Share |
How to build up to a back bend

Legacy Member

12-23-2009, 10:14 AM

I my latest, world famous and record breaking episode of Certified He-Man, I did a back bend into a gymnastics bridge. While I don't want to pat myself on the back, this is no mean feat for a guy like me. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. My gymnastics coaches have told me I'm the biggest guy they've seen able to do a back bend. So naturally I've gotten some questions on how I built up to doing a back bend.

First off, WARNING (AGAIN), bridging is advanced and a back bend is SUPER ADVANCED! So don't go outside of your comfort zone with it. Start with a wall walk and if you can't do a full range walk walk don't even begin to think about doing a back bend! Make sure you do watch the video to see all of my bridging instruction in context.

http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...ead.php?t=3829

Now with that out of the way, building up to a back bend is actually pretty straight forward. Odds are if you can do 5 Wall Walks you have the strength and flexibility to do a back bend. The problem is a lack of confidence. So here's what you do; do a wall walk with you legs spread slightly, but instead of walking all the way down, drop down once you get a few inches from the ground. Once you are comfortable with a few inches, then gradually increase your distance. Eventually you'll do two drops, one to drop back onto the wall, and the next to drop from the wall to the ground.

Something I can't emphasize enough with this kind of training is to keep your eyes open and follow you hands with your eyes. Make that a conscious effort. Don't flinch, don't close your eyes.

Be sure you're far enough from the wall to be able to land in a bridge. It's best to do a full bridge with your hands six inches of so from the wall and then standing up while leaving your feet in pace. This is the starting position for your wall walk.

Eventually you'll build up the strength, flexibility, coordination and confidence to be able to pull off this move. Good luck!

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

12-23-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info Joe!! I will definitely be working on this one!

Jesus Christ

Share |

12-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks. Good instructions. Nice of you to take care of us old folks.

I got down to a few inches from the floor on the wall, decided I better bail, and dropped about a foot. It's funny how the distance changed. I have no problem keeping my eyes open and not flinching, but what about the screaming as I drop?

Tom

Share |

Author

12-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Great instruction Joe! I recommended Wall Walking with a Bridge Push-Up in PYTP and once again in Hard As Nails. It's one of the best exercises for maintaining a supple, youthful spine for life.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-23-2009, 10:21 PM

I really have some reservations about getting too much into things like a back bend. A Wall Walk with a Bridge Push-Up is safe and effective and you can easily do it at your own pace. A back bend is a fairly advanced stunt, I would hate for anyone to injure themselves trying to go too far too soon. I had a little reluctance with doing the bridging exercise video as well because I don't want anyone to hurt themselves.

Fact is, for general fitness and health, this kind of stuff just isn't necessary, but it's fun to be able to do.

-Joe

Share |

12-24-2009, 12:45 AM

Great information, Joe. Thanks!

Share |

12-24-2009, 01:39 AM

Something to consider, but I vote for adding the advanced skill also. At some point people have to figure it out for themselves, there is much worse out there and, well, I like it.

Tom

Share |

12-24-2009, 04:06 AM

Your video inspired me to do more gymnastic bridging and to hold the bridge for longer. I used to be able to do wall walks, but I'm not going to push it right now and try any stunts. Someday I may be able to do that back bend though--looks fun!

Share |

12-24-2009, 06:57 AM

Great instructional video Joe....although the "voice" wasn't very friendly

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

Tags
back bend, bridging, gynmastics, joe justice