Share |
Don't Let Success Stop You...

Author

12-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Hey Friends,

I value each and every one of you. Thank You for being my friends. But please don't let your success prevent you from participating with us. Here is an example of exactly what I mean. It's from a personal e-mail that I received.

Here it is: "Hey John, how are you? hope all is well.

I am sending you this PM in regards to a recent post on our form titled "JUST DO IT"..I couldnt agree more with what Greg said. After the release of GUTS, if you do not work out, the only one to blame is you!!

I am not sure if you have noticed, but in the past 7 weeks, the amount of things I post on this forum has gone down considerably, you know why? Its because GUTS has answered ALL my questions!!!.. I have no more excuses or questions left!!/U]

"Thanks again for GUTS!!"

Well Guys, your questions might be answered, but there may be others that need your help and your encouragement. Please participate. Nobody else has the unique insights that you have gained from your training. So please continue to participate with us.

---John peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-21-2009, 09:47 AM

Hi John,

I couldn't agree more! Recently Joe posted about the number of people we have here on the site.It was astounding! I really enjoy hearing everyone's perspective here. Everyone is different and has their own way of looking at Physical Culture and the world. It always interests me to hear.

Speak up all!

peace,
jason

Share |

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Hey Guys,

Share your experiences and little victories along the way. 10 reps or 100, if this is a first for you, you have friends who will encourage and applaud your efforts. This forum isn't about being the biggest and the baddest. This forum is about support and encouragement.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 12:56 PM

What follows is a story, a post I was going to title 'GUTS and the Transformation of 1 Man." I've decided to include it with this post as it has a lot of the same messages John has touched on with his original post as well as shares some things with Greg's response.

Like most people I've had a weight goal, and for almost 4 years this has been to be 154 lbs. It's a weight that has eluded me time and time again, but was something I knew was achievable. You see, I held this weight, actually 1-2lbs lighter, when I first came to Seattle, WA nearly 4 years ago.

At the time, I had been doing 500 pushups a day, and had lost about 22-24 lbs during the prior 5 months. My goal back then being 145. Well, once in Seattle I let things begin to slip. Partly because I had just used lots of exercise to take off the weight but didn't make lifestyle changes, or at least not enough. So I watched, at times seemingly helplessly, as my weight went fluctuated, usually ending up around 160lbs. I would do things to help take the weight of for a bit, then feeling successful, just let the weight slowly creep back on. At my heaviest I ended up at 186lbs. Well in September of 2008 I looked in the mirror.

Disgusted and disappointed with the man staring back at me I said enough and began to drop the weight. This time making changes in my lifestyle along the way that will help me stay on my chosen path. So, how does GUTS fit in to all this, after all it only came out a couple months ago.

Before GUTS came out I was again at about the 160 lb mark. I had been, and still am, eagerly awaiting the new Pushup book, and was thinking of things I could do to lose the last 6 lbs. GUTS was soon to be released, and after all the positive previews, I decided to take the plunge. What I found was an unexpected delight.

Not to go over my old reviews of it too much, I'll just say this. Not only is the GUTS book sleek, modern and effective, but I would dare to say it has an energy all its own. Something that is rarely felt from a book, and is easy to tap into and use when starting the program.

Well, after a month I did a write up and check in on my progress with GUTS and shortly after I had an opportunity to speak with John Peterson. We were talking about GUTS, and how to use it most effectively (filling the time vs building numbers w/o completing time) as well as what my aspirations were. I told John that I was happy because I had been getting much closer to the 154lbs mark then I had been in a long time, GUTS was getting me through those troublesome mid to high 150's. Then John said something. Something that one surface seemed very simple and conversational, but held a whole lot of meaning.

John said "Steve at 5'5" what would you think of being 145lbs?"

I honestly had a long pause on the phone at that moment as I hadn't even considered it. For so long I had just wanted to be back at 154, and hadn't been able to really visualize or dream about being any lighter. With his question though a seed was planted and a dream reignited. I began to look to a future I had first wished for while in my late teens. It also made me realize how much potential I still have left and how this wonderful this forum is as a place for me to continue sharing my work, progress and ultimately my success.

You see, the success I've had w/ GUTS had put me in a place where I was beginning to feel like I might be leaving the forum again. Just heading off to do my own thing. However as John points out the support, knowledge and the company of men and women that comprise this forum are all great reasons to stay. Please, don't leave the forum if you're having success, stay to share, give back and support our fellow members. Who knows one of the simple things you say may inspire one of our fellow members to new heights and or goals as John has once again done with me.

Stay tuned as I'll be giving a 2 month (hopefully brief) run down of my experiences, progress and weight shortly after the new year!

Oh - one more edit, greg showed me I forgot to put my name on it.

Steve

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Last edited by omad0n; 12-22-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-22-2009, 02:03 PM

Great, great story Steve! That is a testimonial worth saving!

Greg

Share |

Author

12-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Hey Steve,

I really enjoyed talking with you. And your post is totally inspiring. Thank You. As a rock-climber your strength/endurance to body weight ratio is critically important. And I have no doubt but that you will achieve your goals. thanks again.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Thank you for the kind words Greg and John. Yes strength to weight ratio is very important for a rock climber, and is something that I've been happy to see improve as I'm dropping more fat. I don't think I'll ever intentionally shoot for some of the goals that other climbers have of 10% body fat (I think that's the low end for healthy for a man) however if I stumble into it then I suppose that would be okay.

Right now I'm just taking it a step at a time, and 150 sounds like a pretty good goal for the middle of January. Then as a larger goal I'll be working to 145, which I'll be looking to hit by the end of March. Of course, if either happens sooner, I wouldn't be disappointed

Steve

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

Tags
forum, motivation