Share |
Ric Drasin and Steve Davis

Legacy Member

06-06-2015, 03:00 PM

This is a recent Ric's Corner featuring former Bodybuilder Steve Davis. Seventies bodybuilding is not the normal focus of this site, but there are some interesting observations over the course of the interview concerning drugs, aging, HGH, aesthetics, joint problems from training heavy and dynamic tension exercises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN305T4buCI

Greg Newton

Last edited by Greg Newton; 06-06-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Share |

06-07-2015, 11:27 AM

Hey- thanks Greg! These old bodybuilders have come to some good insights from their many years of training... unfortunately, they are all pretty much plagued with permanent injuries from the excessive use of the heavy iron.

Perhaps you should direct them to Transformetrics!

Share |

06-07-2015, 11:41 AM

Looking at that picture; it looks like Steve Davis didn't retain anything exceptional in his build as he aged.

Share |

Author

06-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Hey Men,

I appreciate the candor and honesty about steroids and injuries that these men had expressed.

My take is that they absolutely believe that injuries are a given for anyone that wanted to excel.

If you guys want to see something totally off the beaten path, Check this guy out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgr2_yCskB4

---John Peterson

Share |

06-07-2015, 03:44 PM

With his distorted speech I bet he is a stroke victim

Share |

06-07-2015, 05:39 PM

Gordon, I agree. They all look kind of sad to be honest. I feel sorry for all of them.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-07-2015, 07:26 PM

Andreas Cahling, a.k.a. The Golden Viking (once upon a time) was the victim of a brain tumor. I really don't know what to make of his YouTube videos other than that the older he gets, the more he resembles the mock up of the Cro-Magnom iceman they found buried in the Alps.

Steve Davis and Ric Drasin I enjoy listening to. Steve looks good for a man in his seventies, but as Gordon pointed out, the muscular development is no more. Ric is a physical wreck with joints trashed from years of heavy lifting and professional wrestling. He has very limited mobility, but the man definitely has a very positive attitude.

Yes, they would be a natural for DVR style exercise. And this really begs a question. Whether weights build muscle faster or better than bodyweight exercises and self-resistance or not, wouldn't it be better to do something that can keep your build and joints relatively safe and useful toward the last decades of your life?

I am not writing this to be argumentative, but thinking about this almost makes me want to run back to Charles Atlas style training exclusively.

Greg

Share |

06-07-2015, 08:41 PM

That is a wonderful summation Greg!

My good friend's son was questioning me yesterday about my power rack, and told me he's getting into powerlifting for football! I use my power rack exclusively now for isometrics, and self resisted movements, and I hardly knew what to say.

He's a big boy at 15, and wants to get even bigger for football...

I don't care for football, and I know weights are also a trap, fitness wise. But I also know at that age they don't want to hear about bodyweight and dynamic resistance, seeing it as old school at best.

What would you guys tell him? His dad is getting him a power rack/cage for his barn, and I want to guide him right. Should I tell him to forget the weights entirely (that is my first inclination), or to just "go easy" and not overdo it in his early years?

I really want to put him on the right track, not just throughout high school, but for the rest of his life! Great Kid!

Share |

06-07-2015, 10:03 PM

If he is getting into high school football training he will probably be going into a standardized training program which most high schools have today.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-08-2015, 04:28 AM

Hi Jaymo,

Young athletes want to lift weights. DVR and DSR's are hard concepts for them to get and they can't put the mental effort and concentration into them. This is why I keep an Olympic bar and some dumbbells in my classroom lab. Weights are something tangible.

So how do you introduce them to something that requires intense concentration? I teach them the Tiger Moves as a form of stretching. A Power Rack would also be great for teaching Isometrics with a bar and then follow with a full range movement. You can get incredibly strong doing this, and within a Power Rack, there is a safety factor.

During the peak testosterone years, young athletes have much more recovery ability and temperamentally are more suited to weight training. Put the self-resistance exercises in subtly. That gives him some options later on, when the body isn't so resilient.

Greg Newton

Share |