Share |
Rare Article on Bodyweight Squats

12-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Here's an old article I never read before...

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/12...ance-paul.html

Share |

12-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks Wackybaby, good article. I'm curious regarding how long most folks wait between sets of squats? When I do a higher number my legs feel jello-like afterwards and I feel I need to wait a while before doing any more. I do like how he says to work up to sets of 50. Do many think this number is a good number to target if you are going to do high volume (500-600) in one day?

Anyway, thanks.

Share |

12-09-2009, 12:53 AM

I used to do them in one set of 200 daily for about two years. I didn't miss more than a couple of days the whole two years. I don't remember considering breaking them into smaller sets. It was during the Furey era and only hundreds were talked about, I think 500. 200 was all I could handle, taking into account the pure boredom of it. Not that 200 was easy, but boooooriinnnng.

Maybe I'll start again with sets of 50 - might be less boring - but in some multiple of 4 . . . 40? 60? One trick that really worked for me was to count in fours:1234,2234,3234,4234,5234, etc. That way I only had to do 50 instead of 200. It was a mind game that worked for me.

Tom

Share |

12-09-2009, 04:53 AM

I find high rep sets boring too. But to get to 200 reps you could also just do e.g:
50 furey squats IMMEDIATELY followed by
50 sissy squats IMMEDIATELY followed by
50 FS IMMEDIATELY followed by
50 SS

Or just any other cycle of different squat versions withtout any break inbetween. That has the advantage of working different angles too. Probably a disadvantagee is that it tires the muscles slower as the variations don't use quite the same muscles...

Share |

Banned

12-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Good article Wackybaby! I didn't know that Atlas did 600 squats a day, I know he recommended 100 squats a day as part the Perpetual Lesson.

Gama and 4000 squats a day! Wow that would be boring, great condition but boring.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-09-2009, 09:01 AM

I went through a period of doing 500 squats in a row every other day for a long time.

This is probably why the squats in G.U.T.S for me is no problem.What I found in that time period(and yet again with G.U.T.S)is superior leg strength and also very athletic legs,My Martial Practice was better and also I work in a High School .The boys love to test the old man at times so we play basketball sometimes.I find I can keep up with them,and play well(though I never played basketball in school-anytime someone has a ball I want to tackle them! lol).

To concentrate on G.U.T.S you will find superior leg strength and overall strength.Combining the step-up on alternating days is a great practice.It will be interesting to see Hard As Nails as I have a hunch it will complement G.U.T.S very well.

peace,
json

Share |

12-09-2009, 09:21 AM

In regards to Gama, John pointed out somewhere recently that if you look at the numbers even an impossible, breakneck pace of 1 squat/second would put the total time at 66 minutes. I, too, wonder at the range of motion. And the numbers.

Possible ballooning legends aside, it is a great exercise.

Tom

Last edited by tom; 12-09-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Too many comas

Share |