Share |
The daunting road down G.U.T.S. avenue

10-20-2010, 08:27 AM

Hi guys,

I'm Eli. Last Sunday I was inspired by a ton of posts of Tim Allen. I was truly impressed with his accomplishments. Really, that's one guy I don't want any beef with! ;-) He did things I can only dream of, but his journey inspired me.

Anyway, it got me thinking that I should publish my G.U.T.S. schedules as well. Why? Well, to be honest, I've been practicing karate for a couple of years now and I can't preform 10 consecutive push-ups! And I need to up my game...seriously!

When I read Tim Allen's post, I couldn't help but notice the fact that he was already able to perform 30 push-ups in week 1. Well, I can't! My arms are sore after seven of them!

In the past, when I saw something like this I would instantaneously give up after a couple of tries! And I'm guessing I'm not the only one out there. When writing this post, I was already up to 16 push-ups, so don't give up, guys!

What's my goal? The same as everyone else's here, getting to the elite level and motivating everyone else not to give up! but it's going to take time and lots of work...and probably some pain as well

Cheers,
Eli

Share |

10-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Hi guys,

I'm back logged a couple of weeks(3 actually ), but I'll do a couple of posts to solve this problem. You'll notice really quick that I'm not the really a hard core martial artist...but I push trough!

Week 1...how is this going to pan out, Well, not that good actually. I gave up after 2 days of incomplete sets! First off, I'll give the sets and comment a little bit.

10/4/10
Atlas III Push-up 8
Atlas II Sit-up 45
Tiger Bend Squats 68

And that's it....I quit, quit, quit! I'm sorry, but I'm no superman, I can not do 300 TBS in 12min! I did 68 in 3.5min and I can't walk a flight of stairs anymore! I quit!

10/5/10
Atlas III Push-up 9
Atlas II Sit-up 53
Tiger Bend Squats 3

I'm sore, stiff and in agony! Forget about a flight of stairs, lets start by trying to get out of bed! Did I mention I want to quit? Well, I do!

There will be no 10/6/10, not even a 7, 8, 9 or 10, maybe an 11? Nop! Nor a 12 or 13. Sorry guys, but moral is low, I'm in real pain, this is just to hard! I actually did quit!

Share |

10-20-2010, 09:30 AM

Hi guys,

So I kind of wimped out last Week. I wasn't able to perform anything more short of getting out of bed! So now I'm back and improved...I hope! I'm guessing that the begin is hard and that everybody has some trouble getting started.

This week I began working with statistics in excel. So I can calculate my next week's goal and overall progress.
I needed a couple of days of rest to recuperate from last week's Spartan training schedule
10/15/10
Atlas III Push-up 12
Atlas II Sit-up 75
Tiger Bend Squats 70
Atlas II Sit-up 31
Atlas III Push-up 6
The Milo 0

Well, I did something...sit-ups aren't a real problem, but I'm not doing them as prescribed. Atlas II is easier than Atlas I. Haven't quite figured out how the Milo works yet, Youtube was a stubb.

10/16/10
Atlas III Push-up 10
Atlas II Sit-up 65
Tiger Bend Squats 55
Atlas II Sit-up 40
Atlas III Push-up 10
The Milo 0

I'm powerless...I'm blaming yesterday's training.

10/17/10
Atlas III Push-up 10
Atlas II Sit-up 71
Tiger Bend Squats 65
Atlas II Sit-up 55
Atlas III Push-up 10
The Milo 0

I'm not making any progress, but I guess that my expectations are to high. What can someone expect?

10/17/10
Atlas III Push-up 16
Atlas II Sit-up 70
Tiger Bend Squats 2x50
Atlas II Sit-up 60
Atlas III Push-up 14
The Milo 2x 20 & 2x15

Found out how the Milo works...regretting it already! Saturday night was karate training, and guess what we did? Yes, multiple sets of squats and push-ups. I couldn't follow the rest, but I'm closing the gap!

How does this translate in %-age of eliteness:

Week 2
Atlas III Push-up 27.73%
Atlas II Sit-up 23.42%
Tiger Bend Squats 7.89%
Atlas II Sit-up 19.58%
Atlas III Push-up 22.86%
The Milo 100%

Goals for next week is my average of this week x total amount of minutes to accomplish the full exercise:

Week 3
Atlas III Push-up 14
Atlas II Sit-up 70
Tiger Bend Squats 284
Atlas II Sit-up 59
Atlas III Push-up 11
The Milo 100%

The TBS don't have me convinced for next week...but I won't quit this time...

Cheers
Eli

Last edited by Eli; 10-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Share |

10-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Eli, I think that you're being way too hard on yourself. The journey of a thousand steps starts with the first one for everyone. Tim Allen has a great thread on the on ramp to G.U.T.S. that I think is what you need to read and then set realistic goals for yourself for where you're really at and build up from there.

For me, the TBS hasn't been that bad, I got to 300 in twelve minutes after about two months. But, I've had years of martial arts stance training that helped that immensely. And, yes, for the first couple of weeks, I had to stop around 150 because some part of my legs (my calves and instep of my feet mostly) couldn't take it any more and my legs hurt big style the next day until just last week.

Atlas III pushups I can't get past 30 in a set without bad form yet, Atlas sit ups my best is 60 in a set. My elbows don't touch the ground yet either.

And, my whole body starts shaking on the MILO's, so I normally wind up doing two sets of five on each side before i'm done

But, even with that, I can feel stuff happening in my body.

Share |

10-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply...unfortunately my other post haven't appeared yet for some reason, but didn't quit. Although I wanted it so badly!
I'm three weeks down the road now and I've improved greatly. I can do all the exercises without rest. I'm not elite yet, but working my up gradually!

As soon as I figure out why my posts aren't coming through, I'll update my schedule!

Share |

Tags
g.u.t.s., progress, schedule, training