Share |
Sylvester Stallone's bodyweight for the Rocky Movies

Legacy Member

01-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Recently I watched the Rocky series of movies. Stallone looked different in each one and I was curious as to his weight. This quotes comes from Stallone's website.

Quote:
“I was 178 for Rocky, and 200 in Rocky II. For Rocky III I was 163. For my next film, Rocky IV, I went up to 173. I like this weight, because it is a fuller, rounder look, more in keeping with the old Roman athletes. I’m not quite as sinewy as I was in Rocky III, but I feel stronger.”
Now, I want our readers to think about this. Stallone is in the 5-8 to 5-10 range in height, depending on the source. He looked fantastic in those movies. However, John and I both liked the look he had in Rocky I. He looked strong and natural, and actually looked like a boxer. Probably at that time he was taking no extra supplementation, if you get my drift.

The point though, is that Stallone was very well built at a light bodyweight compared to what Americans weigh today. Unfortunately many of us have been sold a bill of goods as to what we are supposed to weigh. If we eat a lot and lift heavy weights, then we'll be big. It doesn't matter that with a bodyweight of over 200 pounds none of us ever remotely looked like Steve Reeves or any of the other presteroid bodybuilders from back in the day.

Think about it. I'm 5-10 and 185. This is a far cry from my dinosaur training days at 217. Yet, I am larger in the chest, shoulders and arms than I was in those days, and much much smaller in the waist.

If I can do it, so can you, but there are certain mental tapes you have to shuck, and the primary one you have to dispose of is that you have to weigh over 200 pounds to be BIG and have SiZE.

Greg

Share |

Banned

01-14-2012, 02:04 PM

Greg you are talking about the lean, healthy build some call the Warrior build, and Americans are getting fatter, they say now 2/3's of adults are overweight or obese. Style for women are pushing slimmer for models while most women become heavier like the men in real life. The so called Warrior is a man capable of being a soldier, doing everything from running, to fighting fires, and it denotes health and fitness. Pre-steroid Rocky looked natural, I agree with you and John, Rocky 1 was his best fitness.

Share |

Banned

01-14-2012, 02:29 PM

Greg I agree with you and John,Rocky I he definetlly looked more natural.In the last Rocky the funnest part was what the trainer told him before he started training,then seeing his training.

When I first started working out I was 5' 11'' about 145 lbs.I went up to 160lbs after my first 3 years.Then I couldn't gain more size for years.Then when I got into my late 30's I couldn't keep the weight off.I went up to 200lbs plus.I now weigh 175lbs all year,even in the winter.My waist is about the same size as it was when I weighed 145 and my chest is larger.The look that I was after for years,although I always see room for improvement,I now have.I thought the same thing,you have to be 200 plus to look and be strong.I feel way stronger at the weight I'm at now.

michael

Share |

01-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Greg,

I agree that Stallone looked awesome in the first Rocky. I think the "extra vitamins" are a sad an easy way out.

MikeNY,

In regards to the 2/3's of the population being overweight. I think that is an underestimate. I have nothing to back that up, it's just my opinion based on the number of overweight people that I have to pick up and carry at work. I know this sounds mean, but, it's not uncommon to have patients so overweight that it requires 4-6 men to pick them up when they are on the cot and put them in the med unit.

And finally, since I have stopped drinking, I have went from a body weight of 216, down to 197 as of yesterday. My only changes have been the elimination of booze, eating a bit cleaner, and being more consistent with my workouts.

Share |

01-14-2012, 05:35 PM

I read in his fitness book that he said that when he was doing the Lords of Flatbush and Rocky I that he didn't have a great diet, but often ate things like fried chicken. I think that expectations were ramped up after the success that he experienced with that movie. The story of how he got that movie produced and got the starring role is a Rocky story in itself. He really had to work hard to find someone who would believe in him.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Hi lawrencetalbot,

Stallone's triumph over adversity in getting Rocky made is very inspirational and inspires me today. Too, I am a big fan of the Rocky movies. The drama therein is superb. There are also a lot of lesser known Stallone films such as Nighthawks, Oscar, and Cop Land that I really like. Stallone has been and is a very athletic actor, and is fanatical about diet and exercise.

I have to say though that back in the eighties Stallone and Arnold changed the perceptions of how a man should look, and helped usher in the era of steroid Hollywood. A drug enhanced physique is never a natural looking physique and it skews the way human beings look. However, we're so used to seeing drug enhanced physiques now, we believe that we are seeing what is normal muscular development.

Greg

Share |

Banned

01-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Mattman you might be right, just saw a News Story, due to the increase in weight of Americans they are cutting the number of people allowed on a Ferryboat, and all boats. Mattman scary 4 to 6 men to lift one person!

Greg you are so right! Steroidal looks are considered normal now!

Share |