Share |
Training Daily? Yes, No, Maybe? It All Depends...

12-26-2014, 10:27 AM

I alternate between vertical pushing, vertical pulling, quad dominant and core exercises one day then the next day I'll do horizontal pulling, horizontal pushing, hamstring and core. I go by feel regarding sets and reps but I usually superset upper body exercises until those sets are complete then I'll superset lower body. I don't use high reps anymore either. I focus on more difficult exercises and use tension and isometric holds during the reps. As many on this board know I was a believer in high reps (50+) , I had good endurance but it just wasn't changing my physique at all. Using these methods I'm noticing that my muscles are fuller and harder looking, that's what I've been after all along! After my workout I walk outside, a treadmill on high incline or do step ups on a 10 inch step for 20 minutes. While doing that I will do different exercises with 3-5 pound dumbbells or I will do upper body self resistance exercises. Monitoring my heart rate it stays between 130-140 bpm the whole time.the entire workout takes about 45 minutes.

Share |

12-26-2014, 05:06 PM

Thank you Weaponx. When you say vertical pushing do you mean standing up and pushing through the air or regular push ups? What are the more difficult excersises? Thanks again. I just turned forty and been doing high rep and feel I need to change the routine.

Share |

12-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Vertical push: parallel bar dip or handstand pushup (or a modified version of same)
Vertical pull: any variation of pullups or chin up
Horizontal push: feet elevated, hands wide pushup, archer pushup, any "difficult" pushup. Don't bounce and do sloppy reps just for numbers. Go slow, use tension, feel your chest muscles flexing. Trust me when I tell you I never listened to that advice and just did high numbers which has did nothing g for my physique!
Horizontal pull: body rows using a tow strap or whatever you can yse, improvise, be creative.
Legs: balance squat, one leg squat or a modification thereof, lunge, hip bridge
Core: wheel roll outs, planks, leg raises
I've been going by feel, but it's usually 6 sets per movement, 6-12 reps.
I've been getting into more walking briskly pumping light dumbbells for 20 minutes to an hour in lieu of running. If you can get easy 15 reps if an exercise either move slower and use more tension (you can even "hold" at the toughest point) or, decrease your leverage. Hope that helps
John

Share |

12-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Very helpful. Thank you.

Share |