Share |
Roger Moore used bodyweight and thoughts on frequency

01-20-2019, 10:07 PM

I recently read an article in a Brit newspaper where Roger states:
Quote:
What exercise do you take?

All my life I've exercised every morning, doing push-ups and sit-ups and callisthenics. When I was Bond I had to be 100 per cent fit. That was purely to make sure I got paid on Fridays.
I write this as I'm watching a younger Moore starring in "The Saint".

I was introduced to strength training as a an activity that required defined breaks or rest periods between to allow the body to recover. That idea seems more in tune with a strenuous barbell type workout with extraneous resistance wherein so much damage is done to the muscles that a protracted period of disuse is needed between sessions.

More recently I see a lot of articles and videos from various trainers advocating leaving a bit in the tank an training every day or nearly so. I come from the camp of HIT so its a bit foreign to me, but I'm learning and going into it with an open mind. I'm coming to prefer the easier but more frequent workout protocol.

Share |

01-21-2019, 08:28 AM

Also using heavy loads which require a day or more of rest are tough on the joints. That's a funny quote from Roger Moore, as a bond fan I think he had the worst physique of any bond. He rarely took off his shirt. Sean Connery had a swimmers build and Daniel Craig has the typical weights and cardio look most gym guys have. Pierce Brosnan was a skinny runner.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

01-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Also using heavy loads which require a day or more of rest are tough on the joints. That's a funny quote from Roger Moore, as a bond fan I think he had the worst physique of any bond. He rarely took off his shirt. Sean Connery had a swimmers build and Daniel Craig has the typical weights and cardio look most gym guys have. Pierce Brosnan was a skinny runner.
When it comes to build, Craig had it best out of all the bonds but I never truly saw him as Bond compared to Connery and Moore. Connery was a former Mr. Universe contender several years before being Bond and was the very best next to Moore who brought a wittier side to it. The build was just different back in those days as you know but they also did pretty well doing their own stunts on a lot of the films although Moore did use a stuntman more than Connery did.

Did they have to be in shape, hell yeah and it suited them but they weren't incredibly built even at a smaller size. Still fun to watch though. I grew up in the Brosnon era although by the time I was born, Moore finished up as Bond and Timothy Dalton did his 2 films which bombed compared to the other films. I don't believe physique was the BIG priority.

Share |

01-21-2019, 03:45 PM

I would generally agree with all of your comments. My favorite Bond was Moore, but not because of his outstanding physique. The whole persona really.

An actor I think would be a good bond also would have been Jason Statham. Excellent build and a Brit to boot.

The 1980's and 1990's ushered in the era of the juiced bodybuilder action hero type and most roles requiring physicality get cast accordingly. Daniel Craig has a nice build but is bigger than is needed for a James Bond. I really like him in the part though.

I just hope we don't end up with a Dwayne Johnson or John Cena type James Bond in the future.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

01-21-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ware View Post
I would generally agree with all of your comments. My favorite Bond was Moore, but not because of his outstanding physique. The whole persona really.

An actor I think would be a good bond also would have been Jason Statham. Excellent build and a Brit to boot.

The 1980's and 1990's ushered in the era of the juiced bodybuilder action hero type and most roles requiring physicality get cast accordingly. Daniel Craig has a nice build but is bigger than is needed for a James Bond. I really like him in the part though.

I just hope we don't end up with a Dwayne Johnson or John Cena type James Bond in the future.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if it did. Very few people can play bond now and I would like to see Idris Elba in the role. Be a change of pace and something to check up on. The funny thing some people want bond to stay English yet most of the actors who played him aren't even British. Connery is Scottish, Lanzenby was Australian and Brosnon was Irish. 3 out of the 7 bonds are English I just find it a little funny.

Share |

01-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb View Post
The funny thing some people want bond to stay English yet most of the actors who played him aren't even British. Connery is Scottish, Lanzenby was Australian and Brosnon was Irish. 3 out of the 7 bonds are English I just find it a little funny.
I consider the entire UK as British. Not technically correct, but close enough for me. LOL

I could see Idris, I was actually thinking Denzel Washington could have been a great bond as well.

Share |

Author

01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Hey Friends,

I've read the Bond books and believe me, they could literally make totally new Bond films if they were willing to recreate the time period they were written in after WWII and then dealing with the tensions of the 'cold war' as written in the Ian Fleming books. Physically speaking, I think Sean Connery that had intentionally lost 20 pounds to play Bond in "Dr. No" was the closest to Bond physical description as described in the books.

---John Peterson

P.S. Ware is correct, ALL of the actors so far that have played Bond have technically been British (from British Commonwealth nations) but most have not been English as Benny has pointed out.

Last edited by John Peterson; 01-25-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Share |

Author

01-25-2019, 06:01 PM

Hello Friends,

Moore did a western with Clint Walker back when Walker at his most famous.

Here's a clip. I'd be surprised if he trained at all back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRls9pP-QI

---John Peterson

Share |