Share |
Dr. Mercola: Is Crossfit Safe?

Author

05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

Hey Men,

My friend KC Craichy sent me the following link because he has realized that everything that I have been stating for years about exercise is 100% true.

Bottomline: any exercise system that causes pain and injury is non-sustainable and rather than take you to your genetic potential it will prevent you from ever reaching it if you are among those who are seriously injured.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit..._rid=965238797

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-25-2015, 01:55 PM

Hi John,

Good article - although they got kissy-face towards Cross Fit at the end. I guess Glassman's legal team scares them too.

High intensity intervals done in a short period of time with basic calisthenic and weight training exercises? I could go for that - especially when I was younger, High Intensity intervals with Olympic Weight lifting and gymnastic exercise? No sale. I doubt that many have the genetic abilities to survive and thrive on that. The article brought up the point about leverage.

It is not just about physical conditioning. I'm an older guy and I do O.K. in the physical fitness department and I actually train a lot with intervals. But, it is about the right choice of exercise. Especially as you age, you have to choose things that don't cause additional wear and tear on the joints.

There is a reason the majority of people playing contact sports are in their teens and twenties. There is a reason young men are recruited to become soldiers. The body begins to peak out after your twenties and as you get into your thirties you begin a downhill slide. The good news is that you keep a fairly high level of physical fitness as you age if you are smart about it.

So what about CrossFit? I think DDP Yoga is a natural for CrossFitters to eventually graduate to.

Greg Newton

Share |

05-25-2015, 04:18 PM

That is an interesting article and a concept that I first saw on the original 60 minutes program. To me it speaks more to psychology in an over protective and controlled society that is against regulation and structure on one hand and increasingly protective and controlled on the other hand.

The frontiers are all disappearing so what is a person to do to exercise and experiment with that risk taking, adventure seeking, part of our personaity that still exists in all of us to a greater or lesser extent and maybe is being pushed harder by the encroaching protectiveness of society. I have seen this referred to as the “Forbidden Fruit Complex” During prohibition the consumption of alcohol actually increased and even among people who weren't drinkers who decided to start drinking just because someone told them that they couldn't do it. It is why many teenage girls are attracted to “bad boys” -excitement,risk,and living on the edge.

My dentist, who is in his 50s, is really a good guy and a very conforming , structured, regulated ,and contolled personlity with regard to exercise and diet until you mention Cross Fit at which point he becomes a fantatical and inspired disciple of Cross Fit. That is not unusual.

We don't have to wait for a person to get injured with Cross Fit. We can stimulate that same need for growth and change with Power Flexing and Isometrics if we show that it develops not only external muscular strength and growth, but also internal stremgth or Nerve Force and develops all of the potenital forces contained within our total being.

“The dangers of life are infinite, and among them is safety.”– Goethe”

Last edited by Andy62; 05-25-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Share |

Author

05-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Hey Men,

Personally, I think "Living Strength" will prove itself to be the best and safest program for lifelong strength and fitness. And in case some of you guys have missed it, I have been recommending intervals for years.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Hey Men,

Personally, I think "Living Strength" will prove itself to be the best and safest program for lifelong strength and fitness. And in case some of you guys have missed it, I have been recommending intervals for years.

---John Peterson
G.U.T.S., for example, is interval training. The Pushup program from Ultimate Pushups is a type of interval training.

As for DDP Yoga, I like the concepts behind it and picked up a few things from it. However, it is a brand, and it is a form of exercise where everything is laid out for you, so it is not for me.

In time, most people who do Crossfit will need a program like DDP Yoga to rehabilitate the damage they've created to their bodies. That is what I meant about them moving on to DDP. As with Crossfit, they'll want everything laid out for them and they will be attracted to the branding.

The thing I have liked about John is that he always has encouraged people to be their own trainers by listening to their body's feedback and making their own decisions of how they needed to train. Nothing against any other style of training whether good or not so good, but I prefer making my own decisions of what works and doesn't work for me.

Greg Newton

Share |

Author

05-26-2015, 08:18 AM

Hey Galet1959,

Thank you for the resounding endorsement which is greatly appreciated.

Do understand though that I know Greg and he was just being tongue in cheek.

What Greg says is true for a certain type of person that wants someone else to be telling them exactly what to do rather than for them to take the initiative to learn the best possible principles of self mastery and to then apply them for themselves.

Note: Just about everyone from the past including Galen Gough, Alois P Swoboda, Maxick, Bernarr MacFadden, Alexander Zass, The Mighty Atom, Charles Atlas and so many others were not following anyone elses teaching. This was true even as relates to my friend John McSweeney. They may have read what others had to say about certain methods and teachings but each man took it upon himself to refine and make his own way.

In essence that is what we teach. Every man can learn valuable, and life changing principles right here. BUT he must apply them to his own mind and physiology. If he doesn't, he will never achieve self mastery.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-26-2015, 11:01 AM

I don’t practice CrossFit, and I don’t promote or denounce it. But some of the fitness certifying groups are trying to legislate CrossFit’s business model out of existence.

“CrossFit Inc.'s competitors are lobbying the government to criminalize all fitness trainers who don't acquire certifications from ACSM [American College of Sports Medicine], NSCA [National Strength and Conditioning Association] or other similar organizations. If these bills are implemented, the police will charge a CrossFit L1 trainer who teaches his client to squat with a ‘misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.’"

“ACSM, NSCA, the American Council on Exercise (ACE) and other CrossFit competitors are colluding through the US Registry of Exercise Professionals (USREPS) and its advocacy arm, the Coalition for the Registration of Exercise Professionals (CREP).”

These quotes are from a site that is biased in favor of CrossFit, and you can read the rest of post here: Jail Time for Air Squats? USREPS' Scheme to Stop CrossFit

This sounds like what the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition did to blogger Steve Cooksey back in 2012, when he posted advice about his Paleo diet and its help with his diabetes.
Blogger Giving Advice Resists State's: Get a License

If we’re thinking for ourselves, we shouldn’t need a government dictate to limit what teachings we choose to follow or not.

Share |

Author

05-26-2015, 01:25 PM

Hey MetryOp.

Freedom is a two edged sword that cuts both ways.

As far as I am concerned, if people want to do Crossfit that should be their choice. It's totally fine with me that Crossfit is creating the "Living Strength" market.

Truth to tell, forty years ago Evel Knievel would have made a great spokesman for Crossfit.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-26-2015, 01:46 PM

I look at Cross Fit as strictly a marketing strategy that has very successfully targeted a personality type that is a particular and growing segment of the population. It is freedom of choice.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/arti...you-risk-taker

"Sensation-seeking, also called excitement-seeking, is the tendency to pursue sensory pleasure and excitement. It's the trait of people who go after novelty, complexity, and intense sensations, who love experience for its own sake, and who may take risks in the pursuit of such experience. Sensation seekers are 'easily bored without high levels of stimulation,' explains Sam Gosling, a psychologist at the University of Texas at Austin. 'They love bright lights and hustle and bustle and like to take risks and seek thrills”.

Last edited by Andy62; 05-26-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Share |

Author

05-26-2015, 01:52 PM

Hey Gordon,

What you have written almost reads like a description of the Evel Knievel personality.

---John Peterson

Share |