Share |
longer duration isos bad?

Legacy Member

06-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Ive read from other books and sites that longer duration isometrics such as more than 6 seconds are detrimental to muscle elasticity, endurance and speed. What do you guys think about this?

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Author

06-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Hello A1C Evans,

If I even remotely believed that I would never have written what I have. Both Steve Justa and I believe and teach that the exact opposite is true. Anyone that would make an assertion like that has never done them or they would know better. If you or anyone else wants the absolute maximum of benefit from Isometric Contraction you must mix up the protocols. From very short Pulsing Isometrics to long duration Aerobic Isometrics. Take for instance a nose to mat 'bridge' where you hold the Isometric Contraction for three minutes or longer. By doing so you achieve a phenomenal level of strength, flexibility and endurance. The same is also true when using my Isometric Power Belt.

Bottom line: For maximum benefit mix up the protocols of intensity and duration.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

06-02-2009, 12:21 AM

Evans,
maybe those books were talking about something different. it probably depends on context. they might be referring to fast twitch muscles in relation to sprinting. doing iso more than 6 secs tend to get muscle growth. that's what they found with research. 6 secs max tension of muscles is enough to trigger strength and growth. more muscle growth makes one have more mass so less speed and elasticity. elasticity in terms of fast movement twitch of muscles. maybe they are talking in terms of explosive movements? training for quick reflex and explosive movements tend to focus on less time duration.

I still think it depends on your goals and context. speed, flexibility and elasticity in what context? you can have those 3 elements in running for sprinting or long distance. you can also have those 3 elements in muscle strength.

Share |

Banned

06-02-2009, 04:32 AM

This is a common misconception I've seen many times.Long duration isos don't affect muscle elasiticity but increase tendon stiffness.Of course this is not bad.In fact it's unique advantage of long isos and I think it's the only kind of training that can offer this.
As the tendon becomes stiffer the muscle can react much faster.For example if you increase the stiffness of your knee tendon your vertical jump will increase too.
A very safe alternative of plyometrics is long duration isometric squats.I wish I knew that when I was playing bball and plyos destroyed my knees.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-02-2009, 04:50 AM

One thing that is easy to miss when performing Isometrics is the total relaxation afterwards of the body's muscles after an intense contraction. As well, there needs to be copious deep breathing to exchange oxygen.

Share |

06-02-2009, 06:00 AM

They can affect people different ways, depending on other factors. You can see the results by checking out youtube, searching Steve Justa and John.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

06-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Hi everyone, thank you for the replies. Ok, thats good news since I like to use different contractions time lengths to give different feels.

Thanks again everyone.

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Legacy Member

06-02-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1C Evans View Post
Hi everyone, thank you for the replies. Ok, thats good news since I like to use different contractions time lengths to give different feels.

Thanks again everyone.
Jared,

Sub-maximal, long duration isometrics are part and parcel to “hard style” Qi Gong. I find no evidence that they slow a person down—quite the contrary. They develop both speed and power. If that weren’t the case, I am sure they would have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. I mean……………..such exercises have been around for over 2000 years.

Share |

06-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Dodo birds were around much longer than 2000 years. Something to think about . . .

I suggest trying it out for yourself.

Let us know what you think,
Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

06-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
One thing that is easy to miss when performing Isometrics is the total relaxation afterwards of the body's muscles after an intense contraction. As well, there needs to be copious deep breathing to exchange oxygen.
Great point Greg, you are onto it!

Share |