Share |
Exergenie Question for any one but especially John and Solytrain

07-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Hi John, Soly, anyone familiar...

I had the experience of using one of these devices... an old one I bought used for testing resistance walking... sort of a "lunge walk".

I set the resistance high and it seemed great the first walk...

On subsequent reps it seemed to lose resistance.

Is that normal? Is there any fix for it?

Thanks.

ChuckH

Share |

Legacy Member

07-30-2014, 03:29 AM

Hi Chuck,

I hope Soly chimes in on this. I haven't done any of the walking or lunging with the Exer-Genie. It is possible because you are using an older model that the unit has a lot of wear.

On the other hand, it is amazing the difference that the humidity can make on the unit. You can monitor this over time. Too, what kind of drag is the control line moving across? That makes a big difference.

Greg

Share |

Author

07-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Hello ChuckH,

This is an interesting question. Personally I do not think the age of the unit has much if anything to do with it because it creates resistance by winding the rope against itself. As long as the mechanism inside is sound there will be no loss of resistance. This is because it is resistance created through friction. What Greg states about humidity making a big difference is absolutely true as is the wear and tear on the rope itself. It may be that you could put a new rope into the unit and have exactly what you are looking for.

In my case, the only time I use an Exer-Genie is to use it for a single ultra intense repetition of "The Big Four" that borders on being an Isometric Contraction all the way.

I personally have never used it for resistance running or walking but I am sure that it would be very effective for that purpose.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 07-30-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-30-2014, 08:09 AM

Does the rope have any 'give'? Maybe that needs to be changed. As Greg said, humidity has an effect. Not so much on the mechanical portion...but the rope and the elasticity that it has at times and doesn't have at other times.

Just an idea

Share |

Author

07-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Greg and Isorez,

I know a man that has had the same Exer-Genie for more than 45 years and I mean that literally. He is a former Minnesota Viking from the Bud Grant era. He has uses his Exer-Genie to this day and won't even consider getting a different one because it functions perfectly. He changes the rope but that is it.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

07-30-2014, 09:11 AM

John,

I've compared the modern device I have to the original you sent me, and they seem to dovetail in resistance. I know eventually the rope does wear out and that can make a difference.

You could do four or five exercises with the Exer-Genie and combine it with pushups, sit-ups and running, and you would have quite a comprehensive routine for sports conditioning. I found a 1969 study comparing the Exer-Genie to weights for spring football practice and the Exer-Genie compared favorably.

BTW - how would you set this up? Simple - three days a week do your Exer-Genie movements first. The same could be done with the Isometric Power Belt. Superset pushups and sit-ups for 10 sets of 50% your max in either movement. After you got it down, you could do this in 30 minutes or less. On the other three days do your sprint or road work.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Newton; 07-30-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Share |

07-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Thank you everyone for your input!

I think I found the issue. This older "Apollo" unit is built a bit differently where you adjust the tension.

At the bottom where the ropes come out, you can see the "grooves" where the device "locks" to set the tension.

It's quite possible I had rotated the mechanism but not locked it down and it slipped back to a lower groove while I was pulling.

(The newer exergenie probably has something similar internally. Otherwise they seem entirely the same.)

This thing must have been well used. The inner chrome is worn down significantly. Someone put this to good use but for my purposes I believe it is still useful especially since it only cost less than $30 including shipping. I think I can use the original wooden handles too. For this application I bought 2 carabiners big enough to go through the loop on my hip belt and secured them to the rope with an anchor knot. This way I can do one "walk", disconnect and go back and connect to the other end.

I'm still working out the fine points. I thought I'd do regular upright walking on one cycle and then "backpedaling" but I ended up moving to a lunge style of step so I won't be backpedaling and having to change that resistance potentially.

I did put a brand new rope in because the old one was the usual size and I wanted at least 50 feet... so I put in a 100 foot rope and cut it to size so I wouldn't be walking into the street - or lunging rather!

I'll try it again Friday PM.

Share |

Tags
apollo exerciser, exergenie, isorobic