Share |
A little editting please!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Legacy Member

12-12-2009, 09:23 AM

Hey Guys,

We have some fantastic writers on this forum. But, I want to chicken choke your grade school and high school English teachers for how they taught some of you to use punctuation and to spell, or to be better put, how they didn't teach you! Don't feel out there. I used to have to review police reports and we have a whole generation who were taught to spell phonetically. Occassionally I will edit a superb post to make it more readable. However, I would prefer to not have to edit. Here are some tips:

1. Break your sentences into clumps of no more than three or four sentences. I realize this might not dovetail with commonly taught paragraph construction, but this makes your points easier to read in an internet forum format.

2. After punctuation such as commas, semi colons etc. leave a space. After the period at the end of sentences, leave two spaces.

3. Take the time to write your post, especially if it is a lengthy post, in Microsoft Word or another word processing format that has a spell and grammar check. Then cut and paste to put into your forum reply or thread.

Please don't be offended if I edit something you've written. That means it is quite good in the things you are expressing. I have to do it for my wife when she posts and she likes me to check behind her. I also did it for my daughter in college the one time she posted, and she had a cow when she found out I editted her post! I hate it for her. They aren't teaching her in college what they should have taught her in high school!

Share |

Tags
forum, information