Share |
Isometrics and hockey

09-12-2009, 05:21 PM

I came across an interesting interview with Pete Friesen, the strength coach for the Carolina Huricanes of the NHL. It seems a significant part of his programming involves isometrics. He uses them for strength and hypertrophy and to overcome compensation patterns. BTW, three of my favorite exercises are now the deadlift, curl, and press with a 30in. piece of PVC through my Isometric Power Belt.

Share |

09-12-2009, 07:56 PM

I can't think of any sport where strong tendons, ligaments, and joints would be more important than in hockey and there is no better way to develop them than isometrics.

Share |

09-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Hans
Be careful with PVC or ABS pipe; steel pipe is much safer esp. with "power moves" like squats & deadlifts. Also rather than standing directly on your webbing belt, place a board over the belt; when performing "power moves" while standing directly on the webbing, there's unnecessary foot discomfort.

Last edited by gruntbrain; 09-13-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Share |

09-13-2009, 10:12 AM

It was the most recent podcast on strengthcoachpodcast.com Let me see what I can do about a link or provide the ppt attachment.

Share |

09-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Gruntbrain,

Thank you for the advice. The PVC did seem to be bending a bit and the foot discomfort was something I was wondering about.

Share |

09-13-2009, 10:24 AM

Hans
If you train in the great outdoors then trees, chain link fences, playground equipment, .. can be used with or without your webbing & pipe. I even place my belt around a cement bench that I stand on to perform deadlifts & squats .

Share |

09-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Gruntbrain,

Again, thanks! I don't use my imagination enough in this area. I like this for the fall weather.

Share |

Banned

09-13-2009, 07:41 PM

More often we are seeing sports training incorporating these techniques and getting away from bodybuilding weigtlifting type training.

Share |

09-13-2009, 10:32 PM

If any one wants to listen to the interview, it is on the website and its episode #43. It is the 2nd half of the podcast so you might want to fast forward it.

Pretty interesting stuff, I can see how this might sound real complicated to someone who has not studied any of John's books, but we all know how simple isometrics can be.....not easy though lol.

Share |

09-14-2009, 06:00 PM

Hans
During winter anchor your Power Belt in a closed doorway; get a short length of webbing & create a loop by making a knot - the knot will anchor the small loop in the CLOSED doorway & the small loop will anchor your Power Belt

Share |

Tags
hockey, isometric power belt, isometrics