Share |
Weak Tendons and Ligaments.......No more!

11-29-2009, 02:11 PM

As many of you know from my post i tore my ACL a little over a year ago.Anyone that has had a similar injury will tell you that there pretty bad!It typically takes 6 months to rehab these.I came along pretty quickly because i trained very hard wanting to get back to competition.The rehab people would always laugh and joke saying that i was the only one they saw who would actually be sweating after a training session.I would hop on the bike they use for warmups and would petal like a speed demon trying to rev up the RPM as high as i could go.Then i would be looking around and id see people riding there machines at a leisurely pace while reading a magazine,then when they would be doing there cals and other strength exercises they would complain the whole time and have to be prompted by the trainers just to complete there sets.In my mind im thinking what the hell! I mean this is training for the recovery of there own body and they cant muster up the will to put forth effort.Honestly i dont even know what to say to that!

Sorry i went off on a tangent.Now back to the point of this post.Despite the hard work i put in my knee still felt "loose".In addition to the work i put in at rehab i was doing M7 and once i had some months under me i started adding in pushups again.After months went by and i was cleared from rehab i started doing alot of other things such as Ts PU running and more intense MMA workouts.My knee felt alright but still if i had to put a number on it i would say that the strength of my tendons and ligaments felt about 85%.It wasnt until the last couple months when i started adding in Isos that it started feeling not just 100% but 110%.The main ones that i think have helped are the deadlift and hamstring curl which i do by laying on my back and squeezing my legs into a stair or another obviously(since its isometrics)immovable object.It wasn't until just the past few days that i realized that my knee is feeling pretty darn good.

Thanks again John for writing an exellent book on one of the best but highly UNDER UTILIZED forms of exercises ISOMETRICS.

Share |

11-29-2009, 02:47 PM

The effectiveness of Isometrics is the best kept secret in the field of physical training. When Bob Hoffman combined isometrics with steroids critics of isometrics immediately gave all of the credit for the improvement in strength to steroids and totally discounted the contribution of isometrics. That really played into the motivations of the equipment manufacturers who didn't like isometrics because they didn't require expensive equipment. When Alexander Zass came out with his original isometrics course one of the major benefits that he emphasized was the strengthening of the tendons and ligaments.

Share |

Banned

11-29-2009, 03:14 PM

BK Isometrics rock in all forms! I am with you and Gordon on this one.

Share |

Author

11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Hey Black Knight,

Great post. Isometric Contraction is the master method of building the body from the inside out. No method strengthens ligaments and tendons or stabilizes the joints as does Isometric Contraction. It is the most protective form of exercise known to man. Our friend Gordon nailed it when he said that the Equipment manufacturers have done all they can to bury the effectiveness of Isometrics. But it's posts like this, made by a REAL MAN in the real world that has experienced REAL BENEFIT that keep Isometrics alive. Great post Black Knight I'm glad that you have experienced the effectiveness of Isometrics first hand and have experienced their healing benefits. Bottom Line. Isometrics should be a part of every man's training every day. Just six contractions cycling through the entire body weekly are all that is necessary unless Isometric Contraction is you sole method of training. In that case 15 to 20 minutes each day is ll that is necessary to achieve astounding results.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

01-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Bert,

It is obvious that you have not read IPR. If you had you would know the answers to your questions. Isometrics do not incorporate repetitive motions but are performed at fixed angles and will literally stabilize joints, tendons, and ligaments while building strength and sculpting the musculature. They cannot be compared to any form of exercise that incorporates full range movement. For this reason Isometrics are vastly superior to every other form of exercise in strengthening tendons, ligaments and stabilizing joints.

One other thing, since you are only 24 and have joint problems of this magnitude, I would suggest that you begin taking a good chelated mineral complex each and every day because you are obviously deficient in dietary minerals.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-07-2010, 11:09 AM

Hey Bert, you can get IPR here:

Isometric Power Revolution

You can also get it bundled with the Isometric Power Belt.

-Joe

Share |

Banned

01-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Isometrics rock, BK and guys great thread.

Share |

01-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Alexander Zass, The father of Modern Isometrics, in his original isometrics course stressed the importance of ligaments and tendons in developing strength along with the importance of isometrics in developing the ligaments and tendons.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

01-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Isometrics are the key to super strong tendons and ligaments. Not only are they great for recovery but have helped me in my feats. In the world of strength feats the prerequisite is strong tendons and ligaments, muscles come second depending on the feats you perform but that is a must. One way or another isometrics gives you power unlike anything else. When doing a bend or a rip an isometric contraction starts first and those tendons will be a factor of how strong you are. Zass, Atom, Slim, D. Rogers & others all have used isometrics to strengthen the tendons and look where it got them, at the pinnacle of strength success in the feats they perform. Whether you're a strongman, average joe or working class man/woman Isometrics will help you strengthen you for the tasks you need to do. Takes tons of practice but the rewards will come. They have for me so let them work for you. I believe Isometrics are the most difficult to master and whether you hold em for 6 seconds or 1 hour it takes great inner power. For most people they can do a push-up or a squat and liitle can do a pull-up but holding a certain position takes you far beyond what you may be capable of. Anybody who believes Isometrics don't do anything for ya heres a challenge if you're up for it. Not in one session but something to try out.

3 min. Wall Chair

2 min. Handstand (with or without the wall)

3 min. Tablemaker

5 min. Horsestance

10 min. Bridge

2 min. Hang from pull-up bar

Oh I almost forgot its a personal favorite

5 min. Fingers interlocked arms overhead while in horsestance

Isometrics build super human power power period.

Share |

01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Any time a discussion of tendon and ligament strength comes up I immediately think of Thomas Topham
[1702-1749] the strongman of Islington. Topham was a complete natural who never trained to develop his strength, yet in his youth could jump a 4 foot fence while carrying his girl friend. His feats of strength were documented by a Dr.Desaguliers. At a height of 5' 10" Topham weighed 195 pounds.
Topham feats included bending thick pokers by striking them against his forearm and being able to lift 224 lbs. overhead easily with just his little fingers. His most famous act of strength occurred on May 28th 1741 when Topham lifted 3 barrels filled with water weighing 1386 lbs. He died early due to a suicide that was motivated by a very unfaithful wife. During his autopsy they discovered that Topham had tendons and ligaments that were much larger than the average individual.

Share |

Tags
isometrics