Share |
What is the secret to exercising for life?

Banned

01-30-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
wow thats pretty fast
Yes, I am pleasantly surprised indeed. I haven't had the chance to test my strength, but my muscular endurance has definitely increased. I feel it when carrying heavy bags of groceries or holding my children. It just takes me longer to get tired or feel my muscles sore.
Aesthetically, I think it's too soon to see any radical changes, except for my biceps looking a bit bigger (I didn't work them with my push-ups regime) and a very slight fat loss.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-30-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepz View Post
Yes, I am pleasantly surprised indeed. I haven't had the chance to test my strength, but my muscular endurance has definitely increased. I feel it when carrying heavy bags of groceries or holding my children. It just takes me longer to get tired or feel my muscles sore.
Aesthetically, I think it's too soon to see any radical changes, except for my biceps looking a bit bigger (I didn't work them with my push-ups regime) and a very slight fat loss.

very good. And to add to my original question, I'm still not sure about things like shoulder adduction and abduction. These are usually sported for rotator cuff injury prevention and rehab but who really does these? are they necessary if you dont have a shoulder injury? I dont know about them, I just dont know what to think. Also, other small muscles that get ignored from direct work, like the neck, calves, more commonly the shin muscle, finger and forearms, etc. How do these play into being healthy and pain free for life?

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Banned

01-31-2012, 01:53 AM

I don't do those shoulder exercises, but now that you brought it to mind maybe I should start doing them as a warm-up before pushups. Precaution is always advisable for our joints, especially for those of us who exercise early in the morning, soon after waking up.
About forearms, I must admit I never needed to intentionally exercise them. Actually my forearm muscles are the first ones to react to biceps and triceps exercises, faster than the theoretically targeted muscles. When I lifted weights, many years ago, the first change I noticed was developing Popeye-style forearms. For years people asked me what I did to develop them that way, and when I answered "nothing" they rarely believed me. I wish I was that lucky with my lats, which I never really developed properly.
There are some Isometric Power Flexes that work the shin muscles, like putting your heel on the ground and strongly raising your toes. It's worth doing as it takes only a few seconds of your time IMHO. Same for neck exercises. Both can be sone at odd moments during the day.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-31-2012, 06:18 AM

yeah i think that doing some isometrics or dvr or something at random times is a nice way to work in those odd muscle groups, you just have to remember to do them, and do them consistantly.

My Training Log

Share |

Legacy Member

02-08-2012, 04:16 PM

alright I have to raise this thread from the dead to ask another related question to my first post.

I have seen some programs, that are theoretically good programs, and I won't mention names, but these programs seem to have a major flaw to my way of thinking. They are bodyweight only and do not use ANY equipment. But they also dont do dvr dsr or isometrics. There is a lot of forward pressure type stuff, lots of floor work and variations of pushing motions with no pulling. Even if you stretch those areas out really good, im wondering how good is that in the long term? I think most people would want to do some type of pulling motion and there are lots you can do without any equipment. But for the sake of my question, lets say someone didnt do those.

Would doing a lot of different types of pushups and situps and squats with no pulling motions create a problem in the body's muscle balance? Rounded shoulders, bad posture etc? I would think that at the very least you would have a weak back from not directly training it. Why would someone want to only do pushups and no pulling? It is convenient on one hand because it is very portable and simple and some people dont get into self resistance, so there is that possibility. I guess Im more concerned with if I wanted to do something like that, would it cause an injury, even in the long term.

My Training Log

Share |

02-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Hey Guys,

I have mentioned on many posts that I have not been able to do any type of push-ups due to injuring my right shoulder and neck. I used to have bad knots in my back and they have all disappeared within four days.

I tried to get specific dates on my posts about when I was able to do Atlas I push-ups for the very first time and it gave me a natural high. But this time I decided I was going to keep a journal and only focus on doing the M7 Tiger Moves.

This morning 11 February 2012, I just decided to test myself to see what I could do without feeling any pain in my shoulder or neck. I also got some money from my Birthday on the 8th of Feb so I was trying to decide whither I should purchase “Balance Of Power” the last book written by John that I do not own. While trying to decide if I should purchase the book I previewed the pages and saw “Exercise 3, Liederman Push-Up” it inspired me so greatly that I went in to my bedroom put my legs up and busted out a few rips with no problems. Then I decided to do the TBP and busted out a few of those too. WOW, I decided lets try just a normal push-up and see if I get the same results and to my surprise I was about to do 10 more push-ups.

I just wanted to say thanks John and everyone on the forum for testifying the precious truths of theses exercises!

Here is my journal log:

Exercise Log: 06 Feb. 2012
Book used: "The Miracle Seven"
Author: John E. Peterson and Wendie Pett
Exercises: The Seven Tiger Moves
AM/PM: PM
Sets: 2
Reps: 8
Tension: Moderate/Heavy
Goals: To rehab my shoulders and to be able do pushups without any sign of pain in the coming two weeks (20 Feb 2012). My main goal is to build Nerve Force.
Journal: I feel very pumped and it feels like every muscle in my whole body was worked.

Exercise Log: 07 Feb. 2012
AM/PM: AM
Reps: 10
Goals: To rehab my shoulders and to be able do pushups without any sign of pain in the coming two weeks (20 Feb 2012). My main goal is to build Nerve Force.
Journal: I feel very pumped during each rep and feel like I am increasing in strength. My mind seems to be getting stronger and its interesting but my neck is getting a workout.

Exercise Log: 08 Feb. 2012
AM/PM: Throughout the day
Reps: 10
Journal: I feel very pumped during each rep and feel like I am increasing in strength. My mind seems to be getting stronger and its interesting but my neck is getting a workout.

Exercise Log: 09 Feb. 2012
AM/PM: PM
Sets: 1
Reps: 3
Tension: Low-Med-High; High-Med-Low (I used the teachings of my Guruji Paramahansa Yogananda and the results were the same as if I did 2x10.)

Kris

Share |

Banned

02-12-2012, 06:44 AM

I've been doing push-ups, crunches, squats and in-place aerobics for years, and I never felt I had a balance problem. So did the great Woody Strode, but of course I never looked as good as he did. I never had a chin-up bar at home, so I kept working out without pulling exercises since I gave up weight training around 2000.

Share |