Share |
MUR Workout: Don't ask. Well, ask if you want

07-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Wednesday Workout:

Pushups: 125 Tiger Stretch
25, 25, 25, 25, 25

Been reading and using Newton's advice on Focused Muscular Tension (FMT) or whatever it is. Basically concentrating on focusing the mind into the muscles during the pushup routine. One of my goals is to increase the upper body strength. Have more or less achieved my goals in the legs; but my upper body strength has always been below my expectations. Which may be the root of the problem.

You have to set an internal goal to achieve your desired results. And after about 6 or so years, i believe I've finally reached that point. But my current goal is to hit half of what I do in squats on a daily basis in five sets. Can hit 500 squats with no real problem in less than 15 minutes. So, am aiming for 5 sets of 50 to hit 250 pushups.

Doing the lower set reps and doing more seem to help increase the strength. And I do have to be careful to eat more protein. I'm eating more eggs.Well, actually one egg a day is about what i do. Usually, I eat tuna. Sometimes hamburger. Today marks the first day where with good form and focused inner tension (FIT) have hit five sets of 25. For those who have been following the thread, you should be aware that I've been recovering from some strained muscles in the upper right shoulder. For the most part the pain is gone. I can sense some limited stiffness. But it continues to improve and am feeling pretty good now.

But the other day decided to up the rep count to 25 per set. Hit 4 sets of 25 and finished the last set at 20. Towards the last of the last set can feel the muscles in the right shoulder weaken. Today not so much. Managed 5 sets of 25 fairly easy today. So, I'm halfway along my journey to 250: 5 sets of 50. So, today's results were encouraging.

Did two sets of 25 at Whitesucker rock on the banks of the Cowashannock Creek. Jumped in to cool off. And biked a few more miles and did 3 more sets 25 to finish off. Getting better at the breast stroke. Now am starting to develop some speed. Maybe I'll join the YMCA. Just added a 25 meter pool to go along with their new facilities in town. My old landlord says he does about 20 laps of the crawl. He's 82 or 83 now. Attributes his swimming routine to saving his life through some of the rougher bouts he's had with other health problems.

Squats: 500 Tiger Bend.
About 14 minutes or so. Not concentrating so much on the speed anymore as much as on focusing the mind into the whole motion of the squat.

Back Bridge: 180 count.

Continuing to rock back and forth while doing these. And descending down to the flats of the feet, if possible. The rocking motion adds a dynamic element to the stretching effect of the exercise. And switching from the balls of the feet to the flats of the feet during the routine help to increase the flexibility of the neck and leg muscles.

Chest Routines: Done in between the sets of squats and pushups.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

07-27-2012, 06:14 PM

PowerHank, as always your posts are great, Im looking forward to reading your posts on increasing your tiger stretch push-ups, because I just got the go ahead a few weeks ago from my sports doc, to start TSPU again, yesterday I did 2x6, for the second time in almost 5 months, my left arm felt pretty good, but my shoulder was weak, because of not being able to train really hard for a while after my bicep tendon rupture, got some good advice from Greg also, I want to be able to eventaully be able to do 1x100 TSPU, maybe I can pick up some tips along the way from you so I can someday reach that goal, great to see you posting again, thanks aging for all the great posts.

Share |

01-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Haven't been posting too much lately. And I have been on somewhat of a spartan diet. Was able to get down to 162 lbs. eating oatmeal, wheat germ, alfalfa pills, and eggs. Cut out the sugar almost completely.

But had lost quite a bit of weight. Some of the weight loss was showing up in the face. I guess some people thought I didn't look too healthy. Feel great, though. Getting back on more of a regular diet. But sure noticed the abs showing up quite well after losing just about all of the mid section's belly weight and was getting good definition on the pectoral and shoulder muscles.

Just a word of appreciation to John Peterson and those on the forum. All those years--I guess I've been doing these exercises for about 7 or 8 years now. Great forum. And I'm deeply in your debt.

Well, today's workout: pretty short.

Tiger Bend Squats: 133
I've modified these somewhat. Came up with an interesting twist. Really seems like it energizes the body. But instead of pulling up the arms just parallel to the ground, pull them straight up reaching for the sky while pulling in a deep breath. Can hear and feel the shoulders popping. Seems like as I get older--55 now--I'm starting to hear more pops.

Tiger Stretch Pushups: 25

Furey Back Bridge: 180 counts.
Still rocking back and forth. Seems like if you'll allow your feet to go flat, your neck stretches more making it easier to touch your nose to the mat. I just use a towel folded four times.

