Share |
Johns 360 pull up programme.

Banned

01-04-2010, 02:53 PM

This was mentioned in a post and intrigued me.Are there any links or details.Thanks.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Man, I don't know where that original thread is, but here's a thread discussing the program. I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...ead.php?t=2228

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Several years ago after I had rehabbed my shoulder I went on an intensive multi variation Pyramid Pull-Up Program to send my numbers through the stratosphere (At least for me). I had three different Pyramids that I trained each week. Two days (Monday and Thursday) I trained from 30 percent of my peak up to 60 percent and then back down with six variations. Next, (Tuesdays and Fridays) from 40% to 70% with four variations. And on Wednesdays from 50 % to 80% with three variations.

To get an idea of what it looked like, lets say for instance that 20reps is our max for one perfectly executed set. Our pyramid would look like this 6+8+10+12+10+8+6=60 on our six variation super high volume training day for a total of 360 reps(believe me that's a killer). And like this 8+10+12+14+12+10+8 = 74 on day two times four variations=296reps. Then on day three we would be at 10+12+14+16+14+12+10=88reps times three variations=264 total reps. I did this five days each week to build my total volume.

After performing this for several months I switched to 5 sets 25 and from there it has grown still further. Believe me Pyramid training is the ultimate way increase reps, volume, and dynamic strength.

As far as Pull-Ups go, I have met very few men that weigh over two hundred pounds that can perform more than 8 to 12 reps in good form.In every case these have been very strong, very well conditioned men. 20 is in the realm of dreams for most men over 200 pounds. Especially those with long arms and poor leverage.

---John Peterson
-Joe

Share |

01-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Sometimes I save stuff. This is a little snippet from the old board before it got nuked...

Quote:
IsoTim,
Thanks for getting back to me so quick John; I was wondering if you have any recommendations on reps?

I am under the impression there are 3 types of strength, endurance, maximal, and explosive. Will I still gain some size if I focus primarily on endurance and explosive calisthenics while doing Isometrics and flexes?

Thanks again

John Peterson
Hey Tim,

All one can do is experiment in order to discover the correct level that delivers the desired results. No doubt it could be different for every individual. Take my case for example.
Twice each week I perform the following six variations of Pull-Up/Chin-Up combinations.

1) Behind Neck Wide Grip
2) Standard Wide Grip
3) Standard grip
4) Close Grip pull-Up (index fingers and thumbs touching as hands wrap the bar)
5) Close Grip Chin-Up (pinkies and outer blade of hands touching) and finally-
6) Commando Cross Grip.

Each of the above is performed in pyramid sets 6-8-10-12-10-8-6- for a total of 60 reps of each variation or 360 reps total in less than 1 hour.
This works exceedingly well for my upper body development.

I discovered this completely on my own and I know of no one else who performs this exact workout. Bottom line: I practice what I preach. I discovered my own best chinning workout. I recommend that you too take the initiative to discover your own best prescription. Good luck my friend. Please let me know what you discover.
---John Peterson

Share |

01-06-2010, 09:06 PM

There was this great routine John gave for the beginner also...

Quote:
Blowfish

How to improve on pull-ups?
August 06, 2007, 04:24:52 AM

Hi everybody,

I already searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to my problem:

After 3 years of weight training I switched to bodyweight-exercises a couple of month ago. I picked two exercises for every muscle-group from PYTP and do a "split"-training ever since as follows:

Day 1: Abs, chest, biceps/triceps, neck
Day 2: Abs, back, legs, shoulders

I train every day, switching these programs day by day, Sunday I take a day off from training and do some moderate running, if I feel to and weather is fine.

While I could improve on most of the exercises and "feel/see" the results (from 13 to 28 Hindu push ups in a row e.g.), I'm getting desperate on (standard) pull-ups! I'm doing 3 sets and can only do 8/4/4 repetitions (with my chin over the bar).

I tried negative pull-ups for a while - with no effect.

I tried close grip pull ups - with no chance to do more than three...

I would describe my physique as "ectomorph" (1,83m / 6 foot and 76 kg / 167 lbs).

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me some advise (special exercises / training plans etc.), how to develop more strength in my back and arm muscles etc., in order to "succeed" in pull ups?! Or do I maybe have reached my limits in this exercise already... (Hope not!!!) ?

Thanks in advance!

John Peterson BB
AuthorElite Member
Re: How to improve on pull-ups?
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:20:24 PM

Hey BlowFish,

Delighted you're here. Please use the following workout twice each week.
It is comprised of Five Pull-Up/Chin-Up Variations.
The include:

1) Wide Grip Pull-Up,
2) Standard Grip Pull-Up
3) Close Grip Pull-Up
4) Close Grip Chin-Up
5) Commando Cross Grip

Phase One) During the first 5-week break in period you will perform each exercise in a 1-2-3-2-1 pyramid sequence. Breathe deeply between reps and perform the next set as soon as you feel you are able. (Throw away your stopwatch, I want you to develop your mind/muscle connection to know when you are ready for your next set and that won't happen if you're following a stopwatch as though somebody has a gun to your head) As is obvious, you will be performing 5 Pyramid sets of 9 reps each for a total of 45 reps.

Phase Two) During the second 5-week training period we bump it up a notch and perform each exercise 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 for a total of 16 reps per pyramid set X 5 variations and a total of 80 repetitions. Naturally if you feel that you can perform pyramids 1 to 5 and back down you are welcome to do so.

Phase Three) By this time you will have created multi-angle Pull-Up and Chin-Up strength and the synergy of the five variations will have strengthened and sculpted your grip, forearms, biceps, lats, and all synergistic muscles of the upper back, chest, and shoulders used in pulling.
In fact, one exercise that is not a Pull-Up that will dramatically enhance your Pulling strength is the Full Range Hanging Leg Raise. Use the same Pyramid sequence.

Bottom line: After 10 weeks of Pyramid Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups you won't need further advice from anyone. You'll be able to give it.

---John Peterson

Blowfish
Newb

Thank you John - and thanks to all of you - for your advice and encouragement!

I'll start today with the pyramid training as you, John, described it. It sounds straightforward and "fool-proof" - I can't wait to start off with this new routine. On the days in between, I'll add some DVR's (in moderate volume) for my weakest muscle parts, as you, Osiris, suggested.

John, by the way: I received your book, "Isometric Power Revolution", yesterday and spend hours reading through the night...! Even the "historic" part is so interesting and - even more - motivating, that it's an extraordinary lecture. Moreover, the writing style is enjoyable (even for me as a non-native speaker).

I'll report about my progress occasionally. Thanks again so far!

Last edited by Scott Silva; 01-06-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spilelng

Share |

Tags
pull-ups