Share |
wim hof method

11-18-2019, 12:01 AM

hi, everyone, was quite busy lately with some new endeavors, also i became a great- grandfather for the first time thanks God, a year and half ago I suffered a major stroke in my Medula Oblongata , the chief neurologist, asked me if i would be willing to speak to a gathering of other docs about isometrics, and explain my experience with it, because even though according to them i supposedly lost about 40% of my strength, when they measured me on different machines my strength was on the high side of men my age without a stroke, so they're going to incorporate isometrics for stroke victims who have a limited range of motion, .... about the title...i was practicing Wim Hof's ( the iceman ) methods with great success, I'm wondering if anyone had tried it

Share |

Legacy Member

11-18-2019, 08:12 AM

Solytrain,

Sorry to hear about the stroke. Seems like getting older is not for sissies.

About a year ago I started watching Wm Hoff's you-tube videos and decided to give it a try. I was pretty good with the breathing exercises for a few months. I have taken to the cold showers and ice baths. I almost feel guilty even to turn on the lukewarm water. I don't believe that soap works all that well with cold water.
I found the breathing exercises took a lot of effort and did not look forward to doing the breathing. I do see great value in the breathing exercises and started working on it again a couple of weeks ago.
I really have not had a cold all year. I definitely think that there is validity in the cold temperatures improving one's immune system and will continue with the cold showers the rest of my life. Takes some time to set up a cold bath, but I like the cold baths better than the cold showers. I want to find a solution to maintaining a cold tub of water.

Tim

Share |

Author

11-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Hello Soly,

I join TimK in stating that I am sorry to read about your stroke. You're a good man Soly, a really good man, and I pray that HaShem will bless and keep you and bring you back to full recovery which it seems is already happening.

Your statement : "The chief neurologist, asked me if i would be willing to speak to a gathering of other docs about isometrics, and explain my experience with it, because even though according to them i supposedly lost about 40% of my strength, when they measured me on different machines my strength was on the high side of men my age without a stroke, so they're going to incorporate isometrics for stroke victims who have a limited range of motion, ...." will be greatly encouraging to everyone that has a medical condition of any kind.

As you and I have discussed on several occasions the Kiveloff full-body Isometric Contraction was originally developed to enhance the circulation of diabetic patients so that they would not have to have toes amputated. The method worked extraordinarily well for those patients and also offered the added benefit of reducing blood pressure naturally and permanently for those people that continue to do it. Truly remarkable.

As far as you testing on the high side of strength for men your age that have not experienced the debilitating effects a stroke, I have to say that I would be lying if I said I was surprised. One reason I say that is because more than two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with a condition that could easily have become a stroke and that was causing me severe headaches and that has since been diminishing according to all scans. As a result of ultra-intense Isometric contraction practiced daily, I have completely eliminated severe headaches from my life while at the same time greatly eliminating the effects of post-polio syndrome. In fact, the only time I feel the burning pain of post-polio is if I do not get enough rest. The even better news is that when I switched to ultra high-intensity exercise (of which Isometric Contraction is the highest intensity of all) from high volume I started sleeping like a baby and was no longer awakened in the middle of the night by the pain of Post-Polio Syndrome.

From my personal observation, Isometric Contraction is the most life-enhancing form of exercise that one can do. It's benefits are beyond the comprehension of most people.

I'm delighted to read that you are doing so well. I have no dounbt that you will fully recover.

---John Peterson

Share |

11-18-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytrain View Post
hi, everyone, was quite busy lately with some new endeavors, also i became a great- grandfather for the first time thanks God, a year and half ago I suffered a major stroke in my Medula Oblongata , the chief neurologist, asked me if i would be willing to speak to a gathering of other docs about isometrics, and explain my experience with it, because even though according to them i supposedly lost about 40% of my strength, when they measured me on different machines my strength was on the high side of men my age without a stroke, so they're going to incorporate isometrics for stroke victims who have a limited range of motion, .... about the title...i was practicing Wim Hof's ( the iceman ) methods with great success, I'm wondering if anyone had tried it
Solytrain, sorry to hear of your stroke. Wishing you a full recovery. Your post has me interested from the standpoint of...

Are the neurologists especially interested in your case because they know you used Isometrics and you retained a lot of strength post stroke and they don't see that same strength retention in others that have trained with typical isotonic training?

Isometrics are great, especially when one is dealing with limited ranges of motion as in the case of a stroke, or injury.

Share |

Send a message via AIM to sixmillionman Send a message via MSN to sixmillionman

11-19-2019, 08:50 AM

soly sorry about your strokke,the old saying you can not be a wimp being older,i know I am 71 years old

Share |

Legacy Member

11-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Solytrain,

Sorry to hear about your stroke.

My father-in-law had one a few years ago, and still isn't the same.

I'm glad your training has helped to keep you ahead of the curve, strength and health-wise.

Rob (aka blackbelt)

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

11-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytrain View Post

That really sucks Soly, sorry about your stroke and I'm happy you're recovering well from it. Hope it hasn't affected your speech or paralyzed a part of your body. The only part of the Hof method I've done would be the cold showers lol. I take cold showers quite often, after workouts and before I go to bed, I find it that it helps me sleep and balances out the heat in my body and when I rest. Keep getting better man and do what's best for you.

Share |

11-21-2019, 10:34 PM

the reason they where interested mainly,was for 2 reasons, one, is when they saw what strength level i had they asked me about my workouts,and after telling them that i only did isometrics, mainly,and also for only about 6-8 minutes a day they where intrigued by it, and secondly, even then when i had numbness in my left side and it was extremly difficult to do standard isotonic type movements, i used to do exersices with the belt in my room, and could push myself to push or pull with my left side

Share |

11-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Solytrain, I wish you success in your full recovery. I tried Wim Hof breathing techniques and found it duplicates the full-body isometric technique: It raises nitric oxide, keeps you warm, gives euphoric feelings and oxygenates the blood. I don't think there is a need for both, I prefer the full-body isometric.

Share |