Share |
GUTS-ISOS and succesfully strangling people!

11-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Crazy title huh? I thought that would get your attention. So here’s the deal. I’ve been very consistent with my Iso routines for well over a month now and even more recently (a few weeks) I’ve been getting in the GUTS workouts. Honestly I haven't been able to consistently get in a GUTS session as much as I’d like, first I got sick right when I got the book then either I’d be to sore from my MMA training or else I wouldn't get a good night sleep so I would have to skip a workout to recover. Yet and still I have been getting in 2-3 sessions a week of this routine and this is on top of my standard fight training, as I already mentioned Iso sessions plus I do pushups on the Ts 3 times a week.

So this is what I’ve noticed in the last couple weeks. When I’m rolling in JJ class and I take someone’s back and go for the rear naked choke and they defend by tucking the chin my squeeeeeeze has gotten so good that they can’t defend it. Now its not always the best thing to muscle a choke in JJ because the art is based on going with the least resistance and usually its better to transition into another move rather then waste energy, but with my new found strength (and I’ve always been considered pretty strong, not to toot my own horn or anything) it’s pretty easy to just put a squeeze on and finish the move.

I attribute this higher choke/finish% to the two things I’ve already mentioned ISOS and GUTS. First I will talk about the ISOS. Refer to my 40 years in 40 minutes to get a brief overview of my Iso routine. It’s pretty obvious to see how pulling as hard as you can against an immovable object will help your squeezing strength when grappling. So that’s all ill say about that.

But now let’s move onto GUTS. I believe that the MILO which is shown in a number of Johns book and is one of the exercises in the GUTS routine is of great benefit to people involved in the grappling arts. And let me explain why. When you go for a choke or are wrestling with an opponent especially if were talking about the clinch position your constantly pummeling against your opponents arms. Even if you have never wrestled or grappled you can probably see how this fatigues your arms greatly to the point were there is an extreme amount of lactic acid to the point were it becomes very hard for you to even lift your arms if your not trained for it.

To me the MILO replicates this level of fatigue in the arms and has helped me tremendously. The other thing that you have to think about with the routine is the order of the exercises, you are rarely going to have to go for a choke or pummel when your fresh, most the time you’ll be out of breath and have to muster up the will to go for the finish. The GUTS routine makes sure that you are pre-fatigued BEFORE you start working those arms. Even if you don’t use GUTS as a foundational routine (which you should) if you at least get in 2-3 sessions a week you WILL see an improvement and conditioning carryover to the mat and ring.

In closing it might seem wrong talking about strangling people on a holiday but I am truly grateful to John for introducing me to a system of training that helps with it. Thanks JP have a Happy Turkey Day.

Last edited by Greg Newton; 12-10-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Enhanced the readability of a great post!

Share |

11-26-2009, 01:49 PM

One thing i just thought about.I had a buddy of mine post a couple of my fights on the forum awhile back,but that was on the old one before it got ruined.Since some of the newer members havent seen them i thought i id mention that if you type in my name Shane Brenner on youtube you can watch a couple of my older fights.All my training for these fights was either BWE or just fight training in the gym.No weights what so ever!BWE and the likes can make you incredibly strong dont take my word for it just do them and you will see!

Share |

11-26-2009, 02:03 PM

There is no better way to execute the total control of your WILL over your body and your entire consciousness than Isometrics.

Share |

11-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
There is no better way to execute the total control of your WILL over your body and your entire consciousness than Isometrics.
Those are wise words spoken from a man that KNOWS FROM APPLICATION.

Share |

Banned

11-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Having wrestled in HS & College and also being on the University Judo team, know you are right. Our Sensi also taught JuJitsu. He taught us to strangle people out, we all experienced being strangled, as you slipped under it felt so warm, floating and music, diffent people heard differnt music. Then he'd revive us. Isometrics are the bomb. I've come to see Isometrics as including DVR/VRT. DSR, Classical Isometrics, Isometric Powerflexing, and even Powerflex and the M7.

Share |

Legacy Member

11-26-2009, 07:45 PM

BK,

I found one of your videos on YouTube. I've embedded it here for people to see. Good stuff, bro!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Anyone who doesn't know BK is the one with the goatee.

-Joe

Share |

11-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks Joe i appreciate you doing that.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-10-2009, 01:17 PM

A little bump.

-Joe

Share |

12-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post
A little bump.

-Joe
Thanks Joe i appreciate it brother.However this was not the thread that i was reffering to.Id have to go back a few pages.I think its called literally the Iso Motivation thread or something.Lately i have been making quite a few post about ISOS.Also due to the title of this one i can see how it could be a little off putting to non combat athletes.Either way thanks again Joe for posting my videos and bumping my thread.

PEACE

Share |

Legacy Member

12-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Thanks Joe i appreciate it brother.However this was not the thread that i was reffering to.
Dangit!

I think I got it this time: http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...ead.php?t=3145

Hey, speaking of combat sports, what did you think of Big Country's win in The Ultimate Fighter? That guy really know how to throw his weight around!

-Joe

Share |

Tags
g.u.t.s., isometrics, mma