Share |
Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control

Author

02-24-2020, 04:23 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick update for you.

When I release the course for the Isometric Power Belt at the end of March it will also feature an extensive course in 'DVR' that together with the Isometric Power Belt I have renamed as a system of exercise "Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control".

Personal opinion only, the combination of Power Belt Isometrics and DVR together allow you to gain the kind of physique that most men want in terms of strength, muscle size, and sculpted shape. This combination is particularly good for creating a fantastic pump which I have stated many, many times is the key to building muscle size. By combining Power Belt Isometrics with the Dynamic Muscle Control exercises you'll achieve both strength and shape. BUT let me also clarify one other point while I am discussing this point. Years ago John McSweeney told me that one could gain as much muscle size from performing his 'Tiger Tension' exercises as from actually lifting weights. I repeated John's assertion which I believed to be 100% true and was incorrect on my behalf. The truth is that with the use of heavy weights you can lift weights far heavier than your ability to maximize antagonistic muscle tension in the muscles. For example, if you actually perform a squat with 400 pounds on your shoulders, it is far beyond what you can mentally create through antagonistic muscle action because you would have no frame of reference to create such a high level of tension/contraction. Granted, when I met John, he was powerfully developed and it was not hard to imagine that he lifted weights to achieve his development BUT John did not lift weights and had not lifted weights or performed bodyweight exercises for more than 20 years when I met him at his then-current age of 63, I was all of 38 at the time.

Let me also clarify for those that don't know. I have never been an advocate of imaginary weight lifting in the sense that Greg Mangan has. If you doubt this then read my books PYTP or M7. I made it clear in both books that I did not see anything wrong with the VRT approach of imaginary weight lifting and even said that it was fine if it helped you but that I used a different approach that agreed completely with Alois P Swoboda's method that Swoboda himself called 'Muscle Control'. In fact, Swoboda was the very first to use the term MUSCLE CONTROL of all early Physical Culture teachers.

With the above stated, I believe you can become far more adept at MUSCLE CONTROL by using Swoboda's method of maximizing the 'antagonistic relationship' of agonist muscles working against the antagonist muscles. Doing so literally feels as though you are trying to move with 'the breaks on'. By that, I mean that most of you have probably tried to drive forward after having forgotten that you have your 'Parking Brake' ON and have experienced the extreme almost immovable difficulty of trying to move under those circumstances... This is what I mean by using the 'antagonistic muscle' relationship rather than imagining lifting weights. In fact, the first time I ever read about 'imaginary weight lifting' was in Frank Rudolph Young's book "Yoga for Men Only'. Young discussed it and described it in detail but I immediately realized that I personally achieved far better results with Swoboda's method of direct muscle action rather than imagining anything. Swoboda, described his method this way:

Quote:
"When nineteen years of age, I was very weak and debilitated. The fact that my father died of consumption five years previous, and the warning of my friends that I would follow the same route, caused me to look toward exercise as a means of building up my health and strength. I began the study of anatomy for the location, functions, and relations of all the muscles. I studied physiology to find the physiological effect of exercise; why exercise caused development, and the effect of different modes of exercise. I soon found that the use of heavy weights was the speediest route to development. But I also found that the use of the weights checked the capillary circulation, thereby increasing the pressure in the arteries, consequently placing an undue strain on the heart. Since, however, the use of weights caused a rapid development of the muscles and the willpower and at the same time overtaxed the heart, it occurred to me that if I could find a means by which the muscles could be offered the same resistance as by the use of weights (and still not use weights), that I could gain as much muscle, will power and vital force in as short a time, and not overtax the heart, which is unavoidable when weights are used.

"In studying anatomy I soon noticed that while all moveable parts of the body had muscles to move them one way, they also had muscles to move them back again. it then occurred to me that to use one muscle to offer resistance to another would cause the same development as the use of weights to offer resistance, but with alternate contractions and relaxations, would help the venous circulation and instead of obstructing the circulation in the capillaries, would help the blood in the course towards the heart, thereby resting the heart. Therefore, the alternate contractions and relaxations of one muscle under the influence of a stimulus (will power) to antagonize another is the principle of my system of physiological exercise. ALOIS P SWOBODA"

Now let me also say that I am certain that some of you will wonder if I am also including Push-Ups, Squats, etc... The answer is that I certainly mention the benefits of those exercises BUT the truth is that there will be many that read this course that will be coming to it as a means of becoming fit and some of them would not be capable of doing those exercises and they would become discouraged so I don't make a big deal at all of those bodyweight exercises. The truth is that the Dynamic Muscle Tension exercises are adaptable for every person on the planet and once learned can provide a perfect workout for the whole spectrum of people from the weakest to the strongest.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

02-25-2020, 06:02 AM

I never really understood the benefit of imaginary weight lifting as it relates to shaping and developing your physique. I always saw it as a way to get better at weight lifting. The pump you can obtain performing this is great; however, I still see it somewhat limiting in nature.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-25-2020, 09:33 AM

I never really gave imaginary weight lifting much thought (no pun intended) until I heard of Greg Mangan, and I heard of him only after experiencing DVR’s.

At their base, they’re the same. They both use muscles as the resistance against other muscles. They each require a certain kind and amount of focus in order to be performed successfully.

However, the concept of VRT might be easier for those who have lifted weights extensively to grasp.

At the same time, if you’ve not lifted weights much, straight DVR probably gives you more flexibility and room to “play” with movements.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

03-27-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
[b]Hello Everyone,

I have a quick update for you.

When I release the course for the Isometric Power Belt at the end of March it will also feature an extensive course in 'DVR' that together with the Isometric Power Belt I have renamed as a system of exercise "Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control".

---John Peterson
Hey John,
Just checking in on your schedule, it's the end of March, have your plans changed, or are you still planning on releasing this by the end of March.

All the best - Jon

Share |

Author

03-27-2020, 05:43 PM

GBJJ,

My writing is done and now I have to have it designed. Which I will do in a few weeks when our designers return to work. In the meantime, since I have the time, I'm going to reread every word that I have written in order to be certain that it is exactly what I want it to be.

I will announce when I have printed copies ready to ship.

---John

Share |