Share |
An interesting news article on plant-based nutrition

08-20-2013, 04:08 PM

In case you're interested here is a news article from a former ironman triathlete about the benefits of plant-based nutrition. Pretty much falls in line with a lot of what's been posted on the Transformetrics forum in regard to the benefits of plant-based nutrition.

http://news.yahoo.com/plant-based-di...181206386.html

Z-P

Share |

Author

08-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Hey DentonChristo,

I could not agree with you more.

However I want to make a point for those men that have e-mailed me about including meat or fish on a once in a while basis.

The way I view it, If a person is consuming 90% or more of his calories in the form of fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and grains that are either raw or lightly cooked there is nothing to be overly concerned about if he wants to have a steak from organic grass fed beef or bison once in a while or even enjoy wild Salmon from time to time.

I think that Paul Bragg's approach was ultimately the healthiest for all around strength and fitness. Simply put Bragg advocated what I have just stated above. Personally, I believe the more fresh vegetables and fruits the better. But I also believe that worrying about each and every mouthful that one consumes can be very counterproductive and turn a person into a virtual outcast from friends and family. In other words, I believe we need to be balanced in all areas of life.

Example: When I'm invited to the home of friends or family I always appreciatively eat what is served. The way I view it, I am so careful about what I eat on my own that I never worry about once in a while indulgences that are expressions of love and good will. The only thing I won't do is drink beer or soft drinks and that has never insulted anyone.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Hey my friends, I just wanted to share a couple of things with you.

We have gone to mostly a vegetarian diet. The other night when we were having a meat night (hamburgers) when I got to the table I noticed that a few of the patties looked a little strange. I asked what they did to those burgers because they looked different. My daughter Katelyn had made herself bean burgers (no beef, just beans). She said that she was not interested in eating beef that night because she was looking forward to eating her bean burger. Way to go Dentochristo. You are slowly converting my family. You don't understand what it is going to be like when we go down to Texas and they think that we are vegetarians. I will definitely be hung!

John, I want to share a story with you about receiving what is in front of you. One time while over at a friends house, we sat down to eat supper with them. They were running a little late because they had been at the beach all day and were tired. The man told his children to go and get us some water. His son brought me some water and I took a sip of it. It was the nastiest water I had ever drank. These people were very much into health food and I just thought it was something healthy like some sort of new mineral water. I sipped on it and when I got down to about half a glass, the man whose home that we were a guest in took a drink of his water. He spit it back in the glass and apologized. While they were at the beach that day, they had filled an ice cooler full of salt water to soak his feet in. I know I did the right thing by not complaining but I still can't get that nasty taste out of my mouth or mind. I have even wilder stories than that when we were living in the Dominican Republic and Haiti but those I went into with my eyes wide open.

Aaron

Share |

Author

08-21-2013, 05:09 PM

Hey Aaron,

I have really come to embrace the vegetarian lifestyle due in part to the fact that my Denise has become so good at cooking delicious Vegetarian Cuisine.

Yet, as a man of faith I allow myself the flexibility of enjoying the food that is presented to me when at the homes of Christian friends.

I say this in part because I have been in parts of the world where people are hungry and starving and while I do not think there is any excuse to intentionally eat unhealthy in the way that so many people do here in America, I feel real guilt in complaining about food knowing that there are so many who have no food at all.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-24-2013, 08:32 PM

Hey dentonchristo,
Sorry to get back to you so late. We will be in Corpus Christi in April. Do you live in Texas?

Aaron

Share |

Tags
nutrition