Share |
John, a friend says that Push-ups will cause the same problems as bench pressing...

Author

12-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Hey Friends,

I received a PM from a man whose friend had torn both rotator cuffs as a result of heavy bench pressing. His friend (the injured man) is adamant that Push-Ups cause the same kind of problem to the shoulder structure as does bench pressing. The man sending the PM wondered if I agree. The answer is NO! Absolutely not. The two cannot even be compared. WHY?

Simple! Because when you are performing a heavy bench press you have the bench that you are lying on preventing a natural and full flexion of the muscles, joints, tendons, and ligaments of the shoulder and supportive upper back structure. In essence they are "locked in". it's almost as if your shoulder is locked into a vice between the weight you are lowering and pressing and the bench behind you. So guess what happens? POP! The chain is over stressed at it's weakest point and as a result the rotator cuff tears and ligaments and tendons of the shoulders are destroyed.

This is also true of EVERY other variation of "Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome" take your pick. Friends, literally stop and visualize what I am saying. A chain will always break at it's weakest link. EVERYTIME! No exceptions. Heavy weight training will create, reveal, and destroy all weak links over time. Example: Heavy Squatting will destroy the spinal discs of the lower spine and make you shorter. Not to mention destroy the flexibility of your lower spine. It will destroy your knees as they are over stressed to the point that ligaments surrounding the joint are over stretched and no longer stabilize the joint. Same thing happens to the hips. And all of this is exacerbated when one takes steroids that allow the muscles to become far stronger at an accelerated rate beyond the connective tissues.

Our exercises, the one's I teach and have always taught are totally natural. They allow full flexion and extension of all supporting muscle structures. Example: Push-Ups performed at multiple angles will protect the shoulder joint, supportive ligaments and tendons while building and sculpting the entire musculature. The body is allowed a completely natural flexion with no restriction. Same is true for Pull-Ups, Sit-Ups, Atlas Leg Raises, Tiger Bend Squats and Tiger Stretch Push-Ups provided no pre-existing injury is already present.

Bottom line: If you have friends training on weights and machines where they are locked in to un-natural patterns of movement it should be you warning them about injury and not the other way around.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 12-30-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Excellent post John. That is the best explanation I have ever read as to the difference between weight training and the power calisthenics you recommend.

As well, pushups are a whole body exercise. Rather than being wedged into a bench, your body is creating an isometric platform where the thighs, the spinal erectors and the abdominals are keeping the body aligned. If any out there do not believe this, do 100 consecutive pushups, if you can, and then tell me this is just a chest and tricep exercise.

Greg

Also, for any of you that have heard the warnings about "overuse" injuries from doing power calisthenics in high repetitions, I can truthfully say that all my major injuries: spinal deterioration, rotator cuff, and aching knees came from my years of weight training endeavors not from the things John recommends. In fact, many of the things I can do now, I had to adapt to slowly and with modifications because of all the weight training injuries. A good example is the pushup. For quite awhile I could only do the military version and didn't lock out because of my shoulders. Now I can do all the Atlas versions and the Tiger Stretch in hundreds of reps and I lock out. Once again, great post John.

Last edited by Greg Newton; 12-30-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Share |

Author

12-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Hey Greg,

I'm honored by what you have stated but if anyone literally knows the difference from having trained intensively at both, IT'S YOU MY FRIEND! Our methods, the ones that you now teach, will literally correct muscular imbalances and heal old injuries caused by the weights. And let me also state that BUSTED UP WEIGHTLIFTER SYNDROME IS REAL! And it's real because of the reasons outlined above but there are many, many more. Thanks again Greg.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
As well, pushups are a whole body exercise. Rather than being wedged into a bench, your body is creating an isometric platform where the thighs, the spinal erectors and the abdominals are keeping the body aligned. If any out there do not believe this, do 100 consecutive pushups, if you can, and then tell me this is just a chest and tricep exercise.
Forget that! Just try to hold the the plank position for 5 minutes, and you'll be able to tell real quick that more than your triceps and chest are used in doing push-ups.

-Joe

Share |

12-30-2009, 03:51 PM

There is no comparison between pushups and bench presses. Pushups feel natural and they are. They are a full body exercise. Pushups create and much better build. I remember when I was in my 30s and a member of the YMCA, I would see those older bench pressers with their sagging boobs and think how pathetic they looked.

Share |

Author

12-30-2009, 05:11 PM

Hey Gordon,

I'm tracking with you my friend. My wife tells me that the sagging bench pressers boobs are one of the biggest "turn offs" to women.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-30-2009, 05:32 PM

And that is one of the primary reasons that the aging Wylie Coyotes are so angry. They never had it,but now even their fantasys have left them.

Share |

12-30-2009, 07:36 PM

I agree with Greg that this is the best post explaining the nature of what happens to the body in weight training. I have my own testimony of how busted up weights can make a person. I tore my left rotator cuff years ago doing dumbbell flyes with a stupid amount of weight. To this day, I still battle with the effects of that injury, but have begun experiencing the healing and restorative powers of faithfully applying the methods taught here.

Another situation occurred with carpal tunnel syndrome that the doctor told me was the result of the cumulative use of weights over years. I am right handed, and the diagnosis was more severe in my left arm that my right (see Greg's added comments about use). Additionally, the doctor wanted to move the ulner tendon from its place on the back of my elbow to the front (if you keep up with baseball, you will note that this surgery is routine in the MLB). I ultimately elected to not go under the knife in favor of an outstanding osteopathic doctor in Dallas. I let myself go physically and did nothing for a year or so. I soon found Bronze Bow and a new journey began for me.

The bottom line is, weight training can have destructive effects on the body long-term. If one wants to employ that method of training, then good for him. But to master one's own body weight is the ultimate fitness achievement.

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

Author

12-30-2009, 08:28 PM

Hey Max,

I'm sorry to read about your injuries but I am delighted to read about your recovery. There are too many folks that don't realize that 'Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome' is REAL. .But the good news is that with the right methods of exercise, fully restored function is not only possible, it can often times be surpassed. The KEY is the right methods and that is exactly what we teach.

Now, for all of my friends that would like to read something hilarious if it did not border on the insane, I'll share it with you. Believe it or not, there is one guy that set out to prove me wrong about 'Busted Up Weight Lifter Syndrome' that has busted himself up in the process. I kid you not. I can't think of anything more bizarre, foolish, or downright stupid than to intentionally put one's self in harms way for the sole purpose of trying to prove another man wrong, only to verify and prove that he was absolutely right. That my friend is a Wile E. Coyote if ever there was one. DUMB! DUMB! DUMB! But to each his own.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Jonathan,

You are a wise man. The guys I am envious of are guys like Joe Justice who know have not seriously applied any other training method other than this. He will be the better for it. Greg, myself, and many others are having to take the long road back toward health. Actually, Greg has, for all intents and purposes, achieved that level. I am well on my way. But the fact is, the Transformetrics methods are second to none and the best proven ways to achieve the fitness level anyone desires to achieve.

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

Tags
busted up, weight lifting