Share |
Hill sprints vs GUTS Squats, is there a difference?

11-17-2009, 06:09 PM

I'm enjoying the pain and misery that is the GUTS program. Really!
I was contemplating alternating GUTS with Hillsprints during the week.
Is there a big difference between Tiger Bend Squats for 12 minutes and Hill Sprints for 15 minutes?
On the surface, it doesn't really look like it:
1. Both are essentially anaerobic
2. Both greatly condition and improve cardiovascular/pulmonary fitness
3. Both break down into a contest of will against self there towards the end
4. Both are stressing essentially the same muscle fibers, since no external loads are being used. (No DVR tension either) It's just your body weight being thrust against gravity. For that matter, Hill Sprints would be "worse" since it's one leg at a time.

Of course, Hill sprints could not be done inside, unless you count a stair case, but then it's called something different. And falling is much more painful....

Am I over thinking this? I know I'm supposed to be my own trainer and see for myself if my legs grow or fall off, but some discussion first would be nice.

Thanks,
Cliff

Share |

Author

11-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Hey Cliff,

Hill sprints and my own interval-sprint program on the cinder track could be alternated for the the TBS or Step Ups but neither of those alternatives is as easy to implement into a foundational program. G.U.T.S. puts it all together for the most benefit, and greatest convenience in the most concentrated amount of time.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

11-18-2009, 02:48 PM

I love hill sprints.I live on top of a 600m long hill. In fact tonight I did a session of warm up and 10 x 50m hill sprints all in about 15mins.
However GUTS is as John says,foundational and convenient. I would put some sprints in if you want but monitor your reaction.
I do not think John would ever want people to avoid doing other things.GUTS is to be used by you how you want it.It is not your master.Adapt it to your life and needs.
It is a great programme to be used with intelligence.

Share |

11-18-2009, 05:18 PM

I guess I should clarify.
I'm not at the point where I can advance with GUTS and train everyday. A recovery day might help optimize my gains. I do plan on pounding it out daily, but alas, for now, I am a merely an advanced physical culturist. One day I shall emerge into the Tough As Nails category, but not yet.
So, MFW- GUTS
TuThSat- something else.
And if that something else is Hill sprints, would that be too much for the quads and glutes?

Thanks,
Cliff

Share |

Tags
cardio, exercise, g.u.t.s., hill sprints