive, emotionally initiated muscular tension often “serves” as a trigger for destructive ineffective habit patterns.

I.E., you are scolded at work for failing to deliver on a key project, your neck, shoulders & lower back tense as you receive your verbal lashing. That muscular tension fails to subside, you stew about the incident, resent your boss, lose focus & decide to make your way to the vending machine, eat a cup cake or two, stew at your desk some more, surf the internet, react negatively to a loved one, decide to go for a drink after work, on and on (you get the point)

At some point in your life you developed coping mechanisms to deal with stressful events. These programs are stored within your subconscious to help provide you with relief.

Often, muscular tension is the first reaction to the stressful event

That tension triggers the coping mechanism

The practice of Isometric Power Flexing can / will develop the ability to sense and consciously control REACTIVE MUSCULAR TENSION

Thereby enabling you to recognize the tension, control it, consciously realize the source and dictate the program you run.

Life is 10 % what happens to you and 90 % how you react to it.

Last edited by mwm; 05-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Hey MWM,

Thank you such an AWESOME post full of truth!

Even if our initial/instinctive reaction to a stressor is negative/over reactive, as we draw breath to continue speaking we have an opportunity to control our ongoing reaction. Unfortunately people do not always take this opportunity & instead reload more ammunition to fire.

One tool that I use prior to potentially stressful situations - I manage 40 staff - particularly before disciplinary meetings is flex my calves usually to the point of cramping. It is unnoticeable to others & helps metabolise the increased release of adrenalin.

Take care,
Steve

Share |

05-14-2010, 10:22 PM

When I was going through some very stressful situations years ago I discovered ,quite by accident, that practicing DVR/VRT, Isometrics, and Isometric Power Flexing actually gave me control over my emotions and stress reactions with the negative feedback becoming less and less. My feeling of control was becoming greater and greater. I eventually got to the point where even in "ambush", negotiating situations I could switch my emotions instantly and on the spot to counter an attack and surprise the instigator. So many power negotiating situations are built on attacking your known emotional vulnerabilities that an ability to switch your emotional state gives you immediate control over your would be attacker - the element of surprise.

Last edited by Andy62; 05-14-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Share |

05-16-2010, 01:05 PM

I am still amazed and amused by the fact that thoughtfully contracting and relaxing muscles in a systematic fashion can yield such tremendous physical, mental and transformative benefits.

Seriously, I have experienced that not only will Isometric Power Flexing and DVR / VRT strength and sculpt musculature but its application to mental and emotional self mastery is incredible.

Steve,

Thanks. I also use IPF before high pressure or emotional charged events to orientate my CNS to the fact that I am aware of the situation at hand and that it needs to back me up, not bind me up.

Gordon,

If it was not for all your posts I probably would not have come to this knowledge. Thank you. I could not agree more, in business enemies are not allowed to try to bite, scratch or attack with clubs rather it is with the use words and body language that they attempt to stifle their opponents and the best counter attack is to simply not be affected. I think far too many of us miss the true wisdom of "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". The reason for muscular tension as a survival mechanism is to ready us to run from a tiger or leap at a deer. That's it! Just let us know that "Hey, something is going on here". Unfortunately in our modern world there is no immediate pay off, no tiger to run from or deer to attack and it binds us up and gets in the way of our ability to use our communication skills effectively to handle the situation.

Happy Tensing,

Matt

Share |

05-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Matt, I discovered this stuff over time from multiple sources. I am not even sure if I would be alive today had I not recognized the psychological effects and benefits that DVR/VRT,Isometrics, and Isometric Power Flexing were having on me when I was going though a series of stressful situations that would have destroyed my life if not totally ended it. Swami Rama, who was a primary subject of the research on Yogis at the Menninger Foundation, says that, "Intuition is the only source of true knowledge" and Alois P. Swoboda says. " The creator has placed the potential in each of us to adjust to a constantly changing universe." Both Swami Rama and Alois P. Swoboda recommended this yogic, internal concentration, type of exercise. This science can change and uplift lives and I am glad that John Peterson is here carry on the tradition. Gordon

"The exercises in this book, however, are yoga practices with benefits far exceeding ordinary muscular movement. In these subtle exercises one vitalizes muscles, respiration, senses,nervous system, and mind...most importantly in these exercises one comes to experience the tremendous potential of the mind itself, and one makes a dramatic step inward through the layers of personality toward the center of the mind and consciousness."

Swami Rama
Describing isometric power flexing exercises in "Exercise Without Movement"

"The exercises,as you know, are merely the vehicles by means of which the nervous system is aroused to greater activity through the intense application of the mind in producing resistance and rigidity of the muscles. In the process you are developing a highly evolved state of mind and body known as NERVE FORCE. Aim constantly to increase in your ability to exert your mind on your muscles."

Alois P.Swoboda
"Conscious Evolution"

Share |

05-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I also use IPF before high pressure or emotional charged events to orientate my CNS to the fact that I am aware of the situation at hand and that it needs to back me up, not bind me up.
Well put! I hadn't though of it in quite these terms.

Share |

05-16-2010, 11:36 PM

In that case it acts like a preconditioned response that you can activate at will

Share |

05-18-2010, 01:38 PM

One of the major themes I took away from "Yoga and Health" was in tying different movements to specific desired outcomes. I.E, to banish fear, strongly contract the quads. I personally don't follow any of the specific combinations but it just makes sense. How better learn to direct our will to the external world then by practicing "inside". The other great take away for me was the paramount importance placed upon spinal health in relation to both physical and mental life. Thank goodness I use G.U.T.S as a cornerstone of my foundational fitness routine. Very inspiring. I went through an issue a couple years ago with my lumbo sacrial joint, even when the pain was not acute, I was not as effective at work.
I am convinced that sub acute joint pain and spinal issues in particular send self limiting subconscious feedback that gets in the way of our ability to communicate and create if left unattended. Thank goodness I found the methods promoted by Mr. Peterson.

Last edited by mwm; 05-18-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Share |

Author

05-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Hey MWM.

First off, Thank You! This is a great thread. You have obviously discovered the Transformative Power of these methods by personal application. And now that you have, YOU ARE FREE and understand that self mastery can indeed be a reality and not just a wish or dream. Congratulations Matt. Believe me, the best is yet to come.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
isometric power flexing, nerve force