Share |
Let me tell you EXACTLY what to do!!

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 09:14 AM

I dunno about you guys, but I see a lot of articles in magazines and ads on the internet that say they're going to tell me EXACTLY what to do to fill in the blank. "Hey, let me tell you EXACTLY what to eat to lose weight." "This routine has EXACTLY what reps and sets you need build shirt bursting biceps!"

Do you think that really works? Can someone without so much as looking at you tell you the exact food you need or the exact exercises? Can anyone really write a one size fits all training routine?

I use to fall for this kind of stuff when I was in high school reading fitness magazines and the funny thing is, they never seemed get EXACTLY the results I was looking for. Then when I was in my late 20's I stumbled on this John Peterson guy. maybe you've heard of him, who didn't tell me EXACTLY what to do. Obviously this guy did know what he was talking about. I mean, come on, he couldn't even tell me EXACTLY how many reps and sets?! He couldn't tell me EXACTLY what my carb to protein ratio was suppose to be?!

It's funny how his system is the only one I've stuck with an prospered on. Funny that I've never given up in frustration while on his system. The old guy might not be totally clueless after all

I can tell you EXACTLY what to do though: Treat each new day as an opportunity to better yourself. Learn by doing. You are a unique human being, a singularity in the universe, respect yourself as such.

One of the best things you can do is begin keeping a journal. The 60 Day Personal Power Health & Fitness Journal is great to have in order to keep track of what is working and what isn't. Another great resource is our Power Training Forum, post your workouts in there and also feel free to post your general diet. I know all kinds of members get around to looking in there and are always happy to offer insight and encouragement.

-Joe

P.S. And before anyone says, "I got you, Joe! What about G.U.T.S.?! It's one size fits all!" G.U.T.S. in a foundational routine, it takes 24 minutes which leaves time over to work on your own specific goals! So nice try, but but no cigar

Share |

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
P.S. And before anyone says, "I got you, Joe! What about G.U.T.S.?! It's one size fits all!" G.U.T.S. in a foundational routine, it takes 24 minutes which leaves time over to work on your own specific goals! So nice try, but but no cigar
Even within the three baseline G.U.T.S. workouts there is room to tinker and adjust to your needs. Great post Joe. If more people would take control over their destiny rather than rely on the sages from afar, they would find their workouts more productive and enjoyable.

Share |

Banned

12-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Joe I am wit you on this dude. I am still telling family and friend's to get the Miracle 7, PYTP. IPR, Powerflex and about VRT. IMHO the M7 will give most people exactly what they want and need. GUTS sounds like a great Program and will do as advertised! But for a friend that needs to start down the road maybe just the M7 is that first step; later he can get GUTS.

For years I was buying the boxed set's of 10 Steps to a Better Body by Atlas for younger guys among in family & friends circle and there have been some dramtic changes with that. A freind's grandson must have lost 100+ pounds he went from 6'2 very fat to Mr America type using 10 Steps. I knew he'd changed but never that such a simple gift had done it. I'd told his grandma that the 10 Steps was selling on Amazon for hundred's of dollars. When she told him he said he wouldn't sell his copy of 10 Steps for $500 or $1000. That is when she found out how he'd lost all that weight, got fit and muscular. Seems even grandma's are not in the loop sometimes. Having given copies of the (10 Steps) & M7 to many within that circle and recommended to others I think your advise is right on. And 10 Steps is good but not 25% of what John writes.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Joe,

Fantastic thread brother. I totally agree!

peace,
jason

Share |

Author

12-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Hey Joe,

You made this old man's day. Thank You!

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

12-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Joe,

Fantastic post my brother and so true!!

I can remember when I first came to Johns methods I really wanted and asked John repeatedly to tell me EXACTLY what to do. He was always more than happy to talk to me (as we talked close to everyday when I started), but he always told me to experiment and find out for myself if something would work or not. And that's what I ended up doing.

Now I still ask John for advice quite often, but I am always trying to experiment and try new things that may work better than the last. And this is one thing I'm quite thankful for John teaching me. Now I'm not reliant on other people telling me what to do or try, but now I'm the one deciding if thing work well or not for me.

Anyway I just had to throw my little experience in there!

God bless and All the best my Friends.

---Nathan

Jesus Christ

Share |

12-22-2009, 09:19 PM

This is something I really appreciate about John's books as well, especially the emphasis on limb length leading to different needs and abilities, as I'm a 6'5" skinny man and have often had difficulty doing higher reps of calisthenics due to leverage and/or joint pain.

I think the specific set/rep approach appeals to beginners and can even be useful at times, as with G.U.T.S. or the upcoming book John is working on. Before one can reach a level of intuitive exercise, it can be helpful to have a few different ways of exercising to try out. But I've found the approach to personal development that is most empowering is when the emphasis is on figuring things out for yourself.

We should be wary within ourselves of the tendency to give up our ability to think for ourselves so easily, even when it is useful to get advice from experts in a field we don't yet know much about.

Last edited by duff; 12-22-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: clarity

Share |

12-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Great Post Joe,

John's Books are an unquestionable miracle...

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

Tags
motivation