Share |
Information Overload Only Breeds Confusion

Author

01-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Hey Friends,

I received an e-mail from a young man that is living in a state of total confusion and frustration due to the fact that he has overwhelmed himself with too much information. This information overload ( much of which is total BS put out there in muscle magazines to sound pseudo-scientific) that I am speaking of has totally stifled his ability to work out because he is not sure "which end is up" and as a result he is constantly second guessing himself. Here is the deal. This young man came to the conclusion that he should aspire to achieving a certain series of arbitrary measurements. Measurements that I do not believe are possible to achieve naturally given his Somatotype while maintaining a slim muscular waistline. To gain the size that he is talking about naturally would also cause him to pack on a lot of ugly weight. Now get this, this young man is already a perfectly built man and has a physique that many would envy and give their 'eye teeth' to have but for some reason he is not satisfied with his development. Why is that the case? I don't have a clue.

So what could he do to achieve his goals of unnatural size and development? Simple. Take steroids just like all the bodybuilders in the magazines do to achieve their unnatural size and development. And friends, I truly hope that none of you is so naive so as to believe that any of those men and women in the bodybuilding magazines got that way naturally. Or that the current crop of Hollywood actors can look like Mr. America in 3 months without taking steroids because it aint gonna happen. same is true for a huge number of today's athletes. Bottom line: If you want an unnatural level of muscular development you'll have to do unnatural things to achieve it. You cannot get through exercise alone regardless of what method you follow. And that my friends is the truth straight up.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2010, 05:29 AM

John,

This brings to mind that remarkable man Woody Strode. As a teen he read somewhere about the Great Gama doing several thousand deep knee bends a day. Using that, he embarked on his own program of 1000 deep knee bends, pushups, and sit-ups. He didn’t waste time trying to rationalize what he was doing. He just did it and in the process built one of the most spectacular physiques ever to grace this planet. He literally dwarfed heavier and taller men. As well he became an Olympic caliber athlete, a professional football player and a professional wrestler.

Along the same lines a young Herschel Walker did much of the same. The only difference was, according to his biography, he did stay up at night pondering his workouts. He was trying to figure out how to do more pushups and sit-ups! But, his philosophy was simple. If he did more pushups, his upper body was stronger and he could run faster. If he did more sit-ups, this would allow him to run faster as well.

Training doesn’t have to be a worrisome venture. Figure out what you want to achieve. Set some realistic goals, figure out how to achieve it, and move on. As I related to John the other night, in December of 2007 I took a hard look in the mirror. Over the course of a year I had achieved some success and progress with the M-7 and with the Tiger squats and pushups, but it still wasn’t quite what I wanted. So, for almost two years various Atlas pushups and the Tee’s, as well as Atlas sit-ups have been the mainstay. I achieved a certain look I was after. Now using the Iso Power Belt and a few simple exercises, I am working on some other things and enhancing that look, as well as my athletic abilities.

I kept it simple, figured out what is going to take me where I am going, and like Woody Strode, I do it. A lot of things work for me and some things don’t. Some things work better than others. Choose what is going to give the most good in the simplest form and move ahead.

Most of all, when you choose a course of action, quit reading about working out on the internet, in magazines, and in books. You WILL get so much conflicting information YOU will have a hard time processing. That interrupts the faith that you are trying to develop in YOUR own program. Without faith in your actions, you can’t succeed. Your mind will not be in lock step with you DOING what you are trying to ACCOMPLISH.

I have read literally thousands of books and magazine articles on bodybuilding and strength training over the years. Now I limit my reading to John’s books and the few other authors that he recommends. Why do I do that? Am I brainwashed into some cult of personality surrounding John Peterson? I don’t think so. I like John a lot and we are good friends, but that is hardly the case. I make my own decisions. I know what I want to achieve and how to do it. I only want those resources that are going to dovetail with what and how I am trying to achieve success. Anything else would be a distraction. At 49, I don't intend to waste time on the nonessentials.

Last edited by Greg Newton; 01-13-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Share |

01-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Afternoon Greg,

i have a real feel for the guy John was talking to the other day. As a young man i to was trapped inside this idea of what a perfect body should look like according to the bodybuilding mags of the day. They were all far larger then anything that i could ever hope to achieve but the articles in all the mags kept pushing the myth that by employing a certain training regime and eating supplements and regular meals you to could be an Arnie. Of course non of this is true and it was all designed to feed a growing market in the body beautifull with all its money making potential.
The real damage this all did to me was to take my focus off of the idea of the perfect physique and health potential for myself and my own unique DNA structure and moved it onto some external model of what should be. In short, i was trying to become what someone else said i should look like.
This had the result of me being over critical of my own body shape as i continually compared it to that of the physical freeks seen in the mags. It meant i was not at peace with myself and therefore i could not appreciate and enjoy my own body. As a result i pushed my body beyond what i should have done and incurred severeral injuries which have taken a long time to repair.
My hope came when i discovered Transformetrics with its message that i should learn to listen to and trust my own body. Since embarking upon this training regime, or way of life, i have never looked back. i only wished that i had learnt this message many years ago and saved myself a lot of heartache.
Barry.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Well spoken gentlemen!

Jan

Share |

01-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Great post Mr. Peterson...and Greg, you always make things simpler and easier for everyone here.
my goal is to lose around 30 pounds...I am following John's nutritional guidelines and my daily routine consists only of G.U.T.S. I have switched off from all the mainstream media and fitness websites.....I am only reading John's books and reading posts on this forum....I am Happy and I am getting results!

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

01-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Greg wrote:
Quote:
Most of all, when you choose a course of action, quit reading about working out on the internet, in magazines, and in books.
I agree, and we are left with a conundrum we can only laugh at. Just think, if we did one pushup for every word we type or read . . . .

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Tom, I think you missed Greg's point entirely. Look at that sentence in context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
Most of all, when you choose a course of action, quit reading about working out on the internet, in magazines, and in books. You WILL get so much conflicting information YOU will have a hard time processing. That interrupts the faith that you are trying to develop in YOUR own program. Without faith in your actions, you can’t succeed. Your mind will not be in lock step with you DOING what you are trying to ACCOMPLISH.
Greg's saying, "Have faith in yourself." He's not saying, "Stay away from this message board."

There seems to be a little pattern I've noticed as of late with a few people believing that sharing their experiances is a waste of time. Someone recently said something to the effect of, "I've learned all I can, so I'm going never coming back here again."

I think that really misses the whole purpose of this message board. I can't speak for others; I know what kind of a swamp the rest of the internet is. But this forum is about positive affirmation and sharing your experiences with others. If you've learned all there is to learn, then it's time to start helping those who don't have it all figured out yet. I'd bet you that as soon as you start answering other's questions you'll realize you don't quite know it all.

-Joe

Share |

01-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Just do it!

Share |

01-14-2010, 03:05 AM

As a longtime sufferer of analysis paralysis, I can certainly relate. The more information one consumes, often the bigger the vision one fantasizes about until something breaks and you just try something. And lo and behold, reality gives you feedback and all your plans go out the window anyway.

Share |

Author

01-14-2010, 09:51 AM

You Nailed It Duff. Paralysis due to over analysis is very real and it often locks people into a state of limbo where nothing happens.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
motivation