Share |
Tiger Bend Squats and running

03-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Tom,

I tried this counting thing tonight since I've had trouble lately staying focused while squating. Well, let me say right now--it works. 140 felt like 70, it was great.

Thanks for the tip,

Robert

Share |

03-30-2010, 06:28 AM

look out could there be a transformetrics counting system in the works. humm.

Share |

03-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Hello everyone

I think john answered this in his response but i just want to clarify because I have been wondering about this. When doing tiger bend squats if you are doing them correctly meaning slow and controlled about how many should you be able to get in one minute. I know there probably is no universal answer but I just want to make sure I am on the right track and get the full benefits.
thanks
Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Joe,

Thanks for the great advice on the sets, Iím going to integrate the set principal into my TBS routine, however, I think for the first couple of weeks I will slowly add them in perhaps the Step-Ups for xx minutes and then TBS for XX minutes and several variations. All of which I will document and keep track of.
This way I will have the chance to slowly build up the tendon strength in my knees as well as acclimate my body to intense TBS routines rather than risk any injury.

Concerning the Running Injuries:
I think itís worthy to address your running injuries, simply because they are quite common and while TBS and Step-Ups are incredibly helpful in prevention as well as rehabilitation something else that was not mentioned here which is really worth stating concerning running injuries. Not the treatment or rehab of them but really the major reason they happen.

I donít remember which book it was PYTP, ISO etc.. But John stated something about lifting weights in that it is a skill. Lifting weights is more than just being strong. The same goes for running; running is a skill in itself. Sure we all have legs and we can all walk so we assume ok so all I have to do is just run, right? Sadly itís not the case.

I came across a system of running that emphases safe running by teaching the proper and safe way to run which exposes why people get shin splints, why people run slowly, and teaches the efficient way to run. The method is called the pose method. Anyone interested in learning how to implement should check it out for themselves

In a nutshell, most people are heel strikers, which is the common way running is taught. As a matter of fact the entire industry is geared for these folks, i.e. thick heels on your running shoes to absorb the impact and shock while you crash all your weight down on your heel. (really think about that, would you even think about running like that in your bare feet on the concrete). After you crash all your weight down on your heel, then you have to weigh until your center of gravity passes over it then you push all your weight with one leg off the ground and crash your weight down on the other heelÖ ad nauseam. (overly simplified but you get the idea)

The pose method is designed to use the natural springing mechanisms we have in our body to absorb the shock. Simple stated in the pose method you do not push your weight off or land on your heel. You use the balls of your feet, fall forward and lift your feet. Thatís overly simplified.. in any case.. itís worth a look at, it totally changed my run, dropped my fitness test times dramatically, and made it much easier for me to run.

http://www.posetech.com/pose_method/...technique.html

Joe/John,

I'm not sure if I'm violating any board rules by promoting something here.. if I am send me a quick note and I'll strip this out of the post.... I just thought it was notewworthy information to pass along..

Share |

03-30-2010, 12:46 PM

G-flat-minor JJ, you're right about running being a skill. As a longtime soccer player I used to know how and now I'm learning again. A couple of years ago when I tried to run across an intersection in a big city it hit me that I no longer could. I started trying to analyze what I needed to do. Taking off and pulling something wasn't the answer - tried it too many times.

I looked into Pose running and found it to work very well. However, with my ability to not concentrate and focus, it was hard to maintain. Then I realized that dribbling a soccer ball forced me to run in that fashion, no heel running, weight in front, that forward falling feeling/posture. So, like a puppy, I do better chasing a ball around on the grass.

It seems to be getting me back into being able to run across an intersection and looking good while doing it (very important - especially for 54 year old men).

Thanks for bringing the Pose thing back up.

Tom

Share |

03-31-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
Hello everyone

I think john answered this in his response but i just want to clarify because I have been wondering about this. When doing tiger bend squats if you are doing them correctly meaning slow and controlled about how many should you be able to get in one minute. I know there probably is no universal answer but I just want to make sure I am on the right track and get the full benefits.
thanks
Rob
Rob
John said that doing them faster than 20-25 reps per minute would not necessarily be beneficial and potentially could cause harm if your muscle control and form slips.

I guess I've been doing them too fast myself. I had been treating it as a quick down-up movement, while it should be smooth and slow.

So for the GUTS routine 20/minute would put you at 240. 25/min would be the full 300. The idea being not just to shoot for 300, but 300 reps at a slow focused pace. Save the fast and furious stuff for the power step.

Like you said there is never a universal answer, so 30/min may be ok for some people if they can maintain strict form and muscle control.

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

03-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Hey guys,

The Pose method and others have been discussed hear before.
Been running for 40+ years competitvely and be careful with Pose. The info is good but the injuries are high.

The problem with forefoot running is the jury is still out wether this is best for everyone. When I see guys like this promoting one way of doing things, i questions their intent.

One size does not fit all so to speak.

I work on a mid foot strike which is easier to handle and is easier on the lower leg.

The reason many Africans can run like this is due to being raised bearfoot.

Many that run pose are not efficeint so be careful with this style of running, their is a lot of hype with this.

I coach high school runners(22 years) and my top girl runs midfoot, she is a freshman running 5:07 for a mile. My top guy is a heal striker and runs 4:24 miler. I could go on and on about different styles.

Granted we always work on form and heavy heal strikers and heavy toe runners need to be corrected.
The pose runners usually have ton of planter facsia and achilles issues, the overstriding heal striker usually has knee issues.
When I have a fast kid, and their form may be off a little, I really don't mess with is too much.
If it ain't broke don't fix it so to speak.
Just my two cents.

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

03-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
The reason many Africans can run like this is due to being raised bearfoot.
I've thought about this a lot. I have to imagine that living barefoot in the formative years vs. taking it up when you're bone and muscular system is fully developed is going to make a big difference. You can correct weak spots to a certain extent but you could never have the same advantage as someone who was raised barefoot.

-Joe

Share |

Tags
g.u.t.s., running