Share |
LaSierra High School PE 1960s

02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Hi, All,
I stumbled upon this video and think how far our young people, especially young high school boys have fallen into a state of horrible fitness. Now the exercises these kids were doing back then, you would find very few at any high school in the USA that could even do a push up.

My distance runners do quite a bit of body weight stuff that takes minutes and makes them strong., Today we will do pull ups after our run and do 5 sets. The kids that struggle get a partner who holds their feet to lessen the load.

I have a couple kids that can do muscle ups and superman push ups like Jack Lalanne.

The highest level of this program which was done by colors is climbing a 20' rope twice non stop with your feet and legs in an"L" position.

Too bad fitness is not cool like it was back then.
I remember in the 70s we would get small booklets on push ups, situps and pull ups.

Here is the short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGa6BPj3Mcw

The school I teach at only requires one year of PE, what a joke!!!!

Monty

Share |

02-12-2015, 03:07 PM

Great post, Monty! That is amazing! Looks like a very fun PE class!

Blessings!

Share |

02-15-2015, 10:15 AM

Hey guys,
I've seen this video as well. I've searched and searched as to how the program was set up but have not been able to find much. I do know that the workouts were short, something like 10 minutes per day. Any info would be appreciated

Share |

Banned

02-15-2015, 10:31 AM

I was a student in the 1960s in New York and the UK, fitness was pushed in shools, Calisthenic exercises and Running important. K to around 7th had a break in the morning and afternoon to go outside as well as Gym classes. High School had Gym 3 times a week and there was Baseball Leagues Little League etc, plus in School Baseball and Soccer; in the UK there was School Leagues for Soccer. I suspect that the Atlas Program influenced fitness then and most kids walked to school. Life then involved walking even in cities. Diets were what our parents had eaten and many dad's had fought in WWII and many moms were War Brides.

Share |