Share |
Self improvement or self hatred Do you have the right motivation?

08-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Many people take up bodybuilding because they think it will solve all of their problems - psychological as well as physical and it won't. We don't have to look any farther than the Wilie Coyotes to see that this is true.

Share |

Author

08-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Hey Friends,

I have enjoyed reading the responses on this thread. Some wonderful insights and comments are being shared by one and all. But there is one thing specifically that I would like to address that I believe would be most helpful and beneficial to each of you in your personal lives. Something that I believe is very important and very much in line with what Joe has stated.

It's this. DON'T BE AFRAID TO BANISH NEGATIVE, MEAN SPIRITED AND EVIL PEOPLE FROM YOUR LIVES.

Let me explain. We now have a thriving and growing community of really first rate and wonderful people that participate on this forum on a daily basis. THIS IS NO ACCIDENT FRIENDS. It has taken the diligent efforts of Joe, Greg, Gordon and myself to get rid of all the negative and rotten people that do not belong here. We never let our guard down because these kinds people are reprobates. They are like a cancer that we don't want any part of. Believe me, they have nothing positive to offer to anyone and in fact are like scavengers in the wild that feast off of carrion and squalor. All these troglodyte types do is to try and drag everyone else down into the same sewer that they are in. They literally want everyone else to be as miserable and as unfortunate as they are not realizing that they are the source of their own misfortune.

So here's the deal straight up. If you, and I mean each of you individually truly want to succeed in your life to the best possible level you M-U-S-T eliminate every unwholesome, negative, and destructive person from your life. If you don't they will drag you down and you will in no way help or elevate them. Why am I saying that? Because in their twisted and deviant minds they actually think the only way that they can be elevated is by debasing other people. So take my word for this, you will never succeed to the extent that you can and experience the wonderful things that you could experience unless you get rid of every unwholesome influence in your life and that means rotten people too.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Wow, Joe, very insightful

Look at the level of body dysmorphia in many bodybuilders. No matter how big they get, they think they are small. Or, in the case of those who dont watch their diets and just want to get big and strong, they end up being fat. I know, I was one of them. I was big, strong and fat. And overtrained. I would use anger to move big weights, and not care that my body was telling me that it injured my joints or that I needed to lower the intensity for awhile

For myself, I had to learn a new attitude about training, and I am still working on that. 35 pounds lighter now, I train hard some days, not so hard others. When I find myself judging others on their physical appearence, I try to remind myself that one, we are all equal in Gods eyes (I dont think God loves Ronnie Coleman more than he does an obese person) and that how someone else looks is none of my business and if I judge them, the problem is mine, not theirs. It is fine to have preferences, I prefer to be in better shape and to to weigh less, but it in now way makes me superior to someone who doesnt

This is an issue that goes beyond body image. Look at the many teenage girls who starve themselves to look like the airbrushed pictures of models on fashion magazines. Think of religious zealots who, instead of sharing the good news of what they have found, beat others over the head with threats of hell and condemnation, or even killing them (in the case of some Muslims).

I think Andy62 got it right with his observation about inward directed vs outward directed

Share |

Legacy Member

08-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Greg, I think I know who you're talking about. Fact is, if a guy that weighs 400lbs wants to call me "Jello Joe" he's probably projecting to say the least. At least a guy like that can be a fitness expert behind his avatar and screen name.

-Joe
Well,

I guess I was being a little facetious. I didn't have anyone particular in mind, but I could probably name a few people who fit that bill. On the internet you can be and do anything. You can hide behind an alias, you can hide behind an avatar, you can project yourself as an internet badass, and you can hide behind maniacal, cutting behavior.

Or, you can just be a hanger-on or follower to the "woo - woo, this person is so bad, they're this, they're that and they're the other. They're doing something with their lives, so I am going to hate and despise them because I'm not, or because I'm afraid of being talked about. Woo, woo, woo, oh what a sissy boy I really am."

It is pretty pathetic. You can hide that attitude behind an air of sophistication, intellect, or sophomoric humor, but it is still pathetic. When you and I first became friends one of the first things that you told me was that you appreciated REAL people who are who they are 24/7.

Greg Newton

Share |

Banned

08-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Joe very interesting thesis and idea's and very reality oritented. Guys a great thread by all. Love and hate, and the inner man.

Share |

08-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Coincidentally (or not), I came across this quote today. It seems to fit well with the idea expressed in this thread of banishing negative, mean-spirited and evil people from your life.

‎"Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks." --Warren Buffett

Paul

Share |

Send a message via Yahoo to talos1975 Send a message via Skype™ to talos1975

08-14-2010, 03:33 PM

The whole area of self image comes up frequently in the UK Government policy, and the latest move to encourage people to alter their self image if they are very overweight is to instruct doctors to change the terminology they use. It seems (I have no idea if this is credible) that telling people they are obese gives them an excuse to do nothing about it, that they leave the doctors with an attitude of 'Oh well, I have a condition that isn't really my fault, and there's not much I can do about it'.

Therefore doctors are being told not to use the term 'obese' and to say in its place 'you're fat.' As I say, I have no idea whether this 'policy' is based on anything solid, but it sounds a bit desperate to me.

blessings,

Graham

Share |

08-14-2010, 04:31 PM

Elmer Green Ph.D and Alyce Green M.A, were two of the lead scientists in the research on the yogis at the Menninger Clinic. In the book which they co-authored "Beyond Biofeedback", which documents the results of those experiments , there is a great quote: "It seems to us that an important element in the effectiveness of any system for brinigng about physiological change is a change in the self-image."

Share |

Tags
joe justice