Share |
Goals that take G.U.T.S.

10-04-2010, 07:47 PM

"I have dreams, dreams to remember..."
Growing up as a chubby kid, then a chubby teenager, then a chubby college student, well you get the picture. After spending a big chunk of my life heavy, I'm living the dream now.
Current weight is 185#, @ 5'11". My BMI is still "overweight" but I'm darn close to actually being happy with the stomach of the guy in the mirror. In fact, I saw a Facebook pic of me, and wondered if I was getting too skinny! I write that off to growing up reading comic books and watching Stallone and Schwarzenegger.
(Stop what you doing right now and watch Bigger, Stronger, Faster. You'll be glad you did)

The Goals:
1. Train consistently, and intelligently at least 3-4 days a week. "Train, Don't Strain"- C. Atlas
2. Reach GUTS Elite Level by years end.
3. Shamrock 1/2 marathon in Virginia Beach VA, March 2011
4. Enjoy life in process
5. Be a good father and husband

Goal #5 may not seem exercise-y, but I am convinced they are related. More on that later.

The Plan:

A. GUTS based workouts Monday, Wednesday, Friday
B. Bootcamp class at my gym Tuesday, Thursday
C. Distance work Saturdays, i.e. The Long Run
D. Rest Sunday
F. Eat Food, Mostly Plants, Some Meat

I'll actually post a workout or two tomorrow.

Have fun,
Cliff

Share |

10-09-2010, 07:44 AM

My Current GUTS based routine: MWF
Atlas III PU's 4x22
Atlas situps 4x12
Squats 4x50
Chest Routine From Powerflex, Level 2 or all 7 tiger moves.

The idea is to increase by 10% or so every week, staying nice and comfortable. Was good for Monday, but couldn't get it done Wednesday or Friday due to sleep issues. I debate the merit of getting a workout in if it means you get less than 6 hours of sleep.

Bootcamp is more cardio based on Thursday, sprint intervals, bear crawls, crab walks, bleacher runs, puking, etc. Tuesday is a bit more strngth based, Tractor dragging, flipping them and endlessly holding a plank postiton. Pain, lots of pain. Love it.

Speaking of pain! Went for a long run last saturday. Goal was to run/jog for thirty minutes straight. Made it easily, then ran/walked for 20 mintes more, then walked for another 20 minutes or so. Felt great, beautiful weather, sunshine+endorphins= good day. Until I took my shoes off and found three black toenails. After Tuedays bootcamp, they were hurting and swelling. I took a 25 goauge needle at work and drilled through the top to aspirate the blood. Had to do it again Thursday. Good times. Taking today off so that I don't ruin my pedicure.

Share |

10-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Trying something Different with the GUTS training this week.
Dropping the squats.
*gasp* How can you drop squats and still call it GUTS? How can you drop squats and still consider yourself a man, let alone hope to ever look like Arnold or Stallone?
First, My goal is not really to look like Arnold or Stallone. My goal is to look like Charles Atlas. Or at least as close as I can given my body type.
Second, I hammer my legs Tuesday and Thursday with sprints and tire dragging and lots of squats, leap frog squats, side straddle hops, and lunges in various forms. I think right now I have legs covered.

Thus, I replaced Squats with Pullups in my 4 set circuit:
Atlas III PU's 4x22
Atlas situps 4x12
Pullups 4x5 (that was the goal, I didn't really make it)
Finish with Tiger Moves

Wow. I have not done pullups for roughly the 8 months my kid has been outside the womb. T-U-F-F, tough.

My Toenails took Tuesdays beating really well, no swelling, no pain, no need to jab myself with a needle again. Though we will see how it goes tomorrow, we are going to be at a playground in front of a giant hill....

Share |

10-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Consistency, consistency, consistency.
Listened to a lecture from a recent medical conference yesterday. The latest "official" medical knowledge is that it is possible to be Fat and Fit, Exercise alone is not enough to lose weight, and Fat loss requires a reduction in caloric intake. Low carb is only slightly better than any other diet, except for a low fat diet. Low fat dieting is no longer supported by any evidence.
All diets are basically the same in terms of weight loss for participants. The only really difference comes from the number of daily calories:
--> with 1400 daily calories expect to lose ~7.5% of your starting weight.
--> with 800 daily calories, expect to lose ~15%
--> with bariatric surgery, expect to lose ~30%

I know surgery is not a diet, but I found the doubling of numbers interesting.
Once you stop your caloric restriction (read: go back to normal), your weight starts to rise again. Even if exercising.
The only way to consistently keep the weight off is to consistently do that which caused the weight loss in the beginning. And exercise for roughly an hour 6 days a week if you want to keep it off for 5 years or more.

I guess that is why all diets are grossly equal, since once you quit they stop working. But it takes a good number of government funded studies to figure that out.

Speaking of Exercise
GUTS based MWF
Atlas III PU's 4x23
Atlas situps 4x13
Pullups 4x5
Finish with Tiger Moves

Really, that was Monday and part of Wednesday. The other half of Wed and all of Friday I did the same numbers but with variations of pushups, "core work, and pullup/chins.
Variety is good for the body and mind.

Still enjoying Bootcamp cardio Tuesday and Thursday.

My weight has really been fluctuating around 186-188 pounds. Not a big difference, I know. I would prefer hanging around 184-186. Nit-Picky? Yes.
The point being, my pants are fitting looser than previous, without a great reduction in my daily/weekly calories. Almost like exercise is good for you!

Share |

11-11-2010, 08:35 PM

The Good: 11 year anniversary last weekend! Friday morning we took the hardest group class at our gym (hardest next to the boot camp class, but they are taught by the same tough chick). Spent Friday Night @ a B&B in the mountains and hiked for over 2 hours Saturday!
The Bad: I had an Uncle die Sunday night. Out of town funeral Wednesday. Not a great exercise week, and lots of family togetherness means casserole comfortin'.

We'll get back to it next week. My Uncle died from complications from his completely uncontrolled diabetes.
Thus I am motivated anew to meet my goals for this year.
But I am physically and not just a little bit emotionally exhausted.
As I said, We'll start fresh Monday.

Share |

Tags
g.u.t.s., running, workout