And that's it. Been kind of lax over the last few months. But will be getting back into the flow again.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

01-09-2013, 06:30 AM

PowerHank,great to see you posting again,congrats on your weight loss, did you any special ab exercises during this time to help define your abs and where you working out everyday, just doing the 3 exercises that your doing?It's always great to see your posts, hope to see a lot of them this coming year, there great,keep up the great work with your training, I myself will be 55 in Aug. It's a beautiful thing,take care.

Share |

01-24-2013, 01:34 PM

Hey, Dynogoalie. Good to hear from you again. I've faithfully done the chest routines from Pushing Yourself to Power (PYTP) and have concentrated on tension on the stomach muscles. Have done the GUTS routine for a few months. Think I was close to hitting specs for the Atlas situps.

But mainly I have concentrated on the squats, pushups, and the bridge (the Trinity) over the last 6 or 7 years. I think it's true what has been said here before: Your abs are there if you've done the work, you just have to lose the belly fat before you can see them.

But it looks kind of impressive: Big arms and chest with a small belly. The one isometric routine that I have stuck with throughout this 7 year period is are the chest routines. And they truly are a body sculpture type exercise. And besides they give you phenomenal strength.

I try to incorporate other principles into the routines whenever possible. I usually look to see where a rotary movement can be incorporated into an isometric routine as opposed to a straight back and forth movement. I think it helps to develop the muscle from a multitude of different angles.

But for today's routine.

Tiger Bend Squats: 166

Tiger Stretch Pushups: 28

Furey Back Bridge: 180 count.

And I worked in the chest routines from PYTP substituting the MILOS for the rope pulls.

And that's it for today.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

01-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks PowerHank for the great post again, I am going to start doing some FMT exercises between my push ups,like Greg, has suggested ,I'm also going to get the Sinkham Chest and Arm course today, and give that a whirl also,I'm still a little confused with how to properly do FMT, exercises,but I'm going to give them a try,glad your workouts are going great, keep on posting, your posts are terrific, take care.

Share |

01-26-2013, 11:22 PM

Dynogoalie, I don't know. But this might help. Try focusing your mind into the breathing. Imagine breathing into the muscle group that you are working on. I try to imagine the actual process of what takes place in the body: the air oxygenating the blood on the inhale, the blood feeding the muscles on the exhale. Or just breathe into the muscles, and breathe out into the muscles making your mind focus only on the breathing and the muscle group you're working on.

That's what I try to do.

But anyway. Today's and yesterday's workout. I had taken somewhat of a sabbatical from the exercises for a few months and after posting 133 squats my legs were kind of like jelly for about a week. I could have easily done 500. But I knew what my legs would have felt like after such a long layoff.

Apparently, you can still keep the ability to do the reps even after not having done it for awhile. But your body is not used to repairing the muscles and your body will not respond as it had done while consistently doing a higher rep count. When I first started doing the Tiger Bend squats I thought it might be impossible to do 500.

But this week have done three days in a row the workout.

Yesterday's workout:

333 Tiger Bend Squats.
28 Tiger Stretch Pushups
180 count Furey Back Bridge.
And a set of the PYTP chest routines.

Today's workout:

25 Tiger Stretch pushups.
Am somewhat sore and tentative. So, I cut back a few.

500 Squats - 466 Tiger Bend ending with 34 Great Gama Jump Squats
Worked up a little bit of a sweat. When I first got up to 500 when I first started doing these I was leaving puddles of sweat on the floor. Now I just get kind of moist. I imagine if I had been doing 500 a day as I have done in the past, then I probably wouldn't break much of a sweat. But for now it worked up a good sweat.

Furey Back Bridge: 180 count

Did a few Liederman chest presses and a few MILOS.

And that's it.'

Hank

Share |

02-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Today's workout:

500 squats: 475 Tiger Bend, 25 Great Gama Jump Squats in about 16:30

Pushups: 25 Tiger Stretch Pushups

Furey Back Bridge: 180 count.

Worked in a few chest routines.

Hank

Share |

02-02-2013, 09:45 PM

Today's Workout.

500 Squats: 475 Tiger Bend, 25 Great Gama Jump Squats

25 Tiger Stretch pushups.

Furey Back Briidge: 180 count.

Worked in a few chest routines.

Hank

Share |

02-04-2013, 01:10 PM

PowerHank,
I'm glad your still knocking out those squats. It's always inspring to see your workouts.

Share |

Tags
bicycle, gama, hill, powerhank, squats