Share |
Crunching Your Way To Perfect Abs

Author

05-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Hello Everyone,

One of the benefits of having a really strong and fat-free core is that it increases your full body functional strength and ability to apply your strength in an extraordinary way. But in addition, having a tight ultra-slim waistline will enhance the look of the rest of your physique as well.

I am mentioning this because I have received an e-mail from a man asking me if I personally perform 'crunches' and the answer is that I certainly do. I perform a series of 10 different crunches that each focus on a different section of the waistline and that I believe will sculpt it far faster than any other training routine. When you master this routine and perform 50 or more reps in each position you will be completing 500+ reps each workout.

The question, 'Do Crunches really work?' is almost laughable provided that you really achieve a level of intense muscular tension with each rep. Believe me, a 'crunch' is a perfect example of the extreme benefits of Iso-Dynamic Contraction exercises in which the focus is exclusively on the muscular contraction itself.

To further underscore how beneficial the 'crunch' really is I will place a short quote below that I got from an article in the magazine "Men's Journal" titled "The 15 most Inspiring Hollywood Transformations" in which Robert De Niro's physical transformation and how he achieved it were detailed.

Quote:
6. Robert De Niro

What He Did: At age 48, De Niro chiseled his body down to an incredible four percent body fat.

Why He Did It: De Niro needed to look believable as ex-convict Max Cady, obsessed with vengeance, in 1991’s Cape Fear.

What He Ate: Personal trainer Dan Harvey put De Niro on a high-carbohydrate diet to fuel his marathon workout sessions. Whole grains, brown rice, and green vegetables such as spinach, lettuce, and broccoli were the cornerstones.

His Workout: De Niro trained the only way his character could, with endless reps of body-weight exercises such as dips, chin-ups, and pushups. De Niro reportedly performed up to 600 crunches a day—and it showed in his abs.

Plus: De Niro had previously earned serious street cred for his physical dedication to a part with 1980’s Raging Bull. De Niro trained with Jake La Motta (the man he played in the movie), convincing the legendary boxer that De Niro could have fought professionally if he had a mind to. To look the part of La Motta in his later years, De Niro then gained 60 pounds—thanks to a trip to Europe and a four-month eating binge.

De Niro says: “You’ll have time to rest when you’re dead.”

As an interesting side note, I had a man tell me that after performing my crunch routine that sit-ups and leg-raises seemed completely ineffective by comparison. His assertion may be true as relates to sculpting the abs BUT performing sit-ups and leg raises allows you to put your muscles through an entire range of motion that does convey certain benefits as relates to range of motion and athleticism.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-21-2020, 05:36 AM

Interesting John,

I recently started doing the Ring of Fire routine, Do you still do this one as well in your weekly ab workouts?

Share |

Author

05-21-2020, 01:46 PM

Hello GBJJ,

The Ring of Fire is the Isometric Muscle Control Course that isolates and contracts each muscle of 'The Entire Waistline' to the maximum on the front, back, and sides. It was originally developed by Larry Scott, the very first Mr. Olympia. When I talked with him on the phone I asked him, "Mr. Scott, you constantly reference going for the 'Synapse' without ever mentioning 'Isometric Contraction'. Do you have something against the term?" His response was that if he used the term 'Isometric Contraction' that he wouldn't be able to sell it as a new innovation in training. I fully understood.

At any rate the 'Ring of Fire' is a totally Isometric PowerFlex workout and it requires deep concentration to contract each muscle to the maximum for 12 seconds. 'This is done with the Isometric Power Belt looped over an open door. Once you learn the sequence you can do it on automatic pilot and it is an amazing routine for bringing out muscular definition. I do it daily and it is the ultimate Isometric Muscle Control Course. The Crunch Course does nothing for the muscles on the backside of the body but does wonders for chiseling out the muscles of the '6-pack' and obliques.

---John Peterson

Share |