Share |
Which Bible to read?

08-13-2014, 01:28 PM

Not all of the Bible speaks to us all at once. Sometimes we read paragraph after paragraph, and suddenly a revelation jumps out, fresh, insightful, relevant. I'd read the Bible also as meditation, not only to comprehend with rational mind every word. One day you'll be going over one of these paragraphs written in an old-fashioned language, and the meaning just comes to you. I can't explain why or how, but that does happen. Faith is beyond rational mind and logic alone, and Bible isn't an ordinary book.

Share |

Author

08-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Ig 2014,

Those are some wonderful insights. I fully agree.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Hi, Ken.

Just a couple suggestions. The Gideon Bible Society has recently switched from passing out King James to now using the English Standard Version (ESV). I personally like the English Majority Text Version (EMTV) of 2011. Both translations used some of the more recent manuscripts.
The Bible uses basic vocabulary. And some do complain about the archaic words of the KJV. But irregardless it's an outstanding translation. But if you'll read the Bible, your faith will grow. Try the Lord. And you'll see that he is good.

Hank

Share |

Author

09-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Hey PowerHank,

Pastor Tim Allen has sent me several links that show clear evidence that in terms of scriptural integrity the King James Bible is still the very best translation of all English translations.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-30-2014, 09:12 AM

In principle I would say that if the translators want to try to stay true to the original meaning of the words written by the authors, then they should put out a dependable and worthy translation.
Most books have a preface. And the reader of the Scripture should be careful to read the translator's.
In general a good translator will endeavor to stay true to original meaning of the words in the original languages of the apostles and the prophets. This intent is reflected in the preface of the KJV, the ESV. the NIV, as well as others.

Some versions explicitly state other intentions in their preface such as the Living Bible, Good News, etc. They may say that they are a paraphrase or more of a personalized rendering of the texts. As such one cannot really feel certain that he is reading the true meaning of the original author.
And hence the dream about reading a comic book version of the Bible.

Share |

01-16-2015, 10:04 AM

Kenpopaul - you may find this site very helpful: https://www.youversion.com

From there you can download an app (the Bible) to your PC, phone, or other mobile device. Or, you can simply use that site to read the Bible. The most interesting (to me) facet is that this app provides scores of versions that you can then easily compare to see which speaks to you best today. I am reading the NIV version, but enjoy rereading a passage in other versions! This app also provides a great many Bible reading plans. Last year I read the entire Bible for the first time in my life using one of these plans. Each plan is offered with a synopsis of the intent or purpose for that plan and then you can read a sample of the daily reading. There are plans for the entire Bible, just the New Testament, or even specific needs that the reader may have. I wouldn't suggest that this replace reading a hard-copy Bible, but for me this provided the incentive and convenient always-with-me way to read The Word daily. In addition, the app also includes an audio version of many of the versions. I found the speaker to be excellent and helped me understand the pronunciation of many difficult names and words. And, most of the versions can be downloaded in their entirety so you never have to be connected to the Internet to read. Oh yes, all this is at no cost.

In summary, I like it and suggest this app to all my friends that show any interest in reading the Bible.

Share |

01-16-2015, 12:45 PM

Hey Guys,
I use the Amplified Bible, I have a Bible App on my phone and can get KJV , Amp, and a few others.

https://www.bible.com/bible/8/jhn.1.amp

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

01-26-2015, 06:44 AM

Which one to read? The one that speaks to you.

For many years a 1983 NIV study Bible was what I used. I could understand it and it had footnotes that explained history, geography, and the meanings of certain passages. These days I use the King James, but also use other translations as well.

The bottom line is, you have to understand what you are reading. For a young adult of today with limited reading skills to attempt to understand the archaic language of the King James, is like the early church keeping the Bible in Latin. You can't understand it and you have to depend on clergy to explain their interpretation to you.

The early scriptures were written in Koine Greek, which was the common linga franca of that day thanks to Alexander the Great conquering the known world. The Gospel or "Good News" is simple and should be made easy for people to understand.

Greg

Share |

Author

01-26-2015, 01:04 PM

Hey Friends,

Greg is making an excellent point.

My recommendation is that you go to Bible Gateway and check out the various translations that are available to you there at no cost. Virtually every English translation is available in its entirety on Bible Gateway.

Check this out: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/

On another Note: Some of you may not know this, so I will tell you. My company Koechel/Peterson & Associates has typeset and designed more than 100 Bibles of virtually every English translation that is currently on the. We have worked with almost every major Bible Publisher. This brings up a point. I have been on the board of a major ministry for the past 17 years. One of the board members is a very close friend and Bible translator. In my discussions with him, he has convinced me that best English translation in terms of translational accuracy using the most ancient of scrolls (several of which come from the Dead Sea Scrolls collection).

Go here:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...27&version=ISV

---John Peterson

Share |

01-28-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Hey Friends,

On another Note: Some of you may not know this, so I will tell you. My company Koechel/Peterson & Associates has typeset and designed more than 100 Bibles of virtually every English translation that is currently on the. We have worked with almost every major Bible Publisher. This brings up a point. I have been on the board of a major ministry for the past 17 years. One of the board members is a very close friend and Bible translator. In my discussions with him, he has convinced me that best English translation in terms of translational accuracy using the most ancient of scrolls (several of which come from the Dead Sea Scrolls collection).

Go here:

---John Peterson
If anybody is having trouble with the above link try this one:

ZP

Share |